Multi vs. Single pin sight?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by BowCommander, Oct 6, 2019.

1. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been talking to more and more people these days that are switching to single pin sights. Anyone in here shoot single pin sights? Anyone have experience with both that have a preference?

2. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a 3 pin, fixed sight, for about 20 years. Two years ago, I switched to the HHA optimizer single pin, with the slider. I will never go back to a multi pin. The single pin allows for a less crowded field of vision. It is very easy to adjust the distance with the slider. Sighting in is very easy, as well, with the provided distance tapes and instructions. I also shoot more confidently now, since I can dial to a presice yardage, especially since you can't make the deer come in to exactly where your pins are set. Hope this helps.

BowCommander likes this.
  3. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a 5 pin for the first 2 years and just couldn't get decent groups or solid consistency out past 30 yards. I went to an HHA single pin and immediately started stacking arrows. It allowed me to focus on the target and not get caught up in what pin I should be using. Where I hunt the trees are thick enough that a 30 yard shot is as far as it gets so multiple pins arent very useful. I set it at 25 and anything shot I cheat a little low and anything past I cheat a little high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

fred_Bump and BowCommander like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a HHA single pin slider. Set it at 25 yards and threw away the tape. I don't get long shots where I hunt but I am comfortable out to 40 yards without adjusting the sight. It seems weird now to shoot a bow with multiple pins.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    BowCommander likes this.
  5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sota, interesting topic. I helped with a Hunter Education class a while back and did the archery part. I asked this question to the class. One guy had five pins and a guy next to him had one pin, almost instinctive shooting. This is, I guess, up to the individual shooter. I have three pins on my bow and the "close" one is dead on from 15 yards out to 25 yards. Others are 30 and 35. Shooting low poundage so I'm staying close to my target. Didn't get a bow with a sight for years as I learned instinctive and had a hard time adjusting to pins on my first bow.

6. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think with the comments above, I may try a single pin sight. I was looking at HHA's website and found the Optimizer Lite.

Thanks for your feedback.

7. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i started shooting better when i went from a traditional multi pin sight to a 3 pin vertical sight, i do still find the other fiber optic pins a little distracting sometime but all 3 being vertical is better than horizontal pins.
    i would imagine a single vertical pin would allow for easier focus on the only thing to see, your pin on target

8. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both multi and single, fixed and slider.

My current setup now is a two pin fixed, one at 30 and one at 45. Field of view is not crowded and the 45 comes in very handy for hold under and hold over in the 40 to 50 yd shot range. Anything up to 40 is a holdover with the top pin and then the second pin takes over.

9. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you considered a hybrid sight? that way you could get the best of both worlds. Such as a CBE tec hybrid or the TL3

Katt72 likes this.
  10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really comes down to your preference. If you only hunt from a stand and really like the sight picture of a single pin, then go for it. Many folks will set it for something like 27 yards and then just hold high or low depending on the shot distance when an animal comes in.
    My next sight will be a hybrid 3 pin mover, I think there is nothing better for me. It will allow different pin options run and gun elk hunting, sitting in a tree whitetail hunting, and 3D shooting for me. For elk the distance can change quickly, many times they will move AFTER I have drawn, could be at 20 yards and then spook and stop them with a call at 45 yards. Having 3 pins at 20-30-40 really helps. In a tree it is likely that exact distance can just be dialed and used for the shot. 3D shoots it is nice to be able to dial a pin in and hold right on for all the random distances. A hybrid would also be nice for spot and stalk, such as Mulies.
    I absolutely love the clean sight picture of my HHA single, but for my needs a 3 pin hybrid will do everything. With that being said, I like the HHA so much that I'll probably still use it for 3D.

xman and Katt72 like this.
  11. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I have shot every brand single pin known to man. Last year I switched back to a multi pin for simplicity. Well I shot ok but not as good as with a single pin. Last night my HHA Tetra came in the mail and she is all sighted in. I am shooting better groups with the Tetra so I will not be switching back to a multi pin. I set mine at 25 yards and I am 2" high at 20 and 2" low at 30. My bow only shoots 254fps

12. Terry Sneed

Terry Sneed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been usin a single pin for years, same as parkers dad, sight in at 25 yds about 2" high
    at 20yds, dont like the confusion of multiple
    pins.

13. HillviewHuntClub

HillviewHuntClub Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the CBE three pin adjustable sight. I absolutely love it. So nice to have the hybrid and be able to have fixed pins and then if you need a certain distance to just slide the dial to your yardage and put the pin right on.

Hillview Hunt Club

Katt72 likes this.
  14. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was a fixed sight shooter, 5 pins exactly. Then i discovered the single/hybrid sights. I have a Trophy Ridge React Trio, it's a hybrid sight. The 1st (2) pins are fixed horizontally, then the 3rd is vertical and slides from 40-120yds. This I believe is the best of both world sight. No pin clutter that's for sure! If you use your bow for more than a fixed range shooting, look into a hybrid sight.

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot one fixed pin.. see no need to change..I won't shoot past 30 yds anyways so I don't need more than one.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was just shooting, the a single pin would he the ticket however for a hunting sight I think a multi pin slider is way to go.