Legit Sub-$100.00 Cameras Worthy Of Considering

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by tynimiller, Aug 21, 2017.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be honest this is perhaps the number one question I always get from friends, followers or while discussing trail cameras with anyone...and you see it come up quite often but knowing the type of guys (and gals) here figured be nice to have a somewhat current thread if someone searches the forum come up searching the popular $100 or less discussion.

So to be clear this is not for $105.00 cams....or $120 cams. These are cameras you could go out find right now with no sale, coupon code or connections and grab for $100 or less. Period.

To date IMO I've only found one camera that can be had for this that I'd still recommend to folks and that is the MPe6 (used to be MPe5) by Covert. For the price I am fine with the sacrifice you make in setting options and reach on flash but little thing is a tank it seems and still puts forth solid (not blow you away obviously) daytime pictures with night time pictures that are serviceable for what many of us need which is inventory not calendar worthy.

Curious if anyone has a true blue $100 or less camera they would still recommend to someone considering a purchase and desires not to spend more than $100.

2. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I've ever spent over $100 on a camera...

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The WGI cameras are really the only consistently sub $100 cams. It's just a spin of the wheel with those though. You might get a good one or you might not. At least if you're going to go cheap there are plenty of those around and I've heard they will exchange them pretty easy.

Blessings........Pastorjim

jtreat likes this.
  4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have some off brand 16MP (sure I expect they're probably actually 8-10) that are supposed to arrive this week. I'll keep you informed on that. They were ~$70 each.

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Moultrie A-30 this year. Battery life is good. Very easy to use. Trigger speed is ok. Quality of pics vary, but mostly ok. I think it was under $80 new.

I am "Ok" with the images provided, but do not expect the quality I get with my more expensive Moultries.

Attached Files:

foodplot19 and CoveyMaster like this.
  6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I've always seen this pop up on sale or as recommended for me on Amazon...solid photos it seems for expectation.

7. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't take great pictures, but you get decent ones and it is reliable for the money.

tynimiller likes this.
  8. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it or not, the Primos Bullet Proof Cam has worked flawlessly for me as a "cheap" camera. I bought 2 at wally world for $30 each on clearance. They have both been on public land since June 2016. Nothing fancy, only one setting..."ON"...but they work. First set of batteries lasted from Early June 2016-February 2017. New batteries installed this June. I literally left both in the woods the entire season last year without checking them. I had over 10k pics per camera to go though when I checked them in January.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the cheapest cams I've bought are the Stealthcam G30. I think I have 5 or 6 of them. They take decent pics but a lot of the evening pics are really washed out. Other than that it's a solid camera for the money. This will be 3rd year running them and I leave them out about 8mo out of the year. I think the next time I put them out though I'm just gonna leave them

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bass pro has the Browning strike force elite for 99.97. Imo for pictures better than Covert and any wildgame.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rangerdan, kjstaudt86 and pastorjim08 like this.
  11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Which model? I've looked at the 02 and 03 for the price. From what you said I'm gonna guess it is the first gen as the second and 3rd have different options than one setting.

boonerville likes this.
  12. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MPe6. Love everything but video mode.

Christine, tynimiller and boonerville like this.
  13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was really impressed with my primos proof cam it took decent pics and had really good battery life (9 months through winter). I liked it so much that i was actually sad when it wouldn'y turn on the following summer. If you get one like boonerville definitely worth it pic quality is very good for the price. Granted im not the friendliest to cams put them out early june and pick them up late may.

boonerville likes this.
  15. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is the first gen....I did pick up a 2nd gen for $49 at ****s Sporting Goods a few weeks ago. It's still in the package lol.

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    This is a picture from the first gen Primos proof cam from a few weeks ago. Not a bad public land buck either
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin Buckwatch likes this.
  17. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My new promos gen 2 03 camera takes good pictures in the sun. In the shade the pictures are all black. You can hardly see anything.

beavertronic likes this.
  18. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stupid autocorrect got me. Primos gen 2 - 03

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Primos truth cam 02 last year that I really liked before I gave it away as a Bday gift. It wasn't cheap though, I think I gave like $100 for it at a local archery shop. Price has come down on cams since then though.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually shocked at the love those little bullet proof cams are getting. The main reason we stopped using Primos years ago and switched over to mostly Covert was batter life. I've decided if given the side cash and see a good deal on one, we may give Primos a swing to patrol either public elsewhere or high theft potential spots on the properties.

foodplot19 and boonerville like this.