List of the new proposed Gun control Bills

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I see 2 groups developing on OUR side...

We have the "Any gun restriction is un-constitutional and i can own whatever I want" side,

And the "If your a law abiding citizen then having restrictions wont hinder our rights" side.

And im somewhere in the middle. I think i should be able to buy, sell, trade any gun i choose to...have any amount of ammo...but at the same time, we need to limit WHO can get guns and the ease that criminals can obtain them...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

2. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Living in NY, we alread have many of these restrictions in place. If you think that this is the end of the story, you're sadly mistaken. Take a look at Rick James's thread on the front page. NYS senate is already looking to push for much tougher regulations, ones that would affect even law abiding citizens. There is no gun show loop-hole in NY, while pre-ban 30rd magazines are legal currently, the new legislation looks to out right ban them, along with all AR style rifles.

Coming from a state with tough regulations (All but impossible to get concealed carry in my county), I took some comfort knowing other areas of the country were not as strict. All it would take was a simple move and I could have the freedoms I wanted. Considering the federal government is looking to pass laws that would conflict with our Constitution, I believe they have gone too far.

By continuing to compromise, all you do is continue to lose your rights piece by piece. I feel sad for whoever fails to see this.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's where I stand, my big thing is some of these bills that are trying to be introduced go for everything.

I don't think anyone has ever said background checks or keeping guns out of the hands of both criminals and the mentally ill are opposed. But they're not trying to fix the criminal and mental illness issue, they feel taking all guns away will solve the problem. My guns have never killed anyone or been in the hands of someone wanting to kill someone, yet they are targeted just the same.

There is a common ground that can be reached, what it is I'm not certain, but when one side is always trying to force it on us it does make the general reaction become opposition. The way they make it sound that guns are the lone factor, one would wonder why there are not mass killings at shooting ranges and other places where gun owners congregate in numbers.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind closing any loopholes on background checks. I'm fine with that one. It doesn't restrict or even change how I buy guns. If I buy from a store, I get a background check. It wouldn't be that hard for the people at the gun shows to call in a background check. BUT, anything restricting the type of gun, or ammo, or mag it uses is not acceptable to me. If any of this restrictive legislation is passed, I urge everyone to vote out any representative that voted in favor of this restriction.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys do realize that 'closing the gunshow loophole' is really anti-gunner speak for making firearms sales between private individuals illegal???! Using words like 'assault weapon', 'cop killer bullets', 'high capacity clips' and 'loopholes' are great ways to sway the ignorant. Don't be ignorant.

At gunshows, all licensed dealers still have to do all the paperwork and the background check. (and waiting periods in states that still have such.... like IL)
    Just like they would at the shop or at home or where ever.

There is only a 'loophole' if you think that you should not be allowed to sell a firearm privately.

6. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I never used the word compromise. I dont have strict gun laws where i live and i am basing my information off my local laws. We have concealed carry, castle law, no magazine or type of rifle bans, and even open carry.

Getting proper and working gun laws in place is not a compromise at all in my opinion. Laws are needed for organized society. I have no issue with background checks. Once cleared...buy away. "Assualt" weapons, pistols, sawed off shotguns, high powered rifles, crate ammo. Land of the free, home of the brave.

7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    And until you work with the public, in THEIR environment, you wouldnt understand my side. Not every person in America bowhunts whitetail deer and understand how to properly use a firearm. We are in the minority.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how much attention you gave to the IL situation of late, but you have to remember that IL is in the White House the next 4 years. You think it's a coincidence Emanuel would forgo a position in the White House to become mayor of Chicago? They didn't want to lose control of Chicago.

Illinois' recent fiasco will be on the national level shortly, and it will trump anything OH currently has.

9. Zdeerslayer

Dislikes Received:
    I'm telling you from the perspective of someone that lives where these laws are already in place, that background checks and other laws that make sense to us (law abiding citizens) are just a step towards allowing politicians to enact even stricter legislation.

I am fine with going through the background check, and I would even support laws to limit firearms access to those with a history of violent/potenial for violence mental health disorders. However, the limiting of certain magazines, purchasing of bulk ammo, and demonizing of 'assault rifles' are just tactics used by hypocritical politicians in order to keep/take guns from law abiding citizens.

10. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    call me selfish but i want it at a federal level cause if it was left to the state IL would be F**KED!!!

11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    If you have read any of my posts, you would see that i have no problem with any of those things. I own high capacity magazines...my family has "assault" rifles. We are law abiding citizens and plan to keep it that way.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Careful what you wish for, imagine what states would push for after a national ban took place. Then the states go for even more

13. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Selling firearms privately is a very difficult subject. How would you feel selling a firearm to an individual who then went on to use it in a murder? Yea, they could have bought it from anyone, but where is the moral line? I do not know the answer.

I do know that my local fairgrounds has (had) a monthly gun show, open to the public, where anybody could go and buy guns. It was a great place to buy firearms, for me and the drug dealer standing next to me...do you get what i am saying?

14. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    You KNOW the strict states are not going to loosen their laws...

15. Zdeerslayer

Dislikes Received:
    Having had a father who worked on the NYPD's ESU Team as well as their Counter Sniper team, and a grandfather who started the FBI's SWAT/SRT program, I admit I had ther luxery of far more firearms training than the average American. This is why I wish there was access to proper training for individuals seeking it with limited to no cost.

With all the other funding that is given to SS, Medicare, medicaid, and welfare, you would think a good way to help spread firearms saftey would be programs aimed at supporting the cause. It seems Capital Hill thinks the only solution is further regulation.

16. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    One of the big problems is the people with money, and what i would assume is close to the majority of voters, now have a negative opinion of firearms.

17. Zdeerslayer

Dislikes Received:
    Some of these laws looking to get passed in NYS would make anything larger than a 10rd mag illegal, regardless if their 'pre ban' or from any era. Owning a 30rdr would mean your breaking the law. I think we're on the same page for reasonable resituctions, but politicians are re-writing the book on what is reasonable in my state.

18. Zdeerslayer

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would feel about the same if I sold a car to someone who then used it to drive over a little old lady holding her 3 month old grandchild. Sad, but not responsible.
    If I had a gun for sale and I thought the person who wanted to buy it was a bit twitchy.... I wouldn't sell it. Simple. But I can't know what everyone might do off in the future... and neither can anyone else.

Less than 1% of guns used in crimes come from gun shows. Know what I'm saying? If your local drug dealer can go into a gun show and buy a gun from a dealer, he still has to go through the background check. If he passes a check it's because your local law enforcement sucks and hasn't convicted the guy of anything yet. If he gets turned down because he is a felon.. then it's illegal for him to buy a gun from anyone. Criminals will get their guns, they don't need a gun show or Joe Citizen to do it.

The simple reality is that more guns laws won't stop crime.

Look to IL/Chicago. Chicago had it's handgun ban, it's assault weapon ban, a more than 10 rounds magazine ban, you can't even possess a single round of ammunition without first going through a state police background check and getting a FOID card. Over 2500 shootings, 500 murders last year.... yeah, what they need is another gun law!

Every time we compromise... we lose.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't "know" that, and with every election the balance of the scale can tip either way. IL currently has to enact some form of concealed carry within the next few months. They banned or tried to ban conceal carry and were overruled. That's a big win for the citizens of a strict state.