Lost a buddy today

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Jan 15, 2018.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I made one of these posts back in 2016 when I lost my Weim, figured it was only fair to do the same for one of my other best buddies but this time it's a house cat. I saved a lone kitten back in 2002 here at home and raised him with care. A couple years later when I got my weim, they both just adopted each other and were besties until the end. You'd rarely see one in the yard without the other tagging along.

Cat came down sick last evening, this morning when he was a little worse, I braved iced glazed roads to get him to our vet almost an hour away. Blood work showed he had leukemia. He was pale and weak and no hope for recovery so we made the hard decision to put him to sleep. He's here at home to be laid beside his buddy as soon as the ground thaws enough to place him. Best cat ever, R.I.P buddy.

Ldsturg likes this.
  2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sorry for your loss. dreading the day we lose our cat. going to be tough but that's the unfortunate part of owning pets. god speed to your little buddy!

CoveyMaster likes this.
  3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks TC, yeah it sucks to lose'em. This coming from a strong anti-feline, dog guy. I never imagined I'd ever own and care for a cat. I'll still dispatch strays when I see them just because of the predator load on quail. I still have two cats here at home even though I defend our quail. I had them spayed and neutered (male and female) a long time ago and keep them inside most of the time in the old summerhouse/garage. Cats can be fantastic pets for sure, never imagined I'd get so attached to any cats...

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang. Sorry to hear man. It’s easy to get attached to cats too. I had one when I was a kid named Jasper. He was cool as they come. Until he went nuts and attacked anyone who came within range. His pupils were super dilated. Swear he got possessed. Was sad

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, one thing that always made me not like cats was my mom's aunt, when I was little like 6-7. She kept a couple of Siamese cats, they were wonderfully beautiful and would come to you and encourage you to pet them but the second they decided they had enough...rather than leaving you they'd just explode and scratch the living crap out of you. One day we were there and just being a little kid I didn't even know to watch them, they came up all friendly like and I made the mistake of my little life. I petted one on the front shoulder and that thing laid me the eff open, I'll never forget that. Didn't take stitches but man it hurt and left a set of scars for years.

I've seen YT vids of people with pet bobcats and lynx cats...looks awesome but I'd never be brave enough to go that far, lol.

tc racing likes this.
  6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss Covey. I lost my best bud Coors (I got him in college haha) a little under a year ago to the same thing. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. This pic was taken 2 weeks before he passed. He always had that cat "smile" with any person or any animal. [​IMG]

Dogs are mans best friend but man, cats are cool as hell too. I'll send a prayer tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveyMaster likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was bummed as hell when my barn cat/ tracking cat War Kitten disappeared, little easier with a barn cat they usually just disappear. Any pet is hard to lose.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 10 year old min-pin and a 3 year old cat.

Both trade places laying in front of the extend a vent beneath the love seat.

She took control of the heat vent tonight.

I hate knowing he is 10 years old...

20180115_213116.jpg

CoveyMaster likes this.
  9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man, sorry you lost Coors, cool looking cat. I didn't even know that ailment was a "thing" with cats...man it hit fast and hard. Tom seemed okay one day and just like that it kicked his butt. I freaking hated having to make that decision, it's never easy. Second animal in my life I've had to euthanize and it sucks, nah...worse than that...it's just awful. I'm glad hes not suffering anymore at least and I don't regret having it done as there was really no other real choice. I was a little surprised he made the trip alive to be honest then when we got there he acted better and even ate a kitty treat, got my hopes up until the blood test results finished. By the time they had the results back and read, he was too weak to stand up all the way again so...

I hate to say it but it's at least a little liberating that he's not suffering and I didn't have to prolong watching him go at home. That is the first time I have ever not brought an pet back home to pass, even the other dog I had put to sleep was here at home with a very accommodating vet.

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh how cute! That cat is pretty.
    Yeah at 10 years old I started getting scared for my weim too. I always realized what I had and appreciated her though. I literally couldn't have spent any more time with her than I did, especially the last 5-6 years and I'm very happy about that. This cat was the same way. No matter how much it hurts to lose them, I'm still always happy I was literally blessed with them.

Damned vet bills are getting a bit salty though. $700 in the last 2.5 weeks. Vet care is getting nuts.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear of your loss my friend. I dread the day my fatso goes. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MnHunterr and CoveyMaster like this.
  12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to despise cats...as for inside animals I love em now. Character, loyalty, hilarious...stubborn little craps too LOL!

Sorry for your loss bub, never a good experience.

CoveyMaster likes this.