Midwest Public land advice

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Kyle Lawrence, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Kyle Lawrence

Kyle Lawrence Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New to public land hunting was originally planning a trip to ohio because its the closest big buck state to me but by the sounds of it its probably one of the most pressured states for public. Now looking into states like missouri kansas illinois indiana.For anyone who hunts public in the midwest i was just wondering if anyone had any advice, tips or preferences on a state that they would like to share that would be awesome. Not looking for any specific info on someone's spot just just some help to get started on what to look for. Thanks in advance.

2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're right about Ohio. The problem is it's the closest "trophy state" for 2/3 of the U.S. population. Those of us who live here + 40-50k nonres hunters = hammer time. You have a solid list. Indy STILL gets way overlooked in my opinion. It would be my frontrunner. But I don't see Kentucky on your list -and that's a huge mistake. Pound-for-pound, KY is as good (or better) than anywhere; especially the western side of the state.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Walk as much as you can. Now is the time to be walking it when you can still see everything that happened last fall. After green up in the spring you’ll be flying blind.

4. Kyle Lawrence

Kyle Lawrence Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have thought about kentucky as well but that being south of ohio I figured that would also receive alot of pressure from southern states.

5. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QDMA just posted a graphic having Ohio 5th most hunters per square mile. We have 12.3, which seems low..only ones higher than us are; PA, Rhode Island, New York, and Wisconsin.

Kyle Lawrence, Josh/OH and w33kender like this.
  6. Bowbunter k-32

Bowbunter k-32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been doing a lot of research for Illinois. If you get on the dnr website and start looking at public land management area's read about the hunter opportunities and different types of terrain and land features that you like or think will be good then start researching the maps and go from there. There also should be a number to contact someone about the place you can call for more information. Like what size of deer, hunting pressure, places to stay anything else you can think of. Good luck I hope this helps and little.

Kyle Lawrence likes this.
  7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In high pressure areas around me sometimes sitting right off the road is the best choice. Do a lot of walking but don't assume the deer are a mile in.

Kyle Lawrence and w33kender like this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Indiana has the least amount of public land (%) in the US but has easy and reasonably priced NR OTC tags and open season for archery equipment.

Illinois has ridiculously over priced NR tags and not a ton of public land options. Plus they have weird rules on public lands as well as multiple truncated orange army invasions.

I haven't hunted Kentucky yet but cheap OTC NR tags + decent amount of public land + really long season (Sept 1 - Jan 31) has me looking hard. If I don't elk hunt next year I'm probably heading down to KY in early and again in late season if needed.

9. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ky dose have a long season but these dates are wrong... season runs from the first Saturday in Sept to Jan the 15th each year.

dnoodles likes this.
  10. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a map of Ky county's also...It's the number of (entered) B&C from the last 10 year's.

27907888_1838081056226217_3776689841172290879_o.jpg

11. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Truth. Sometimes walking up the road from where you park, and then entering the woods at a slough or over a ditch can put you in an area relatively unused but in a prime deer area.

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the correction. Not sure where I read that but guessing wasn't the KY DNR site- I should've confirmed before I posted.

13. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    It actually dose start September 1st this year....that's the first Saturday in September this year. :)

14. NEB Bucks

NEB Bucks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nebraska is a great overlooked state. Lots of deer and a decent amount of public land. You will run into some hunting pressure during the rut but if you can make a trip to scout this summer to get on some good sign, September can be killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stay out of Illinois. No deer here. All dead. In all honesty Kentucky would be my choice.

“Not all those who wander are lost”

w33kender and Shocker99 like this.