Micro-Management Project Advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by bbowhunter17, Jan 2, 2017.

1. bbowhunter17

bbowhunter17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    Looking for some advice on my small property behind the house. It's a around 4 acres of mainly oaks, maples, and ash. We have planted a small foodplot to stop the deer on our property since it's so small. The neighboring properties pinch the deer down, so that they cross our property making it a funnel. We are located in MI and surrounded with hunters not at all interested in QDMA. We are considering hinge cutting some trees, to thicken the woods and hopefully make it more of a destination for deer. Any tips or advice would be appreciated to improve this property. Thanks.

Purple= fence line
    Green= Foodplot
    Orange=Heavily-traveled trails

Hopefully this pic shows up

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First, plan on all of the ash dying due to EAB. That will happen.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of a small plot I would work to plant within the trees. Very select cut to open the canopy allowing more sun. Improve soil conditions and fertilize. Even natural browse gets better with better soil.

I find deer are less skittish when they are not in clearings. Even small ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My advice before getting into the hinge cutting process too deep is to contact a county or private forester to help you determine the current health status of your woods. From there you can discuss which trees are desirable and which have little to no wildlife value. I don't know how it is in MI, but in Wisconsin our county foresters will come out to our properties upon request and do a summary of your forestry health and a species index. Once you have gained the knowledge regarding the trees I would then move into either clearing out undesirables, hinge cutting trees to open the canopy, and/or planting conifers in areas that have more open canopies. Another item you may want to look into is placement of water (wildlife pond, water tanks, etc.). As long as you can provide shelter/sanctuary, food, and water you will help pull the deer more into your property.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plant some different beneficial brush around the plot and add some apple and pear trees. Hinge cutting is just one way.