No-Till Corn

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TwoBucks, Mar 20, 2017.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every year we try to expand our foodplots in size and quantity, but we usually run up against time constraints especially when you factor in the weather and rain. Something that I have been thinking about is mowing and spraying the grass in a new foodplot site, and then no-tilling in corn with a corn planter, and a few weeks after germination spraying again with roundup and top dressing fertilizer. Has anyone done this before with success? Obviously it's not the preferred method of planting corn, but would it produce a viable crop and start a no-till rotation without having to spend the hours discing?

I have been thinking about the same concept with brassicas in existing grass and spraying with clethodim after germination.

Thoughts?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quite a few farmers here are going to no-til around here. What it seems to involve is a lot more spraying of weed control and lots more top dressing with fertilizers.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's how I've grown corn for several years now, nothing new about it...works okay. Zero till, chemicals takes the place of some tillage. I don't like chemicals but I don't like soil disturbance or my butt in a tractor seat for weeks on end pulling a disc either.

foodplot19 likes this.
  4. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
  5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think that it will work for the corn but I think the grass would overtake the brassicas.

6. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Think Clethodim will keep the grasses at bay?

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you're talking in Brassicas - it'll kill corn.

elkguide likes this.
  8. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Correct, I would round-up the corn and clethodim the brassicas. I would think using a cultipacker would work well with seeding brassicas in a no till operation, I just don't have a culitpacker

9. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I think you'd be better off spraying the grass with roundup and then seeding the brassicas into that before it's completely dead. Use the dead grass as a mulch. I don't think a cultipacker will do a thing in a true no till system.

TwoBucks and CoveyMaster like this.
  10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Right, I was just expecting to have to spray twice. You don't think there is a need to pressing the seed into the ground to get seed-soil contact?

11. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Timing is everything........ I try and seed right before a god rain.

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    If you get some dead grass mulch on it and like elkguide said, time it before a nice rain, I don't think so.

Do you remember the picture I posted last fall of our cattle in tillage radish? I sprayed the grass (pasture) with roundup, and about 3 days later went in with the four wheeler and broadcast the tillage radish into the grass. It worked awesome and sounds like it would be the same situation you are talking about.
    *added picture below*

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  13. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I do remember that, how much grass was there before you sprayed it?

15. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    6-8"

16. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I will be trying to get those areas mowed this sunday before pheasants start nesting and then keep them sprayed until either corn of brassica planting.

17. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd chime in that it's 6 of 1 half dozen of another. Meaning if you don't til you have to do something so your weeds don't choke off your plot.

I'm a fan of discing myself and not a fan of chemical spraying.

To each their own. I'm a city boy who learned plots from hunting a sweet corn farm in south Florida from a super smart farmer. He'd drop a no plant bed field of corn or cracked oats or cow peas for me in an area away from his "hot" fields in order to attract animals towards me and off his crops.

Turnips never worked for me in south Florida. I assume because we get no snow ? Cow peas are like GOLD !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find I have to spray at least once. Roundup will only kill growing plants so once you till up the soil and plant your seed, there will always be weed seed that germinates too. So for tillage, I don't spay before I till. Then I plant and spray once the plot is about 6" tall. If I were no-till, I would spray to kill everything, plant and spray again when the plot was about 6" tall.

The problem I have is some of those later season weeds that germinate after I have sprayed. It doesn't seem to affect how deer use the plot, but it's just doesn't look as nice. I would like to work my way towards no till planting though.

19. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    I too, if I have the option, prefer tilling before planting. As to the timing of planting, I live in the middle of an Ag area with lots of wonderful crops for deer nourishment and it's hard to compete with 1/2 acre plots next to 50 acre fields of the same crops. So I try and plant so that my crops mature a few weeks after the farm fields have been harvested. The deer are already used to those crops and are looking to maintain their favorite meals so here I am!!!!! I have the most success with clover or corn crops.

20. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, if you broadcast your seed in after you've sprayed with glyphosate, the dying grass will hold enough moisture to get those little seeds to germinate. I wouldn't disc at all to plant brassicas in your situation. JMO.
    I'm with ya on the no-till, Skywalker. Covey has me convinced it is the way to go.