Legal vs. Illegal "Would you shoot or not"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tynimiller, Nov 15, 2012.

?

15 minutes till legal light but you can see enough to shoot the HUGE buck...do you?

1. YES, I haven't but wouldn't hesitate.

91 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. YES, I have before and will if happens again.

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. NO, I have before and I felt terrible.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. NO, never have and never will.

38 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Right you are sir. I would rather live morally then by "mans" laws...does that make sense?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense, do I full agree...well obviously not due to what I did, but I do understand what your saying.

3. xtrainer

xtrainer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Of I'm positive I'm not shooting another hunter, I'm shooting. The law is for safety.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using Tapatalk 2

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Them would you shoot a deer the day before or after the season at non???? If not, why?

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my, what a conversation. This could go on forever and calling someone a poacher for determining to shoot when they can see clearly enough to do so seems a little much to me. Someone turning on a blue sight pin light to see better is okay though I guess? I am not sure I understand that? I think the idea of the legal daylight is to prevent intentional night hunting and yes I know someone is going to say if it isn't legal daylight yet, it is night hunting.I just don't think the idea is that anyone is going to have to check every second on their watch before shooting. I also get the idea that some would shoot because they have a bow and it is quiet enough that no one will hear it. Okay... I get it... I don't agree or disagree with anyone's answer here. Maybe my thinking is I go hunting and fishing to escape having to over analyze everything I do in life. There are always laws that seem to have a go-no go element to them but c'mon.

What if you are tracking a deer at night and you take your bow in case you have to make a follow up shot hours after legal shooting light? Would you let that deer get away or would you stab it with a knife? What if a deer runs 5 feet onto a neighboring property and dies? Are you going to get it or leave it? What if the legal bh weight is 100 grains and you weigh yours and yours weighs only 99 grains? There are countless what ifs... judgment calls... I am not going to label every hair-splitter a poacher when I know there is probably something I do somewhere that isn't completely legit. Maybe my hunter orange isn't official hunter orange enough or as you may notice in my hog hunting picture it has a logo on it... oooh... it is supposed to be solid That's just me I guess, I am just not going to lose sleep over every possible what if scenario. Some people do and I respect that a lot. I will say this, having to look over your shoulder doesn't sound like much fun to me, neither does having to lie about the legitimacy of your trophy.

6. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said, I back your post.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Alright some great stuff here, and honestly more thought out than some have been. i think it boils down to intentionally doing something you know is wrong. That's why I feel your broadhead example is perfect. If a hunter unknowingly shoots an illegal broadhead due to it being underweight...I don't see a problem. Now if that same hunter weighed the broadheads and knew they weren't but used them anyways, now that is illegal and if used they are choosing to break the law.

If you choose to bait when it's illegal that's choosing to break the law. If you choose to not look at your watch or phone to know when legal to shoot (if you state has a time set)...you are choosing to break the law, avoiding the time doesn't change it.

This all of course is all my opinion, and it's based on the following reasons:

-I respect the animal I chase to the point of not cheating or breaking the laws set to the "game" I choose to play in my chase for them.

-I refuse to cost myself any kind of integrity just to harvest a trophy buck...in the end it's a deer and this is a hobby. (if we were talking survival, I'd be freaking spotlighting)

Just my reasons, not yours or anyone else. I hope to use all this information from this poll to write an article on the topic which will hopefully at the least make people think about it...that way they know exactly what they'll do when or if they're ever presented with a similar situation to what I was.

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well said and definitely worth thinking about for those breaking game laws. The trick to life is doing the right thing even when the correct thing is the wrong thing. It gets complicated that way sometimes but this one (your question) is clearly out of bounds. Will we all get to read your article?

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah I'll be sure to let you guys know when I actually sit down and work it all out. I'm actually gonna think about asking someone from the opposing viewpoint share some thoughts in it as well. As well as asking some if I can use quotes from here. I more or less just want guys to think about it, because I know at least for me I don't ever want regret to creep into my thoughts when I take a trophy or see it on the wall.

10. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plausible Deniability, I like it.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    What?! :confused:

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This.makes no sense, Caleb... I still love ya tho ...

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of good points being made I guess for both sides of the question. I don't believe every hunter out there watches the clock to see exactly when its "go" time. As others have stated nor to they follow the blaze orange rule, arrow/broached weight or who knows what else exactly as intended. Is it still illegal, yes, does that mean a person is unethical or a poacher, not really. In Illinois you must immediately tag an animal before moving it from the spot it expired. I know personally that's not always the first thing that crosses my mind when I walk up to a deer, I always have tags and licence with me it jus doesn't always happen. That's what the law states has to be done but should u feel guilty if u load it up and wait until its hung in shed b4 putting a tag on idk, its not following the law exactly nor would it be if u took a shot 5-10 mins before or after legal shooting time. I guess it all comes to what your comfortable with. I'm not sure if put in that situation if I could pass, I have b4 jus not on big buck, put in all reality that says a lot about your integrity and should be applauded.

ps sorry if seems like I was rambling ha

14. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!

15. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I have a question or 2 for you...This is legit.
    1. Did you think when you started this poll that 74.32% of bow hunters on this site wouldn't hesitate to take the shot?
    2. What did you think the percentage would be before you started the poll?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    1. Nope
    2. I hoped the opposite but figured it be split more 50/50.

17. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is this legal shooting light "sunrise" or what the state deems legal "Shooting Time"? In IL you are allowed to shoot 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset which the sunrise and sunset is what I consider legal light, maybe I am reading too much into the question? I said I would based on my perception of what the law states for me to be able to do, I have never had the opportunity like the scenario, but if you are talking about sunrise and sunset I am good lol, if not then I think my conscience would get the better of me and I would have to hold off no matter how tempting. I have had a 12 point monster in my backyard eating out of my fruit tree just after I came back inside from the evening hunt, could see him very easily due to porch lights, could have easily taken him and nobody would have been the wiser, but I just couldnt do it. PS sorry if this was brought up before I clicked the last button to take me straight to the last page of comments haha

18. nagyiii

nagyiii Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is gods way of testing us, I say you don't do it, you will be rewarded in the long term.

19. DeerSlayer_T3

DeerSlayer_T3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do I veiw a poll through tapatalk?

20. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if the results would have been the same if it was Yes/No only.

Yes - 74%
    No - 26%