Ozone/homemade ozone generators

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Mar 20, 2018.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys trying to get some guidance on ozone generators and how effective they are. I have heard people swear by them and have seen several people buy the stuff to make their own ozone scent totes. My question is how effective are they and has anyone seen any negative effects on their scent blocking clothing such as scent blocker,scentlok, under armour, etc. I was just curious if the ozone has any short or long term effect on how the materials like carbon alloy in scentlok absorb odors. Wanting to possibly make a ozone tote but don’t want to ruin my scentlok clothing or do anything to make it less effective. Thanks for any help you guys can be

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made an ozone tote with a generator bought from Amazon. It looks exactly like the scent crusher generator. I only used it a handful of times on a recent week long hog hunt in Feb, but I was pleased with the results. I was only running the generator for 15 mins max because I was worried about clothing materials breaking down. I had heard that the ozone will break down rubber/elastic material. I had no noticeable destruction only running the generator for 15 mins. I took a hodgepodge of hunting clothing down with me because I didn't want my good gear to get tore up down in the TX deserts. I did have a Scent-Lok full season suit in there.. that thing has been through a ton of wear in the past 10 years but I did not notice any problems with it after being washed with ozone. The rest of my gear was a mixture of sitka and first lite and walmart camo.. I haven't noticed any problems with those clothes either. All of my experience with this is short term though.. hopefully someone on here can give you more info on any long term effects.

My main reason for trying out ozone was for when I do go out of state to hunt. I figured it would be a better option than some of those grimy hotel washers/dryers.. I was able to justify the risk to the clothing because of the minimal use of the ozone. I do not really intend to use it regularly at home.

JHasty likes this.
  3. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I def appreciate your input on it mhouck06. If I do decide to give it a try I’ll def go the route you went and make my own. Just can’t see spending hundreds of dollars on something not knowing if I’ll like it or not when I can build it a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

mhouck06 likes this.
  4. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Made my own tote last season. I bought a cheap ozone machine off of amazon and used a Rubbermaid tote. Cheap, easy, and very effective. I’d wash my gear in scent free detergent after every trip out, throw it in the tote for an hour or so and I was good to go. My ozone machine was a very small cheap one, so I left it on a little longer. No negative effects on my clothes that I noticed. I didn’t use it on my muck boots though, I’ve heard that ozone doesn’t play well with rubber boots. Here are a few photos while I was sitting in the tree. Wind is about 5-10 mph moving directly towards the small bucks in the photos. One of the Bucks pissed beside the tree I was in. Had multiple sits with deer that moved down wind of me and never caught my scent. Good luck on the project.

Attached Files:

JHasty likes this.