Locater calls

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never killed a turkey before and have made it my mission to try as hard as I can to get it done this spring here in Kentucky. I plan on scouting As much as I can from now until season opens which is April 15th. I've tried blowing an owl call in my truck back and forth to work but I don't think it sounds good, I've read about people using duck calls and I wondered if anyone else have used one. I'm no competition caller but I can call ducks and I actually plan on scouting a spot I've seen turkeys before right next to a large slough that holds mallards and wood ducks, just wanted to get some opinions. Also any turkey tips are welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stick with the owl call for early morning. Gotta remember the cadence of "who cooks for you, who cooks for y'alllllllll".

Also go online and watch some videos and watch videos of real owls. You will get it. Get a crow call too.

You will get it. Turkey calling is an art form. Takes a lot of practice and knowledge to get it right. You will get there in no time. Just keep at it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Jrob140 likes this.
  3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember that the Great Horned Owl is one of the wild turkeys main predators so don't follow the locater call with a hen call from the same place. A crow call will present less of a "threat" to the turkey.
    It definitely takes practice but perfection is not the goal. Get out in the woods and listen to the real turkeys, they are far from perfect.
    The call that seth is talking about is from a Barred Owl.