Ok Guys Need Some help here!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tim Gow, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been bow hunting for 38+ years without a thumb on my left hand (Lost it in a table saw when I was 16 yrs. old) I have always managed and adapted to shooting my bow and fairly well I might add, I am a right handed shooter and my thumb is missing on my left which is of course the hand I use to hold the bow, this year I have started having problems with my bow torqueing on me because of my grip on the bow. Now that I have been practicing I notice its getting worse, to the point of loosing full grip of the bow, I have tried many things to correct it lowering poundage , grips and grip gloves but the torque still persists, why now after all these years, I don't know, been doing a lot of research to try an find a correction and have come up empty, if anyone has any ideas or knows of some kind of aid that would help, I am all ears.

2. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like old age setting in ! HA ! many years ago I had a guy I knew ( not a best bud) had attached a thick leather glove to his bow for added support,

3. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to say it but I think age does have something to do with it!!

4. Travisk711

Travisk711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Jessy Nelson is a former pro motocross rider that lost his thumb in a crash that involved his left thumb to be severed by the chain and sprocket. Around the 2:11 point in the video it briefly covers a prosthetic that is used inside his glove. This may be an option to help hold the bow more securely with less grip pressure.

5. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting Idea, I will have to look into this it might be my answer!! Thanks Travis for the info!! much appreciated

Travisk711 likes this.
  6. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I shot sporting clays I knew of a pro shooter who had lost a few fingers on his shooting(trigger hand) He had a glove made up with Velcro so he could attach his hand to the gun. He was able to work the trigger with his pinky finger. Velcro on the bow grip and inside the shooting glove may be an answer?

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any way you can post an image of what it looks like when you're holding the bow? I'm assuming you're gripping it fairly tight to avoid dropping. My initial thought is a wrist sling and less grip with your fingers, but I'm not sure if you're able to draw the bow without gripping it with your fingers. I guess it depends exactly how much thumb you still have left.

8. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was my thought with the Velcro. Place a strip in the center of the bow grip and a strip from the base of the thumb to the web of your hand.

9. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    might have to call hiccup from how to train your dragon to invent something. lol but seriously thinking now. maybe adding some grip tape to the grip on your bow. I noticed a lot of big competitive shooters have their grip wrapped with grip tape. I'm guessing that keeps the bow from sliding around in their hand. might be a cheap remedy? or maybe having your four fingers across the grip so your back of your hand is facing you with your palm facing the target. not sure if I explained that enough?

10. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Justin,
    I am at work right now but I will try to post a pic tonight, You are exactly right that I am over gripping the bow, I have had surgery to create a slight c V groove in the web of my hand between my fore finger and what is left of my thumb ( which isn't much), this was done years ago and is what got me back into hunting again with my bow, to answer your question I can draw the bow back with my fingers open and not gripping the bow, But this year as I started practicing I lost grip of the bow twice as I was shooting, I shoot at 7o#s you can imagine what happened
    Nice gash to the forehead, I think I am bow shy now and that is part of the problem, I did pick up some grip gloves yesterday and shot again last night and it seemed to help, I also turned the bow down to 55#, I do have a wrist sling! and that helps!! I appreciate you guys giving me ideas so far it has helped me !! not giving up cause life without bow hunting is a life I do not choose to live> HEY Justin!! thing I need to order a couple of hoodies from BUSTED RACK to get my confidence back, I think that is my biggest problem!!

11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you considering learning to shoot left handed? I've read about several hunters who learned to shoot left handed for different reasons and have been able to do it much easier than they ever thought they could.

Tim Gow likes this.
  12. Tim Gow

Tim Gow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend that shoots left handed and I did try it with his bow, Seemed really awkward , But I never really pursued it. It Might be something I should work at because I have no problem with the release in my left hand>