Public land hunts

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by joeys.17, Mar 22, 2018.

1. joeys.17

joeys.17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been thinking about public land hunting just to afraid of going out there and getting kicked out and discouraged by other hunter.. any suggestions?

w33kender likes this.
  2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously, learn the particular rules & regs for any patch of public land you want to hunt in advance.

Then, compare the maps the state in question provides with google maps satellite feature. Take notes on roads you want to scout in the off-season. Look for narrow areas in the timber with several habitat edges meeting together. Young pines, drainages, tall timber. Then scout those places that look good on satellite. Take note of what oaks grow there as well as any soft mast, depending on your region. Could be persimmons, apples, paw-paws, grapes.

I love to hunt drainages that connect to ridge systems and if a cutover connects, even better. Deer love habitat where several edges of different habitat types come together. You don't have to hunt over a hot food source if you know tight areas where they love to travel.

Pay attention to how the wind works for any tree you want to climb. But since you won't be hunting over bait or a food plot, getting a deer to blow at you isn't a hunt ruiner. They could come from any direction. Yes, this has happened to me....climber aimed one way, deer comes from behind me. LOL.

Most important of all, keep quiet about what you find unless you have a friend you can guarantee won't bring friends in there when you can't hunt.

But keep in mind, there are no secret honey holes on public land. If you bump into someone already set up, do the right thing and back out of there. Always have a plan B, C, D, and E. LEARN the land you want to hunt!!! On public land I used to hunt, I had a dozen spots, all of which gave a reasonable chance at seeing deer or pigs.

It's extremely exciting, rewarding, and pressure-free to hunt public land.

Invest in a game cart. Read that again. I've dragged deer and pigs for over a mile on public land. I'll never kill another animal that far in without my game cart. I turn 50 in a few weeks and my body just can't recover from a long drag like it used to.

I'm new to bow hunting, but I've years of experience of hunting with a rifle in tight, bow compatible areas on public land. It's a blast. But keep in mind, those wide open TV hunting type of shots isn't where you're most likely to see a nice buck. Tight, tight, tight edgy areas with short shooting lanes are the ticket.

jacobs117, WillO and Jaberry like this.
  3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Agree with most of what you said except the bolded statement.

Going back to a statement alleged to have come from Alfred Hitchcock when asked if 2 people can keep a secret..."sure, if one of them is dead"

My family does not even know where I am-meaning that they could not point to it on a map. They have directions to get there in case sh@t hits the fan.

My best hunting buddy only knows it's west of XXXX and I know the general location of where he hunts.

WillO and w33kender like this.
  4. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you don’t want to run into other hunters and issues like that, here are a couple notes, first good thing your a bow hunter, I don’t like the punk in patch in gun season either, second it’s a a function of scouting and be in shape for a longer walk, in most cases more than a mile should work,
    So last year I did just that and had two spots picked out, ran into two folks that we in different spots but I did have a third picked out, 30 minutes later I walked out with a nine point... be low key it will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

w33kender likes this.
  5. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Late to the party and lots of good advice given here. I'll echo the fact that you will see other people, the key is to use them to your advantage. Also talk to them in the parking lot to lessen the chances of disturbing each other.

I'll also add that I wouldn't get caught up in getting in deep. A lot of people share that idea and will walk by some stellar spots because it's too close. Some of my favorite spots are real close to the parking area, or the small overlooked patch on the other side.

I love hunting public. Finding the deer is always exciting to me.

w33kender likes this.
  6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't agree with this. I have found that most folks will stick closer (easier) to parking areas. I go in as far from parking as I'm able and I almost never see another hunter on the public land I hunt.

Dustin Lorah and pick00l like this.
  7. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly depends on the property. Learning other user's habits on a particular piece is equally important as learning the deer patterns. I think that was the root of my comment. Thanks Early In

8. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There's usually a parking area for various roads or gates. Sometimes the best access routes to deer woods are not the paths every hunter uses near that parking area. A smart hunter will walk back up the vehicle road and enter the woods at a slough or saddle 300 yards from the parking area and sit tight. Hunters entering and leaving the woods will push deer to you. Not necessarily running in fear, but the pressure of that parking area (doors closing too loudly, human voices) will put you in a deer's living room or travel area.

Off season scouting is essential to find these kind of advantages.

9. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last season I spent two Saturdays, scouting, having some hesitation
    Drove through a medium sized WMA and got fairly comfortable. As my day arrives I find two trucks right where I was going, spot number two a guy is unloading as I pull up, headed right where I was going so I backed out again which put me around the middle of the WMA, crossed a shallow gorge and sat silent for 20 mins, as I sat half way down the hill, I hear something approaching behind me, drew three times then on third time, bagged a nine pointer.
    You just never know for sure, always stay excited.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use onX hunt, you can see exactly where property lines are.

11. IH122

IH122 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love hunting public land ( most of the time). I have hunted several different areas where I have hunted many different animals and have never ran into too many people. Most people seem to be pretty respectful of others as far as I have noticed.

12. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Know the property lines and be respectful of private property, I own 40 acres surrounded by stateland and everyone seems to hunt our very posted property lines. Not illegal but not very sportsman like if you ask me.