Official Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by srtiek, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have 7 or 8 cams on our hunt club property and they were averaging 31 pics/week per cam and literally we've got 4 pics total since opening day.

My buddy went without me Saturday before last and missed an 8pt. This past Saturday we got busted riding in by a 6pt and a doe the doe stayed on his side 28 yds, he took the shot and missed. That was the first deer I'd seen since opening day. We went back Sunday morning and saw nothing, left and went to Church - came back in the afternoon and our stands are about 300 yds apart. I had that same 6pt and doe jump out of the woods at 80 yds. They only came in to 71 yds and just shuffled within 20 yds of him. He missed again. LOL!

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen more deer this year than I have in years past.

Sent from my XT830C

3. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got him in Sumner County last week:

Attached Files:

4. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also, in regard to lowering the buck limit and reducing the gun season, uh, no. Spent my whole life working towards buying my own property, I can manage it, thank you. Reducing bucks to two I can live with, I don't recall ever taking three in a season, so two eliminates that early season meat buck for me. One buck? No way, that would mean that, given I took the above buck on Oct. 15, I'd be done and there are a half-dozen shooter bucks wandering around this property that I've caught on cam, which means there are more. I enjoy the long gun season, it's a different type of hunting for me than bow, and I don't want TWRA to do ANYTHING that reduces my time in a tree. My fellow hunter friends in Kentucky are very envious of our long season, and I've got bucks here that are on par with Kentucky bucks. I understand the public land hunters' take on this, but from my perspective they (TWRA) just need to leave it alone. Save your money, buy some land, there's plenty available out in the hinterlands, hopefully it won't take you 40 years of hunting like it did me. Now that I have it I want to hunt as much as possible and I'll be responsible for the management.

5. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    sorry, double post

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  6. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I'm good with two bucks. That's a good number.

I will go to my grave saying two months is too long of a gun/muzzleloader season and shouldn't be during prime time. You think you have "on par" bucks now? It would do nothing but improve if gun seasons started Dec 1st. Maybe run muzzleloader during the week of Thanksgiving.

I just think the whole idea of being able to hunt practically the whole month of November is absurd. Do that Illinois, Iowa, Ohion or any other big buck state and see how it works out.

I'm more concerned about the pressure it puts on the deer. It makes December much more difficult to hunt. It would affect the quality of the deer too though.

Just my opinion though. I love the fact that the two buck limit has developed some good conversations and feedback. The state is working towards a better direction or at least I believe so.

I think 5 years from now we might see a few more mature bucks overall but maybe less total deer numbers because people will take a few more does because of the rule change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For people hunting public land, I understand. But I spend February through early September clearing, tilling, planting, hanging stands, checking cams, and the countless other things, sweating my *** off through the heat of the summer, investing more dollars than my wife needs to know, and I do it for the October through early January hunting. If it was a paltry couple of weeks like Kentucky or other states (or whatever it is), it just wouldn't be worth it to me. The buck I just harvested scored 165, Tennessee can grow 'em as big or bigger than Kentucky, people just need to self-police, I don't need TWRA to shut me down. If you're a meat hunter and don't care about big bone, fine, shoot what you want, I did for 30 years, now I'm after trophies and does for meat, to each is own, you live with the consequences. I love bow hunting and also love muzzle and rifle. Some bow hunters act like they're the only hunters that enjoy the woods and everybody else is some kind of second class hunter. We get a whole month to ourselves in the woods in Tennessee, if you can't get one during that time period I'd look at changing my strategy. They whiners got heard, they took a buck away from us, now they need to back off, as they wisely have--for now. I'd vehemently oppose any increased restrictions. I like to hunt. I want to spend as much time in a tree waiting Big Daddy to show up as possible, to take some of that time away is insanity to me.

8. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Self police? Honestly, how well do you think that works or will work?

You and myself are in the top percentage probably as far as what WE want to shoot. I'm a realist though, and know that self policing doesn't and won't work. I've hunted other places with condensed gun seasons and it was better all the way around. I was a muzzleloader and gun hunter as well so I see the other side of the argument as well.

Bottom line, TWRA was way too liberal with bag limits and gun seasons for a long time and people got used to it. Thus, making it hell to make any changes.

When we (Tennessee) kill the LOWEST percentage of 3.5+ year olds out of any state that borders us, there's a problem. I'm glad you killed a 165" buck in Tennessee, that's awesome. However, let's be real and realize you're talking about he top 1% of bucks EVER taken in the state of Tennessee. Probably less than 1% actually. Which you're in the western part of the state too, where there's more deer and better ones.

In the end, my point is basically, Tennessee hunters need to kill more 3.5+ year old bucks and I think the bag limit being two will without a doubt help that. It will help eliminate some of the 1.5-2.5 year old bucks getting killed as their first buck of the year or first two. A lot of people have done this just because they could. I've only killed 3 bucks once in my life. I've definitely been guilty of killing less than stellar bucks with my first tag, that won't happen anymore.

Just to humor me, think of the top 5 "Big buck" states, or you could even do more than that. What do they ALL have in common? Their buck bag limit is 2 or less and they ALL have short gun seasons. What most people don't understand, is that it's not taking opportunity away from hunters. They can still hunt with a bow or crossbow and it creates less pressure just because of difference in hunting tactics.

This is just my opinion of course and I've heard plenty of people echo the same sentiments. I'm a firm believer that it's a step in the right direction.

However there are plenty of old timers that have the same outlook as yourself that want it to be gun season year around, shoo their 3 1.5 year olds and call it a year. Which gets back to having liberal laws and limits for so long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people shooting what makes them happy though.

Congratulations on a stud of a buck though! There's more hitting the ground every year because people are slowly getting better at managing a herd

9. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the thoughtful response. First, Sumner County is not in the Western section of the state, it's middle Tennessee. And the buck I took had three more just like him (one even bigger, but with half of one antler broken off), and there are always those bruisers that never get caught on camera. As for your other points, if people don't self-police, then they live with the consequences, as, unfortunately, do others—in the areas they hunt. You're talking it seems a lot about public hunting lands. I worked my whole life to buy this land where I currently reside, and I did it to control my hunting destiny. Now that i've achieved this goal, and work year-round to improve it, I don't want to see one day of my hunting season taken away. The reason so many younger deer are taken in Tennessee is because so many hunters shoot the first horns they see, and while that particular buck won't become one, that doesn't mean the bigger ones aren't out there. The big one (14 scoreables) I took this year with a bow came in behind an 8-point that I would have taken earlier in my hunting life, and then missed out on the big one. Your quote "there are plenty of old timers that have the same outlook as yourself that want it to be gun season year around, shoo(t) their 3 1.5 year olds and call it a year" is ignorant at best and insulting at worst. I love bow hunting, I appreciate that extra month in the woods, and my results speak for themselves.Myself and my legions of peers are the best stewards of this land you could have, most of them far more so than those who have come behind us. And I may be an "old timer" as you say, but I'd put my woods skills up against anybody's, I've watched the deer herd grow from the days back in the '70s when you'd hardly see anything to today, when I see deer probably 60%--70% of days I hunt. I give TWRA SOME credit for that, and this herd grew even with what you describe as "liberal" hunting regulations. What you call "liberal" I call hunting season, and I look forward to hunting straight through into the new year. I agree with you that lowering to two bucks will likely force some people to MAYBE let a sixer pass by, but some people in the rural area I live in (and across the state) are looking for meat and don't care about bone. So be it, bowhunters seeking trophies aren't the only hunters using the woods, the ones who really get the s****y end of the stick in Tennessee are the regular gun hunters, whose season doesn't even start until the chase phase of the rut has already come and gone--usually, and inexperienced wannabe bow and xbow hunters have been tramping through the woods for two months. We bow hunters have it good in Tennessee, with a month of hunting before gun hunters can get in the woods. Let it roll, I'm a hunter, I want to hunt as much as possible. Starting Saturday, I'll pick up my smoke pole and get back in the tree, then my 30-06 on Nov. 21, and once December hits I'll pick the bow back up and go deep woods through the end of the year. And I'll appreciate every day that God (and the TWRA) have given me.
    Again, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions, and Go Vols (Class of '84)
    PS: I'm not crazy about them sticking the Youth hunt right in the middle of the Rutting Moon (and last weekend of bow season), but i'm not whining about it.

10. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    We have a lot of the same qualities but a little different beliefs in what regulations would improve hunting.

Didn't mean to classify you in the group of people shooting a bunch of 1.5 year olds or an "old timer". Poor execution on my part.

I just think we could model our regulations like what has been extremely successful for other states. We may have a month to ourselves in the early season but gun hunters have two months (including muzzleloader) and its smack in the middle of prime time.

Name a "big buck" state that has a shorter bow season than we do. There isn't one.....

I'm ok with the overall length of our hunting season. It's great actually. I would just like to see it shifted around slightly. Just remember that most counties don't produce like Sumner does. Sorry for calling it the western part of the state (everything is west of me lol).

You made an excellent decision on buying land in an excellent location but that's not an option for everyone unfortunately.

Good luck with the smokepole and rifle the rest of the year. I'm hoping we will get some cooler weather soon. I'll be rocking the bow all year

11. volzdeep

volzdeep Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y'all. I live in Davidson county (Nashville). I killed my first deer this year 8pt on Public land. 40 yd with pse stinger bow. I hunt a bunch by myself. Let me know if y'all in the middle TN area want to meet up and hunt. Y'all be safe and have fun

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1447518963.339371.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1447518982.365266.jpg

12. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Matt, I hope you're having a great season. Just wanted to say that after listening to these heathens around me blasting away every day since muzzle opened I'm starting to agree with you...to a point. Not that the season should be shortened or that the buck limit should be lowered, but that it should be shifted to give bowhunters more exclusivity at some point once the leaves drop. I swear, it sounds like Bull Run out here, i've never heard so much shooting, all day on the weekends. Clearly they're not using muzzleloaders, and clearly they're shooting anything that moves. Never heard anything like it, not sure what to do about it, either. i'm just watching my property line as much as possible and giving the deer a break. I'm glad I got my big one early during bow, because after rut I guarantee you these deer are going to go nocturnal, hell I keep my head low myself. My son-in-law tagged a nice four-year-old 8 on opening day of muzzle, his first deer, and I've been seeing them pretty much every hunt, usually running from neighboring property. I've let three eights walk to live another day (or until they cross over the property line) and lots of younger deer and doe, hope they make it. Maybe we should get a week between muzzle and regular rifle, something. I'm just appalled at these people out here, total disregard to what I consider to be any "rules of the woods" I've adhered to over my decades of hunting. The tranquility I so love about hunting is out the window. I'm hearing quick followups, sometimes three or four shots in a row, but I've always said "two shots equal likely miss, three shots bye-bye." But if 1% of the shots I've heard resulted in a deer down, the local herd has taken a beating.
    OK, rant over, the chase is on here, I'm headed out of town for a few days, hate to leave, it's prime time, but I still have a job and duty calls. Back in a tree soon, enjoy your season and keep your head down!
    RidgeRunner

13. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have struggled with the same thing with my "neighbors".

I just got back from Oak Ridge this weekend and had the best two days I've ever had in the deer woods but had a sobering ending to it. I shot a really good 3 year old Sunday morning that I wasn't able to find. Needed to leave him overnight and couldn't. Well at least thought that I couldn't. I now know a Game Warden will go in with you to find it (great to know now). First deer I have ever lost with a bow and hate the feeling. He was the 3rd best buck I saw all weekend. I got it all on film which honestly makes it worse. Shot my bow last night and it was hitting 4" right at 20 yards. Not sure what the issue was.

[​IMG]

14. cwarta

cwarta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Hunt private land that backs up to public land. All the "big deer" here are 2 years old cause they get shot with a shotgun on the public land. So so frustrating!

15. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man, hate that for you, I agree not recovering a deer is the worst. But, if you hunt long enough, it will happen. All you can do is exhaust every effort and know that you did your best.
    I'm looking at upgrading from my Bear Encounter to a Mathews, my friend whose opinion I respect suggests the Z7. I'm 55 in pretty good shape, is this an appropriate bow for me, just on face value?
    thanks

16. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    There's a lot of people that view that bow as one of the best single cams they ever produced. I'm also a big fan of the NoCams for an average guy wanting a really solid hunting bow.

I personally hunt with a Chill X and did so last year. It fits my style and what I like perfectly. I used one last year as well.

The Z7s are a great bow assuming you can find one in good shape for a reasonable price since they no longer make them. The Z2 is a reincarnation of that bow that you can buy brand new

17. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The temps are dropping just in time to close out the 2015 season, and I have to say it was a memorable one. First season on my new land (and home) in Sumner County, and shot my first bow buck, which also happened to be the biggest buck of my life. 14 point 165 score, way back in October. Now I'm closing it out with four consecutive morning hunts, as many afternoon hunts as I can fit in, and a couple of all-day sits. I've watched several younger six and eights walk by, and countless does. I had a nice 10 point in my sights a week ago and decided not to shoot, and I saw a big 10 200 yards away while hunting with my Browning that I would have probably shot, had I been able to acquire him in the scope in time. At this point, I'll only shoot a monster, if he made it this far I'd like to see what he can do with another year. And I'm back and forth on a doe harvest; really, if you shoot one now you're taking at least two deer out of the equation and possibly three. Still, some more jerky and sausage is appealing, so it just depends on my mood. Have to say I'm 100% pleased with the deer herd in the area, and by the looks of my cams at least a couple of trophies made it through the year, with a lot of does. Actually looking forward to beginning my off-season work, with a full year of hunting in and more knowledge of the property I'll be able to do some real good around here. I wish everyone well and hope your season was as good as mine. God bless, go Vols.

18. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How about some 'gossip' for the 2017-2018 season??? In my local walmart, met up with a management guy. TWRA. I asked him the question "How do you think it went this year for the two buck instead of three?" He said he thought it went well, then he began telling me about some changes that could occur in the near future. According to him, he said that there was talk about bringing back buckshot to the state of Tennessee. I asked him why did they remove buckshot from legal use for deer hunting. He said that he wasn't sure. The second thing he told me, I wasn't too sure I liked the idea (but hey, I am just a hunter). He said that they are talking about allowing baiting for deer hunting. Not sure how true any of this is, but this is what he told me. What do any of you think? Give me your thoughts and any other 'gossip'.

19. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I'm honestly against both of those. I don't see the point in buckshot honestly and baiting opens up a new can of worms. With CWD getting closer and closer to Tennessee, I believe baiting may be a step in the wrong decision. Keep it in the offseason

20. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like the idea of baiting. Don't really care about the buckshot