Need your opinion on scent crusher products.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Slugger, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been checking out scent crusher and ozonics and all the other brands out there. Does it work that much better or is it just better to stick to DDW?

2. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail’r ozone bag

Buy that and you’ll be happy.

I needed a scent free bag and for $30 more you can get this. It’s an ozone generator duffel. I figured I can’t really go wrong with it so I got it and man I’m a believer. I don’t know that I would get an ozonics because I’ve had so much success with this and if the wind is that bad I’m not gonna hunt that set anyways. I went and purposely sat on a feeder with the worst possible wind and the does were nervous but they couldn’t quite figure it out. After a while they settled down but I was blown away. Usually if I would get the slightest swirling wind they’re gone. I even took the generator and just sat it in my truck and it took the wet dog smell out after a duck hunt. It’s the same as a scent crusher at about 1/2 the cost.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Slugger likes this.
  3. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the scent crusher bag and like it. It is big enough to store a lot of clothes and I do notice a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugger likes this.
  4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They both work on the same principle using ozone to kill odor. I chose to go the Ozonics route. I figured I can make a little clothes tent out of PVC and some plastic at home, put my hunting clothes in there and then put the Ozonics unit in. Plus then I can take the Ozonics unit to the field with me on top of it.

I'm sure the Scent Crusher bag is great and does what it's supposed to do; you just can't wear the bag in the stand. You'll pay about $250 - $300 for the Scent Crusher and the Ozonics HR200 unit is about $299 and the HR300 is $399. Not much difference for the versatility IMO. At least that was my logic for my purchase.

Slugger and WillO like this.
  5. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Just get a bag. I have a whitetail’r bag and it does a great job. If the wind is that bad should you really be in that stand anyways?

I did test it and as long as you don’t sweat it up into the stand you should be fine with just a bag and you don’t have to carry around all that extra crap.

I made a reply to the op but it is “waiting approval” but for now that’s my $0.02

Slugger likes this.
  6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I live in CA near Sacramento. Our archery only season starts about the 3rd weekend in August and temps of 95 or higher are common. I can get sweaty just stepping out of my truck. I need all the help I can get with scent control which is why I went with the Ozonics. and the unit really isn't that big and the arm is only about 8 inches long. Not really a lot more to put in the pack.

7. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I got cha. I’ve been pretty happy with my bag, but the ozonics definitely do work. They’ve pretty much got the only product of their kind. Some people question how ethical it is but I’m not one of those. The deer have every advantage over us and if you want to be “really ethical” we would be chasing them with flint arrow heads and hand formed willow bows wearing loin cloths.

But I digress.

To put it in perspective answer this;
    Have you ever seen an ozonics for sale used?

I know I haven’t.

8. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scent crusher works just be careful. I think the unit it comes with is a little too powerful. Ozone will oxidize anything it comes into contact with and is super hard on rubber and elastic. Too much of it can ruin expensive gear. Definitely don’t put any rubber gear in it and limit the exposure on items with elastic. I use the 5 min setting and maybe the 10 min at most. If bag is stuffed to the brim maybe the 15 min setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are options that work just as well or better and cost much less. Check out ozone generators on e-bay.

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, to me the bags and such are not worth it. Get a rubbermaid storage closet even, drill and seal a cord entrance, buy any cheap ozone machine and you can drench the entire inside with ozone. I plan on building a plywood "room" in my garage this off-season or going the closet route....I have an ozone machine I think I bought for like $35 or so awhile back and use it now already to ozone soak all hunting stuff.

For that reason IMO getting an Ozonics and building a cheap storage container adds both scent precautions for you...me personally I'm not a huge believer in Ozonics up the tree due to constant wind shifting and wind currents just not allowing the Ozonics to truly do what some claim.

copperhead likes this.
  14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Im no scientist but here is my opinion on the matter. Note I said opinion. I have a scent crusher bad and do use it. I can smell the Ozone while the bag is running and on the clothes once I put them on. Ozone is supposed to kill odor causing bacteria but I'm beginning to think the smell is so overwhelming that it acts as a cover scent, kind of like the old smoking method.

I will say it does appear to work but if I can smell it I know a whitetail can. I'll continue to use it because I'll take all the help I can get but I will also continue to hunt the wind too.

15. rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Ozonics (given to me as a gift), and it really does work well. I used to carry the little tree attachment, and hang it above me all the time, but it just takes too long and makes me sweat even more. I usually just sit it on top of my bag and turn the thing on, serves the same purpose.

I have also used the 9V scentcrusher that you plug into your cigarette lighter of your pick up, and that thing works great.