My New G40 More questions??

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Creeks, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What about AVCHD VS MP4, if I'm just going to be posting on the internet etc.....Use MP4, and if I'm going to be showing it on the TV AVCHD....Is that correct in thinking that way...

or can you use MP4 and still have good quality on the TV?

Also when plugging the EXTERNAL RODE MIC, and telling your camera that your using EXTERMAL mic all functions are then controlled by the Mic....Is that correct??....What's better -10...0.....+20

Just learning and listening........Thanks
    Creeks

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always do AVCD because once you get done editing you can export the formats appropriately. If you are uploading the raw video MP4 would be better.

I use a Canon mic and it uses the hot shoe and it take over automatically so I never played with the mic settings. Interested on what others have to say though.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the Rode VideoMic and just plugged it in and never messed with settings on my G30. The audio has always been pretty good in my opinion.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    AVCHD will generally be a higher quality image than an MP4 since MP4 compresses the files even more than AVCHD. Both are just file compression software codec. AVCHD was specifically designed to compress HD footage to make the file size manageable. I think you are confusing that with the Progressive vs. Interlaced question. 1080p vs 1080i. Interlaced is more of a broadcast format while Progressive is more film like. Interlaced Fills in every other line of resolution, then comes back and fills in the missing lines. Progressive is more like how we read a book. Start at the top left and continue until it makes it to the bottom right corner(If that makes sense).

I would suggest AVCHD. I would also suggest 1080p @ 24 frames per second.

For the audio, you will want to get some headphones and do some tests. I'm assuming the -10,0+20 is referring to audio gain. Audio gain is where the camera amplifies the audio signal. I would expect 0 to be your best setting with your mic, but the only way to know for sure is to record some audio with each setting and make sure you have the proper recorded volume.

Creeks likes this.
  5. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Walker for the detailed info, much appreciated to this Green Horn.....But I can tell you one thing, when I learn this beast............IT'S ON!...LOL

copperhead and Skywalker like this.
  6. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the rode videomic pro and have been experimenting with audio levels. I found that using the mic at +20db plus recording at an internal mic level between 20 to 30 works best for me.

Creeks likes this.
  7. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It also makes a difference on which setting you set the cam at in custom settings. I like 2 channel sound.

Creeks likes this.