Plythal, Pneumagear, First Lite, Sitka

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Shocker99, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for more of people’s opinions on one vs the others or any negative feedback on any of them. Fit, finish, etc. I was going to purchase all new camo last year and thought wth.... I’ll get one more season out of my cheap Gamehide Matthews camo. Well the time has come. I’ll be washing and selling all of it. I was uncomfortable on a couple sits this year. The coldest sit I had I put the heavy suit on and it was just too bulky. Cost me a bad shot on a doe. So like a broken record on the clothing stuff here I’m asking thoughts on all of these. I know a lot of people like the Sitka and firstlite so I guess I’m wondering from any pneuma or Plythal users if you think they stack up to the 2 bigger names. It saves a little money but if I’m gonna be shelling out $1500 for new camo I don’t want to have any regrets. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. jar.van

jar.van Newb

Dislikes Received:

Where are you hunting? What are the temps when you hunt. I'm in Northern Wisconsin and use the "cheap" Gamehide early and switch to Sitka Fanatic when the weather gets cold. The Sitka is by far the best I've worn. I'm heading west for Elk this year so the Fanatic Lite is on the shelf for this year but is going to be back on next year. Or the new FirstLite stuff. I prefer to wear my harness under my jacket and First lite has some new gear that has that.

Shocker99 likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in southwest Illinois. Across river from St. Louis, MO. For the most part it’s pretty mild here anymore but then you could be hunting in single digit temps. I too have gamehide stuff which I don’t mind but I want something with a wind barrier. The wind cuts straight through that gamehide stuff

4. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka fanatic has been great for when its 20 degrees and colder, any warmer out and it becomes an oven. Pretty quiet and I havent had any issues with it being too bulky.

5. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The last few years I have transitioned to First Lite merino wool, piece by piece. Its too expensive to buy everything at once, but I'll purchase a seasonal "system" at a time (jacket, pants, base layer.) Good wool clothing allows me to hunt in harsh conditions or warmer weather, without having to have a ton of different sets of hunting clothes. I have been much more comfortable in the stand with good wool, compared to even some higher end Under Armour stuff I've worn. Look for the weight/percentage of the wool when researching different brands.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  6. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Update on this I started purchasing Plythal on Camofire cheap. It’s very nice stuff and seems right up there with Sitka and firstlite maybe a half a notch below. Will update again maybe next fall. If I order any lighter pieces before turkey season I will be wearing them

7. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Brandon, I have the plythal extreme rut jacket and with a good base layer, the jacket is tough as nails, quiet, and holds up well to water and wind. Seems light and I was skeptical it would keep me warm but I’m very impressed. I need to get the pants now.

Shocker99 likes this.
  8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Check camofire regularly they have been running a sale on it about once a week

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    great Sitka deals on CamoFire today...not to change anyone's mind as I don't really have allegiance to any of them.