Man Survives Double Grizzly Attack

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lucky man. Mama Sow protecting her cubs is nothing to mess with

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well that was a bad day.

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scary stuff. I hunt central Wisconsin and back then black bears was a thing of the far north. Over the past 10 years they have been moving south and are now in the areas that I bowhunt. Back in 2011 opening day of bow season i climbed up in my climber and within 10 mins. I had a black bear huff growling following my trail up to the base of my tree. It was somewhat of a cool experience but also heart pounding because i've never seen a bear before in my life. A little under-powered but I now carry a .40 chambered with 200 grain Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo for the piece of mind and I also have Bear Spray that I carry with me occasionally.

rick-florida likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That guy is one tough SOB.
    I hunt Adams Co. WI and between the bears and now 2 confirmed wolf XXattacksXX [DNR edit- I meant] "encounters" with humans in that area; I go nowhere into the woods w/o a sidearm.

A .40SW with 200gr is a little light but should be enough for a black bear and more than adequate for wolves. Most hunters don't have the extra cash to drop on a gun just to tote into the woods for bear and 10mm ammo ain't cheap.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/11/wi-second-wolf-incident-lends-credit-to-wolf-attack-account/

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/wolf/dogdeps.html

kurveball18 likes this.
  6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very, very lucky. Being able to maintain some sense of calm during a situation like that?!
    Growing up in South Africa and having been a ranger in dangerous game areas for many years, I'm surprised people don't carry larger caliber firearms in these areas for protection. We have a minimum requirement of carrying a .375 caliber in DG areas. I preferred my .458 but it comes down to personal preference. Speaking from experience, when these animals charge, a mock charge can turn into a life threatening situation extremely fast. Its' split second decisions that will save your life. Practicing and being prepared for these type of situations are essential. Luckily I've never had to use my firearm, and looking back it was always a pain carrying the extra weight around in such hot temperatures, but I'm happy to have always been prepared and protected...just in case. Allot to learn from this video! Great work and thank you for not blaming the animal. We are visitors in their environments and should be thankful to share nature alongside these majestic creatures. God bless.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As I was making a trek into the woods yesterday about 3 miles I was thinking about this man and how he was doing. I think it's great he did a follow up story on it! Very impressive and some great knowledge to be learned from this tough guy! :tu:

Rangerdan likes this.
  8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:

Yea I agree. I dont have the cash to upgrade to a 10mm or something else like a 41 mag etc. so i looked at all my options for my .40 caliber. The 200 grain is the heaviest grain bullet they make for my caliber. The rounds I carry are the 200 grain Outdoorsman loads by Buffalo Bore.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=347

dnoodles likes this.
  9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's a nice sounding round- I've been victim of a "kaBOOM" on a hot .40SW that destroyed my .40 XDM so I appreciate the fact that it's standard pressure.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a 40 xdm. What exact round went ka Boom?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys really feel the need to carry a side arm for black bears? And for all the guys that carry a gun over spray, have you researched success rates? The spray is about 90% effective at neutralizing a situation while a gun is only 50%. I never carry a sidearm and only carry spray in grizzly country out west.. maybe we grew up different but we have never thought twice about black bears

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Sota likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if it is true but have heard that there are more black bear attacks than grizzly in the US.

13. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Someone needs to give this guy the Bad A of the year award...

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a lot to be learned the second time you get mauled by a bear.

15. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't personally carry a sidearm in black bear country, but lets take another look at that video...do you think the bear would have come in for that second attack if he managed to get a round into it? The bear spray clearly didn't work. Will it work 90% of the time? Probably. But you just need one bear that Is adamant and aggressive, in which case I don't believe a .40cal will do anything either to be honest. I've seen lions taking several rounds of .357 and kept coming. Adrenalin is an amazing thing. Its what saved this mans life and its more often that not, what saves most animals in these type of situations.
    The reason most people are unsuccessful with their side-arms, is they are ill prepared and don't know how to react and to wait until the animal is close enough to make an accurate shot. Panic and fear sets in, and its very easy to freeze in a situation like this.

We have specific courses in South Africa to qualify for walking with Dangerous Game, not to mention the fact that you need to: log 50 encounters with at least 5 different species of dangerous animals (Hippo, Leopard, Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Lion) with a qualified "lead guide" signing off on a minimum of 1200 hours of walking & encounters with DG prior to your qualification being signed off and approved. In addition you need to qualify for ARH (Advanced Rifle Handling) every 2 years and most reserves require a day on the range at least monthly (for liability issues). The ARH qualification is specific to dangerous game situations and has nothing to do with military-type training. You are tested with real-time "charging" targets moving up to 55Mph, simulating lion charges. If you score under 90% its a fail and you are ineligible to work or walk for 2 weeks before you get to attempt to re-qualify! Its one thing placing accurate shots on paper targets, sitting at a bench with a .223 or .243. Its an entire other matter placing accurate shots on a moving target with a .458 while walking in the bush (woods) and being surprised.

This all being said, the fundamentals of walking/living/hunting in the wild, is understanding animal behavior and hopefully never having to use spray or a firearm to protect yourself, but rather diffuse the situation by being vigilant and avoid confronting circumstances. But, as the saying goes: "I'd rather have it and not need it, that need it, and not have it!"

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    dnoodles likes this.
  16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I venture in the big woods by me I never carry a side arm. We have plenty of wolves and black bears running around however I'm never uneasy. If I see a mama bear with her young I will probably get nervous but most the time if they hear you coming they are gone before you see them. :tu:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Rangerdan likes this.
  17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I almost always carry a firearm when I'm out alone.

There are bears, lions, rattlesnakes and the occasional creepy person.

A coyote is always worth at least $50 too.

I figure the reason I'd really need the gun is to signal for help if I fell and broke my ankle or something. :/

I carry a beretta 92. (M9)
    If I can't kill whatever it is with 15 hot 9mm rounds, I can beat it to death with it. (Or die trying)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    tough bastard.

Great story.

20. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    That's the thing with sidearms. With woods protection its never a "sure thing". I carry my .40 with the appropriate ammo to give me the best chance. 99.9999% of the time i'll never need it and hope I never do. Its more piece of mind than anything. It's all about having a chance to protect yourself along with other measures.

The thing us humans need to realize is that your going into their home territory and you are a guest. If you respect them and their home, you should have no issues being out their. But in that rare .0001 % if myself and an aggresive bear happen to cross paths at the wrong time or whatever, atleast having a sidearm is better than nothing sometimes.

Another thing to mention. Black Bears are not like Grizzly's for example. Typically in most cases a black bear will run off if it encounters a human and if you do encounter an aggresive black bear that is coming at you or attacking, typically you just need to try to hurt it versus killing it to get it to run off or stop attacking. Grizzly's on the other hand, you hurt it, and your more or less pissing it off.