New to Crossbows: Story

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by rsf31tmp, Sep 22, 2017.

1. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year on the first day of shotgun season here in Illinois, I took a 17 and half foot fall from my stand while trying to cut some lanes. My harness was in the back of the golf cart. My season and activity on this site were over quickly. The first surgery/process, the elbow reduction, happened later that day and I was lucky to walk out of the hospital that afternoon. 10 days later, they screwed my radius back together and anchored a tendon into my humors. Today, I can't shoot my Mathews because I can neither straighten my left arm or anchor my bow with my left arm (when I try to draw, my elbow just gives away). Well, September 8th, Illinois passed a crossbow law that allows anyone with an archery tag to used a crossbow. I know nothing about crossbow and was just trying to become a good archery hunter. So now I will be selling my bows, arrows, broadheads and releases and using the money to buy the best crossbow I can get. So... I think I will have up to $400 to spend, maybe a bit more, but I want to be smart with my money. So I will take any advice I can get:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mercy Sakes! You were lucky even if you can not draw your bow. Always tie off to the tree from the time your feet leave the ground to you touch back down.

As for crossbows the Barnett brand is a good xbow for the money and I own my third one. You will want one with a crank to make cocking easier for you. The headhunter bolts are good bolts. Heavy is better than light and fast. Bolts are harder to stop. Other than that it is the same game of archery.

randy3003 and rsf31tmp like this.
  3. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for you input

4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad you didn't die. Please stay safe out there. I'm kinda like you. Due to a shoulder surgery I will be hunting with a crossbow this year. Buy the best bow you can afford because it sounds like you will not be going back to a vertical bow and you wants something light, and powerful. The power-stroke is a very important number in crossbows. The higher the number the better. If you can't afford the crank, just get a cocking rope. They reduce the weight of the string by about 50% and only cost about $10 on ebay. Good Luck!

rsf31tmp likes this.
  5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, glad you're OK for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsf31tmp likes this.
  6. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    Selling my Mathews Switchback XT
    70 pounds 28 inch
    Rip-Cord Rest
    Plano Case
    Some Beman Arrows

What is the most I should ask for it or the least I should take?

7. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch! Hard way of joining the Xbow fraternity! None the less welcome. I assume you've been doing a lot of reading. My suggestion? Visit some shops that have ranges and allow customers to shoot their product. See what you like. Next start cruising pawn shops to see whats available and make them aware you're looking. If you have a community 2nd hand shopping site i'd also post a wanted ad on it. A lot of internet hunting forums also have used equipment sales. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

rsf31tmp likes this.
  8. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice!!! I will be doing this

9. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I have a buyer for the Old Mathews, so My budget is under $300

I am looking at two:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bea...rossbow-hunting-package#repChildCatid=3683125

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/centerpoint-sniper-370-crossbow-package#repChildCatid=3476641

Both have many solid reviews. I have looked around at the second hand shops and pawn stores and since Illinois passed the new crossbow laws....well heir are tons of bows and not many crossbows for sale. The crossbows I have found are being sold for as much as these new ones cost and some are the same model?

What are the thoughts on types of broadheads and bolts?

10. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a veteran with hand damage and shoulder damage (both on left side) and unfortunately cannot stretch a compound any longer.
    Sorry to hear about your mishap I wish you good luck in your rehabilitation... now down to what got me a pretty good bow for $325. I went on eBay and bought a Barnett predator as the model was closing out (it was produced for 8 or 9 years so it's a good bow). I got a brand new bow, 3 arrows, string and slide wax, a red dot sight and a cocking rope in the box when it came. The bow is a bit heavier then most (9 lbs.) but I use hunting sticks anyway so it really doesn't matter. Barnett has a good reputation and that's what sold me over the center point which also seems to be a pretty good bow. The specs of the Raptor impressed me. Draw weight 175 lbs. 133 ft lbs genetic energy. 16" power stroke. 375' per sec. At 30 yards it completely passes through my decoy and penetrates through ( 2) 5/8" OSB boards about 6 or 7 inches. It's a fairly long bow at 37 inches but works fine in my box blind. The bow has rubber coated limbs which is why I believe it's about a pound heavier. Really pretty quiet for how fast it is too. Last year it took 5 deer down and this year 3 so far. It has over 20 hogs to it's credit too (I live in SW FL). Many of the deer where taken in MI and IL and all have been complete pass throughs.
    If you can save a ill more and buy new, even if it's like mine a discontinued line. Do your research and you will be rewarded with years of great service from it. Good luck. P.S. they're really quite fun to shoot too.

rsf31tmp likes this.
  11. jody 5050

jody 5050 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that you are ok. Could have been much worse! Bet you will never, ever try that again... As for x-bows, I highly recommend Wicked ridge (A division of 10 pt.) They have budget friendly bows, which are great for beginners. These are NOT junk! High quality at very affordable prices. I would try them first. Good luck, and know that you were blessed, that you are still here...

12. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are a ton of choices when it comes to crossbows with more on the way. That being said, you may want to look at the operational side of things before getting wrapped up in performance. With any type of debilitating injury you want a bow that will cock easy maybe even a crank system. The first thing that comes to mind is the later part of the season. With limited range of movement this time of the year could prove to be a challenge when cocking even a light bow. Just some food for thought.

13. rth548

rth548 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check the Barnett Raptor, that's what I shoot and have had good results from. It's narrower than most crossbows I've handled, still shoots about 325 fps and is not excessively heavy. I think I gave $325-335 for it at Wal-Mart.

14. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    Well yesterday was a huge success and my Bear Fortus was awesome! Shot a doe and then started right into my rattling. 3 bucks came running. Two crossed the river to me and I took a 10 pointer! Awesome day in the woods! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And that's how it is done.

rsf31tmp likes this.