Man Arrested for Illegal Buck Transported From PA

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Funny thing about stupid people, they don't think they will get caught.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I always wondered who would go shoot a deer in a pen and then try to pass it off as a free-range kill. Now I know.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wish the story had a picture of the clown.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My question is WHY? Doesn't sound like he was trying to pass it off as a record. Was he not told and didn't know the transportation rules at the time and tried covering that up. Shouldn't the deer farm have some type of liability in this also?

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Once the deer is killed and loaded up in the killer's truck the game farm has nothing to do with it. If the person wants to leave the farm, drive to another state, slap another tag on it and claim it's a wild deer that's on them. The farm isn't under any obligation to make sure their clients aren't stupid.

copperhead and Sota like this.
  7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A guy must really be in need of an ego stroke to try to pull that off.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I knew a guy I used to coach his kid in football, the guy worked for federal cartridge and was a big shot that hunted all over. I was over to his house and he had just got his elk mount back it was enormous. I commented that the antlers seemed really light not like the normal darker color, asked him where he shot it, he was rather flustered and changed the topic. It was a high fence Elk.

Shocker99 likes this.
  9. Champlain Islander

Champlain Islander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our state has pretty strict import rules for deer taken from other states that have CWD. Just a few years ago CWD was never found east of the Mississippi but now it is all over. What a shame and the deer or elk captive farms are often to blame for spreading it. My opinion is all deer and elk should be hunted fair chase and in the wild.

10. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang my area isn't rampid with CWD like some of the midwest but why would you try to so that if you know the transportation rules

11. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I also wish people would give the heads to be tested so there wouldn't be as much sharp shooting.

12. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Justin - so what' s the answer or solution to this type of problem? Granted, there are a number of questions we don't have answers for, like why was the deer suspected of being diseased. But the bottom line is that there appears to be information indicating some of these deer farms are breeding grounds for CWD type diseases. There are no tests available on live animals to see if they carry the disease. So what is the answer? I agree that the farm is not liable for the killers stupidity, but their responsibility should not end immediately after he shoots his deer. What about mandatory cleaning, butchering and disposal of the hide - especially in areas where CWD has been confirmed? The farms are at fault if they do not take every precaution to prevent the possibility of spreading a disease, especially one as devastating as CWD. The farms don't want further government rules and regulations, but they also do not want to police themselves! I do not mean to indicate that the criminal is any less responsible, just that these "killing cages" should also have a responsibility in these matters as well.

In my opinion, the same responsibilities apply to the makers of natural deer urine. Until there is a test to prove none of the herd is contaminated, I cannot, in good faith, use natural urine any longer. It is just not worth the risk. There are too many unanswered questions.
    I am so glad you did not call this guy a hunter!

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ultimately its the responsibility of the individual to know the applicable games laws in the states that he/she travels to and from. I live in North Carolina and hunt in Virginia. As such I can't kill a deer in either state an legally transport it across state lines. Even if the state line is 50 yards from where it died. It has to be de-boned and all brain matter removed from skull if in tact.

This page is a good resource and covers most states:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Cervid-Carcass-Regulations#7214889-north-carolina

Some responsible organizations will help to ensure their clients are covered. For example almost every outfitter I have spoken with in Canada informs their client of the proper process to get the animal parts back into the states. That included caping the hide, removing all brain matter from the skull and deboning the meat.

Depending on the state several of the farms are strictly regulated. They have to account for each and every deer species that flows through their gates. Many states require that they harvest the brain stem and submit for testing.

But you are going to always have ignorant people who don't care about the rules. These are the idiots that should suffer as a result. This whole protect people from themselves stance has been around way to long.

14. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Copperhead - that's a wonderful sentiment in a perfect world. Now, where I come from, it's not a perfect world. CWD is one nasty issue and it WILL require protecting us from ourselves especially since there are so many who lack the sense God gave a grapefruit. I agree with you 100% about being responsible for yourself, but that will not and does not address the facts. The facts are that people are going to transport contaminated deer between states and at this point, a certain amount of evidence points directly at these deer farms and caged shooting galleries.

How do you propose these idiots should suffer? You neglected to mention what to do if/when one of them brings CWD to a state that currently is free from this disease? I don't have answers, but it certainly is not going to be a solution that is based on a person's integrity any more!

copperhead likes this.
  15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Smitty0220 you have a very valid point. I guess added regulations that the farm be required to properly process and clean the animal for transportation be required if they want to run that sort of business. Then charged with proper disposal of said carcass remains. That process should be audited from time to time. Expensive but would work. That way clients don't have responsibility and the cost would be added to their bill to address overhead.

16. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It isn't so much about protecting us from ourselves (although I agree there is far too much of that) but protecting us from the idiots who can't be bothered to think or be considerate of others.

17. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what the laws are in PA for taking deer from a farm after being killed. I believe in WI every deer that dies or is shot on a farm must be tested for CWD. Should there be requirements that farms record and report killed animals and by who and where the dead animal will be transported?

18. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    See - THIS is the kind of dialog we need on these types of issues. I don't have the answers, but someone somewhere just might. We also need to send these ideas along to the folks who make the decisions and DEMAND that they take some type of action. The way I understand it is that a number of companies that sell deer urine have banded together and inundated some of the national meetings where they are attempting to address CWD. As you can imagine, they are NOT in favor of any type of banning deer urine as it will affect their bottom line. The deer farms and "fenced killing" place have also made complaints. These types of actions are not in the best interest of our deer herds nor in our own best interests.

As I have no desire to hunt behind a fence, there is no way for me to have an effect on those places. I can and have stopped buying deer urine and have sent several letters to the various companies explaining my reasoning.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why can't people just go hunt wild animals and struggle here and there? Way it was meant to be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

20. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking for guys in their 60s this guy should have been old enough to know better. Sounds like he was after a massive ego stroke.

Blessings.........Pastorjim