Legal vs. Illegal "Would you shoot or not"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tynimiller, Nov 15, 2012.

?

15 minutes till legal light but you can see enough to shoot the HUGE buck...do you?

1. YES, I haven't but wouldn't hesitate.

91 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. YES, I have before and will if happens again.

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. NO, I have before and I felt terrible.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. NO, never have and never will.

38 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Again seriously with the lash of sarcastic comments. Childish.

Yup, it's a waste of time to respect the sport of chasing mature whitetails to the point I refuse to be a poacher...yeah you're right I'm such a girl...opinion is one thing, I can respect that and have in this whole discussion...but I find it hilarious when guys take it and go to calling names or sarcastically degrading others.

2. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No sarcasm intended. I meant you sound like my wife because she has OCD as well.

This seems to be a touchy subject for you. Do you think everyone should print off sunrise/sunset charts for each location they hunt?

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nope I merely like hearing people's opinions on this. I am touchy because I feel no need to compare me to a wife...or some of the other sarcastic remarks which have been posted or sent to me privately. If you didn't mean it that way I fully take back any and all of my response which was out of annoyance.

Do I feel people should follow the game laws set before them by their states as to when they can legally harvest a deer, yes. My reasoning is that by ignoring those laws and harvesting a buck illegally...could and more than likely is taking that buck, or doe for that matter, away from someone doing things right. *this is all of course unless you're seriously trying to feed your family and truly need a deer, my opinion then is shoot.

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey now. I'm not saying who's "right or wrong". I'm not the ethics police, but some guys gave there opinions and were jumped on. Now who wouldn't expect that from this topic. Lets not break our own rules, hey? Or is there a "gray area"?

Sincerely,
    Pot Stirrer

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the law is silly... in NY it is sunrise to sunset .....talk about stupid.... but just like the dates, it is the law

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    :) Vito thanks, I'll admit saying that was a joke was flirting with breaking my own rule. :) I was wondering if you'd chime in sometime bud.

7. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You probably feel like people are backing you into a corner and for that I'm sorry (especially if you are getting PMs about it). And I know I can come off a little sarcastic. I will try to work on that. Really I think "in general" I agree with you.

My answer to your poll would be.
    No, but I'm not counting down the seconds

Also, sorry about the wife comment. My brother-in-law is also a very organized person. That would be a better comparison since he's male..... Darn sarcasm!!!! I can't help it....I'll stop now

8. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now this guy is the king of sarcasm...:hail:

Unless you see that as an insult Vito...if so, please disregard post

9. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont get the comparison to speeding. You dont have your car and license taken away for going 5 MPH over the speed limit.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not staring at my watch to see the exact sun-up/down time before I reach for my bow and sling an arrow. Being off by a few minutes here or there is just part of the hunting game.

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    And you don't lose your guns, bows and hunting privileges for shooting a few minutes before or after legal shooting hours. Like speeding, you will get a fine. I know a few waterfowl hunters that have been pinched for shooting a few minutes after shooting hours.

12. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dude! We've been infiltrated! Kill the Spambot!!!

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    bringing it back up for guys who haven't voted

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I go out hunting I don't honestly know the time when legal shooting hours Is over or when It starts. I have an Idea but nothing to the exact minute. I never look at these charts. Could I? I suppose I could but It's not on the top of my priority list before I go out hunting. I've probably gotten off early and late equally when out hunting. I've passed on some nice bucks getting close to dark. One I know for sure was still legal shooting time. Where I was hunting It was real dense with big oaks so light dissapeared quicker. This buck was a mid 150's buck and he was at 10 yards feeding for at least 20 minutes after he showed up. To add to the drama of having him close this was the same buck I wounded 2 weeks prior to this. It was VERY hard not shooting him. His 20 Inch Inside spread white rack stuck out awesome but the crease In the leg wasn't as noticeable as I'd like. 10 to 1 says I could've drilled him good but I didn't want to screw up 2 shots on this buck, one was enough.

15. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do i shoot out of season vermin from stand? Yes.

Did i drink underage? Yes.

Do i speed? Yes.

Would i shoot? Most definitely.

Sue me.

16. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Poaching is not the word for it either. The deer is in season. Im using legal methods. I just didnt bring a watch.

17. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Intent of the law vs. letter of the law. Why is there a legal shooting time? Ours is 30 minutes prior to 30 minutes after daylight. I don't own a watch so if I can see color, I judge that I can shoot. I couldn't tell you what the exact minute of legal daylight is and it changes every day. With my low vision issues in bad light, I seriously doubt this will ever be a problem for me anyway.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Siman/OH I respect your honesty in first post and I honestly love the fact guys are being honest and not hee-hawing around the honesty...but I also believe in calling a spade a spade, if you shoot it is poaching. To some it may not be a degree of poaching which should get one in trouble but it's still poaching by definition. You said you speed, whether one mile per hour or twenty it is still speeding...you said you drank underage, whether a sip or entire keg it's still underage drinking. Right? :D

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit my dad doesn't have to follow the time nearly as much as me due to eyesight, but he still knows when it is because he believes he should.

20. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting conversation, I say I'd shoot only because I have never in my life looked at the time before drawing. Would it be legal? No. Would I ever know I broke the law? No. I don't look at the time immediately after shooting either I'm too busy watching the deers reaction and hopefully watching the deer crash. I respect the decision you made but don't ever see myself having to do the same. Just out of curiosity if you owned land in a state where you can not hunt on Sundays and your job requires you to work Monday through saturday, do you hunt on YOUR OWN property on Sunday or quit hunting altogether?