Need - want new tractor

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Treehopper, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You do loose some PTO hp with the hydrostatic, but operating the tractor becomes way more user friendly. I almost never have to stop and change gears. Now, I've hear the shuttle shift systems are very nice, but I have not had any experience with them.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hydrostatic x 3

And I'd be eyeballing your salesman suspiciously
    for that recommendation.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the main reason I could see a salesman pushing a geared tractor over Hydrostatic. Cost of repairs, if that hydrostatic has problems, it's a very expensive fix. That's why the shuttle shift is a nice balance between the two. Not as smooth to operate, but still better than a traditional geared tractor

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    By
    Dean.... Everything these guys and girl said is dead on! For what you want to do, get a new salesman and go hydrostatic!

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We went Geared instead of hydro

Really hasn't bothered me to much since every tractor I have ever had excluding riding lawn mower has been geared.

6. x046461

x046461 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally would go Green. I may be a little biased though as I work for Deere. What ever brand anyone chooses the biggest things to consider are aftermarket supports(service and parts). I don't care what brand one chooses but the brand doesn't mean a thing if they don't look after you after you sign on the dotted line. We have red/orange, blue an green within a stones throw of each other. Both the Case/Kub dealer and ourselves routinely are picking up hard core New Holland customers based on our after market care of customers. Who can get you parts the fastest and get the correct ones? Who can drop everything at a moments notice and come out and fix your equipment as fast as they would the farmer down the road who spend $2.1 million?

Talk to the local farmers and see how they feel about their treatment at specific dealers. This is where is start. From there start looking at models, accessory packages and warranties. In my opinion price should be last. Just cause brand x is cheaper than brand y doesn't make it a better deal at the end of the day. Extremely reliable and exemplary customer support makes up for the increase in price(unfortunately this is not the rule more of the exception).

Sorry for the long winded post.

7. x046461

x046461 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What make and model did you end up deciding on?

8. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still going back n forth. Will look at other dealers the one that has the Kioti has a really good reputation. I think the salesman knows if I go hydrostatic that is a 3000 add on and I will have to wait a year.

The advice is great and appreciated. I won't go less than 45 hp.

X46461. If you r in Illinois I'd travel to pick it up. Can you shoot me a PM with a quote. Needs to have a bucket.

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the best luck with Masey Ferguson & Kubota.

10. x046461

x046461 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pm sent

11. Treehopper

Dislikes Received:
    I am now leaning towards a 50 hp bobcat w hydrostatic transmission. New. They don't make bobcat tractors so i can get this for the price of the 45 horse Kioti w the manual tranny. Need to think on this.

12. C Rogers

C Rogers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been looking at tractors myself, debating whether to sell my jon boat and buy a tractor instead.I have got access to tractors, good friend of mine owns the local Kubota dealership here in Southern Illinois and said I could use any used tractor that's in the lot. I have a mowing business and just started deer management service here in Southern Illinois. I have got a nice jon boat that didn't even see the water last year cause I was so busy I didn't have time cause of my full time job and lawncare business on the side. I may wait another year and just use tractors from him and see how much I use my boat this year and how much more business I get and go from there.It would be nice to have my own tractor though.

13. Treehopper

Dislikes Received:
    I am buying the 50hp Bobcat. I think I will be very happy with it. Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions.

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought you said they don't make Bobcat tractors so how are you buying one if they don't make them.....I'm confused now more than usual.

I actually bought a new Kubota garden tractor today, 27 HP hydro, PTO and 3 point and all the bells and whistles, a 5' tiller and a 6' finish mower. Will be using it for the pumpkin patches mostly but also to mow and spray with. I didn't get a loader with it but it's plumbed for one....after I got home I was kicking myself for not getting a loader. They didn't have one on hand but I think I'll call and order one tomorrow. Just looks like an overgrown lawn mower but the thing is pretty darn sweet, diesel of course and 4x4.

15. Treehopper

Dislikes Received:
    2013 was the last year Bobcat had tractors, they were made by Kioti for Bobcat. I found a dealer that had a Bobcat left, I checked out the dealer and they had a great reputation for service, that's how a got the Bobcat.

Parts should not be an issue as Kioti is going strong.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pics or it didn't happen :D

17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aha, that makes sense! I didn't realize they stopped making the bobcat tractors. Thats neat, hope you like it.

I'll take a couple pics of mine tomorrow and post them in a different thread, not much to see...it just looks like every other little Kubota made but I do like it so far. I already had two tillers, a 5' and a 6'. Never used the 5' any more because it was too little for the other tractors, I'm using it on this Kubota.