Pse octane

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Harrell stewart, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Harrell stewart

Harrell stewart Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey new here I got a pse octane as a gift from a friend brand new. Need advice on what to throw on it to get the best use out of it going to be bow hunting with it. First time. looking for sights,quiver, rest, etc

2. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't mean octane addon-parts ?
    I don't know a PSE Octane, and there is no such bow in the current PSE lineup.
    What you prefer.
    For a beginner, I would suggest to start with a whisker biscuit rest and a 3 of 5-pin sight.
    Call on a dealer or an experienced friend, setting up a compound bow properly is not that simple.

3. Harrell stewart

Harrell stewart Newb

Dislikes Received:
  4. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only reference I found was a PSE model list, indicating the octane was more or less a 2007 one-year episode.
    Somehow in conflict to the "brand new" label...
    Which doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. As a single-cam bow, it seems to be aimed more at beginners or casual archers.
    Anyway, I would still suggest a pro shop to get the components installed.
    Not only will they do it properly (usually), for some components like peep and drop-away arrow rest you need a bow press, costing at least as much as this bow.
    And they will do the basic tuning for/with you.

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also would recommend going with a whisker biscuit rest...or something with full containment..a 5 pin fixed sight (probably only use the top 2 or 3 for hunting but the extra pins will be nice if you get into doing some 3d shoots) set at 10 yard increments starting with 20, a wrist style release with d-loop on the bow, and a nice removable quiver like an Alpine soft-loc, G5, etc. If in a stand you'll like being able to quickly/quietly remove the quiver. I like B-stinger hunter stabilizers, you can add/remove 1oz weights to your preference and they'll add a bit of sound dampening. Don't forget a wrist strap.
    Have the pro shop that sets up the bow recommend arrows, or we could do it here once you know what draw length and poundage you are going to be running.
    If hunting from a stand pace off distances in your shooting lanes so you don't have to judge yardage when an animal walks in, or buy some rangefinders if you already don't have them.