Match/mismatch field points vs hunting points

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by onederer, Dec 20, 2017.

1. onederer

onederer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 100 gn field point, and tune the bow for a hundred grain arrow. Then, I replace the 100 grain field point with a 100 grain hunting point. The results are altogether different!

Supposedly, both arrow points weigh the same, therefore the results should be the same, by using either arrow points. But the reality is that the final results are not the same.

Weighing the field point, and then the hunting point, and they don't weigh the same. It looks like it's a misnomer to put a claim that they both are supposed to weigh 100 grains.

I don't want to ruin the hunting points. They are too expensive for that. I want to get the bow ready for hunting, using a field point. How do you cope with that disparity? How do you equalize the equation?

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had good luck with bareshaft tuning. I don’t have any links handy but I’ll try to find one

dstouffer likes this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it’s all about tuning your rest and having good consistent form. Paper tune or bare shaft tune then broadhead tune. I have also had good luck with French tuning. I find it usually comes back to paper tuning for me. Once I get bullets through paper good broadhead flight usually follows quickly with very minimal fuss.

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would bareshaft tune this is essential in my opinion because in my experience when i barehsaft tune i can put any head on and have it fly perfectly with my field tips