Planned obsolesence?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Jun 19, 2018.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all but convinced that most of these trail cam companies build their cams to only last a couple years. With today's advances in tech, they could do MUCH better. I have bought quality cams over the years, but my Cudde Attack is the only one that's lasted more than 3 years. Mine is now 6 years old and still working great! Even my Coverts, which I love, don't last more than 2 or 3 years. Anyone agree with this thinking?

ruteger likes this.
  2. revwilder

revwilder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If they didn't stop you wouldn't buy more and they would be out of business.

That's why I purchase good but inexpensive cameras. When they quit I can buy another. $75 once in a while is better than $500 because they will all stop working at some point.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

WillO and Okiebob like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would be interesting to hear from the home-brew crew what they get for longevity.

greatwhitehunter3 and revwilder like this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got homebrews that are 10 years old and still going strong. The beauty of a homebrew is if it quits you can usually fix it. Really the whole homebrew thing started up because of the unreliability of the first commercial cams. I think the commercial cams have improved in that respect but they have definitely not caught up to the hombrews in that area.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sota likes this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still have a cheap Moultrie A-5, six years old and works like a champ. My Covert blackout MP8 lasted 5 years and they replaced it for $62.50 when I sent it in. My wife is a photo archivist and has good knowledge of cameras so we have discussed building a trail cam. The main reason is what PastorJim hit on, we can fix it ourselves.

As far as the worst one I have bought.. Stealthcam, it barely lasted a season and the customer service is nonexistent.

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if master hunter has a home brew cam.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This isnt limited to trail cameras i am sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

8. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this thinking to a certain point, but wouldn't you want your product to last long enough that the customer says "hey, this thing's been working great, I think I'll buy another one or two"?

9. revwilder

revwilder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree totally with your thought process, that's why there is always an upgrade every year. So you'll buy more.
    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

10. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To many it doesn't matter as long as it's a couple of years. They want the latest and greatest thing. Just look at the iPhone sales. I have some old moultrie cams that are 6 years old. My 5 Reconyx xr6 just keep on going year after year. Got them the first year they came out. I had 5 home brew cams and sold them to get no glow cams with video.
    All the Chinese cams are Chinese. They are into mass production. And they are good at it. They never had quality just cheap stuff. The manufacturer only can control so much and be competitive with Chinese products.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

revwilder likes this.
  11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll take a picture of the shelf in my garage tomorrow and post it, 6 or 7 different brands of non working trail cameras. Some only a year old.

I’ve known for a long time that cameras don’t last, I have a few Coverts in the 5-6 year old age bracket that are still working but everything else I own is less than 3 years old.

That’s why I don’t rely on any particular brand, I just but ones that take good pictures when there’s a good sale or deal and know that I’m going to have to do the same again in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

early in and Okiebob like this.
  12. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 4 Cuddebacks that failed literally within 2 weeks of the warranty expiration. Built in to fail???? And the CS is the worst.

Been running 6-7 Moultrie for 3 or 4 years with no issues.

13. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is a shame that they are made this way, and its probably an inexpensive problem to fix if you had the equipment to do it. I wonder if someone who was tech savvy enough could run a business refurbishing trail cams. I bet there are alot of people out there who would pay a few bucks to have a camera work for another year or two before tossing it.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When new cameras are $80-$100, how much are people gonna charge to repair them? They arnt gonna want to spend more than $20-$30 to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am talking higher quality cameras, like the ones that are $150+ I know I wouldnt want to spend that kind of money only to have it crap out 3 years later.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Strange thing i see with cams is its like they have shelf life rather then a use life.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

17. early in

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I'm referring to. My cams only sit out for 3 months a year, it's not like I leave them out 365. I might get 100-150 pics per cam each year.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have Covert cameras that are 6 years old and still going. I have a Covert MP6 that has taken over 500,000 pics and is still going strong. Like Siman/OH said, I don't rely on one brand. I have several Stealth Cams, a Cuddeback and a couple of USA Trail cams as well.