My review of two wireless cams

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by pastorjim08, Jun 28, 2017.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the last couple of months I have acquired two different wireless trailcams. One is a Stealth Cam GXW and the other being a Spypoint Link S.
    I bought these to place on an out of state property that I will only be able to scout twice a year.

Battery life:
    The Stealth Cam has taken about 1000 images, videos and stills and is still reading full.

The Spypoint has taken around 1500 images and is still reading full. It should be noted that the Spypoint has a solar panel that charges an internal battery. The manufacturer claims that this will enable the camera to run indefinitely without changing the batteries. I put a set of rechargeable batteries, this is not recommended, in the camera for testing here at home. In about a two week period, and 1400 pics, the battery indicator did not move, so I guess the solar panel is working. I have replaced them with lithiums since I put it in the woods.

Picture quality:
    The Stealth Cam's daylight pics are superior to the Spypoint with brighter colors and better contrast. But both had quality daytime pics. The Spypoint was the hands down winner when it came to night time pics. They were much clearer and had less blur.

Camera detection:
    The Stealth Cam has good detection and seems to detect the target at much greater distances than the Spypoint. But if you can understand what I mean, the Spypoint's detection seemed to be more sensitive.

Cell coverage:
    Where they are placed the cell service can be spotty but they are both sending pics from the woods without problem so far.

The apps:
    Both cameras send pics to an app. So far they seem to both work pretty well and are easy to navigate. I like the fact that you can change some camera settings from the apps. It should also be noted that the Stealth Cam sends your images automatically to Google Drive so you can view them on your laptop. You can also create an account at myspoint.com to be able to see the pics from the Spypoint on your laptop.

Features:
    The Stealth Cam will send video but the Spypoint will not. But the Spypoint has that solar panel, that if it works like the manufacturer claims, will be invaluable with battery replacement.

Final judgement:
    There are things I like about both cameras and so far it would be very hard to say one is better than the other. Time will tell how well they function over the long haul.

Price:
    I paid $199 for the Stealth Cam on sale at Rogers sporting goods. They are no longer at this price but they can be found between $300 and $400 about anywhere on the web.
    I'm not sure how much the Spypoint cost because my wife bought it from trailcampro. I know they are priced upwards of $400 on there.

Well there you have it. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have that I didn't cover here. I will say that it's a blast to get up every morning and see what's passed your camera the night before.

Blessings........Pastorjim [​IMG][​IMG]

Stealth Cam pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spypoint pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the review. This is my next step in my "must have gadget". Always something. I'm leaning toward the stealthcam. Just gotta find a good price on one or maybe a used one. How in the world are you getting 1000 photos in a few weeks. Geez. I check my cams and have like 60 in 2 weeks. But then again I'm on the dreaded state of New York. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. adkhunter1590

adkhunter1590 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the average joe review! I've been looking around at cell cams for months, still can't make myself pull the trigger on one yet. I keep telling myself that if I wait a bit longer, there might be a big leap in technology that will make them a lot better and cheaper. But the spypoint with the solar panel sounds like it's the best bet between those two. Not having to replace batteries so often will save you a lot of money in the long haul.

If anyone is looking to buy the stealth cam he's talking about, check on eBay. I'm 99% sure I saw them for $209 all over the place on there.

sethf11 likes this.
  4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just checked. They can be had for $200 or so. Ive decided I'm already going to grab one.

adkhunter1590 likes this.
  5. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Another alternative might be the Spypoint Link. It does not have the solar panel but is only $250. I also should have said in my initial review that the setup on the Spypoint was beyond easy. Although the setup with the Stealth Cam wasn't bad, the Spypoint was just super simple. Even for an old dude like me!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

sethf11 and adkhunter1590 like this.
  6. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What company are you with for data and what's the price and payment plan?

7. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Both of the cameras operate on the AT&T network. The Stealth Cam is $25 for three months. The Spypoint gives you a 30 day free period when you sign up. It also has a free monthly plan that I think includes 100 pics. There are several plans to choose from. I suggest you log onto their site to see all the different options. Hope this helps.

Blessings........Pastorjim

sethf11 likes this.
  8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jim,
    Thanks for the review buddy. i'm on the fence but might spring of another cell cam just to reduce human traffic. maybe a bedroom cam. Would suck if batteries died middle of the rut.

9. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I called Spypoint about their cameras and packages. You will want the link series camera. Those cameras are the ones on the "free" plan. If you go with the "live cv" or the live 4g" then they are crazy expensive and the mobile app will not work.

Those cameras are $20 a month, $30 a year plan and $5 a month for up to 100 photos a month.

The link series will be 100 free photos a month and few bucks more additionally for more photos. It's free yearly to run that camera through spypoint.

10. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jim, thats a different tactic using that mirror on the tree! Never seen that before

11. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    It hasn't worked out to well. My initial thing was see the animals reaction to themselves but so far I haven't been able to capture the pics just right. There's another camera off to the left side that is set to video in order to gain a different perspective. But like I said, I just haven't been able to get the shot I'm going for.........yet!

Blessings...........Pastorjim