New to bow hunting, have some questions

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Brent Hardy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Brent Hardy

Brent Hardy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a new bow hunter, I bought a Hoyt Vectrix. I’ve got the draw weight set for 80 pounds, I’ve been using the Carbon express heart attack arrows (from ****s) i think they’re 30” and I’ve been using 100 grain field tips to practice with, I’m shooting pretty tight groups at 20-25 yards. I’ve got Mechanical broadheads, they’re 2 blade Rage 100 grains and I’m just curious to see if that sounds like a decent setup, I’m not sure if I should change my arrows or if I should try out fixed blade broadheads or what, hoping to get some recommendations, thanks a lot!

w33kender likes this.
  2. captnjb

captnjb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good setup to me. I took three deer already with almost the same setup. Mathews bow at 67lb.

Take a few practice shots into a soft target that can handle expanding blades. Assuming you don’t have the dummy heads. Maybe use the same arrow if you don’t have replacement blades. You want your blades as sharp as can be to take an animal.

You may find that you need to tweak your sights or change your aiming point a bit.

My main concern for you is your let off at your poundage. I’ve been learning this art on my own, well because I’m stubborn and like all the variables that I can play with. I have a press and fletch my own etc.

I’m also “new” to bow hunting and have found that I have to move very slowly or they will lock on and bolt before you have a chance to even draw. Slow is the key.

That being said, the times I have taken a deer I was usually holding my draw for a while before letting go. At 80lbs even with an 80% let off on your Nitrux? Bow, your still holding 16lbs at a position that really isn’t natural. How long can you hold that till you get a clean shot? Something to think about and try. It’s good practice. You might even find a new stance. Pinching your shoulder blades together, etc.

For us bow hunters shot placement is paramount for a clean ethical kill. I have 100 grain rage on Easton axis arrows. All three arrows passed clean through. The animals went about 30 yards at most. I just put on schwackers and when I get a chance to use them I will try to remember to update here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

w33kender and Brent Hardy like this.
  3. Brent Hardy

Brent Hardy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the response! I’ve definitely noticed that as well, The other night I was out with a buddy of mine and a 6 point came by, I’ve got a pop up arrow rest and when I went to draw back it made a small sound and he heard it and ran from my 20 yard mark to about 30-35 yards, so I was sitting there for a good couple minutes at full draw trying not to move and that was definitely a nice arm workout lol (unfortunately didn’t end up getting the deer)

w33kender likes this.
  4. captnjb

captnjb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think that’s the fun of bow hunting. I learn something every time I go out. As for the pop up rest, put it up when you nock your arrow. One less thing to worry about.

When I’m stalking I have mine up and can let my finger loosely lay over the arrow and it holds it nice steady and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeana and w33kender like this.
  5. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brent sounds like a good setup I'm also from Frederick. If your not liking how the rage are performing by all means switch to fixed blades. I use the Hypodermics 100 gr. on a 70 lb Bear Encounter. I've never had any problems with them. As for the rest I've found whisker biscuits are ungodly reliable. They're quiet and they hold the arrow in place while drawing. All in all sounds like you have a setup that will be stacking the deer. Good luck this season.

6. CrispySmurf

CrispySmurf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im interested to see how you like the Schwackers. Any new news/ follow up?

7. JasonT

JasonT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good I would probably go with a fixed broadhead such as a muzzy or slick trick. I have had two bad experiences with rage broadheads.

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any good outfit is what you are comfortable with for hunting, 3-D, or whatever. I have a Lancaster Archery supply catalogue and am amazed at just the number of compound bows on the market these days.
    captnjb, I like this- "For us bow hunters shot placement is paramount for a clean ethical kill." I'm a Hunter Education instructor and that is a great statement!

9. Gary L Bruursema

Gary L Bruursema Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure your arrows are properly spined for that 80 lb draw weight or consider backing off to a weight that works for the arrows that you already purchased.