Legal vs. Illegal "Would you shoot or not"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tynimiller, Nov 15, 2012.

?

15 minutes till legal light but you can see enough to shoot the HUGE buck...do you?

1. YES, I haven't but wouldn't hesitate.

91 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. YES, I have before and will if happens again.

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. NO, I have before and I felt terrible.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. NO, never have and never will.

38 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My state has the 1/2 hour before and after sun rise/set. So with that limitation what time to you go off, if u watch the news or look at anything else everyday that changes. For instance this weekend the times would be 6:19, 6:20, and 6:23 for Friday thru Sunday on sunrise. So basically if u follow the law on Friday morning "legally" u can take a shot that u can't take on Sunday. So basically unless they clearly state a exact time unless u sit there and constantly look at your watch and know without a doubt your goin off the same times that a game warden is looking at you can basically have a 10-15 min gray period. I myself go with if I can clearly see my target and what's around it with the naked eye and feel comfortable that I can make a good clean kill shot then I would probably take it. But like someone else said you can say whatever you want until your presented with the situation, it falls on your judgment and what your comfortable with.

2. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry the times I used would be legal shooting light not sunrise. Shoulda re-read b4 posted

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A sportsmen will take ethical shots when provided with a legal and fair oppurtunity. Anything less is just selfish. Not to mention your ill gotten accomplishment is worth far less than those earned honestly. Don't forget we are out there for recreation not necessity. If the fit hit the shan and you needed that meat to feed your family obviously taking a deer by any means would be justified.

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What if your watch is 7 minutes off the Legal time? There isnt a whistle that signifies the start of the hunting day. We joke every morning of gun season when my cousin asks what time is legal shooting time that the DNR shoots off the first round every morning to let you know the days hunting is open.

5. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I look at my watch and hunt up to the last second, but as soon as its 1/2 hour after official sunset I'm done for the day. As for those that don't, we'll that's your choice.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that....

I am in denial that people break laws??? I'm ridiculous??? What are you reading???

I think you are delusional....

7. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My response was in reply to you saying you're "blown away" by some responses here (meaning you can't believe people would shoot outside of legal hours)

Far from delusional.

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wrong again ... read it without assuming...

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    guys I have a print out of sunrise sunset times for my two hunting locations. Within the same county but sometimes a minute off of each other. I choose to be this "anal" some would say, because it is the right thing to do. And I use my cell phone as my time clock as it is a lot more accurate than a human set watch. This so called "gray area" people are saying exists is a joke...

10. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks. I'm done.

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good....

12. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd hunt for the pure pleasure it brings me, the time with friends,relaxation and some times I even shoot a deer.
    And frankly after months of making pay roll,scheduling work loads and making deliveriess on time, I guess my priorities change when it comes to my recreation.
    I can't fathom a life style so free of demands that I would actually feel the need to take a watch to a tree stand.
    Then again I've wondered why a company has to put a big sign on ladders to tell people what clearly is not a step telling idiots that is not a step.
    I will try harder in the future. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so sorry I carry my phone with me at all times. Not only because it allows me to watch the time but it could be the difference of living or not if (I pray never happens) some tragic accident like falling from the stand should ever occur. I promise the wife I'll keep it on me at all times and unless the battery is dying it will remain on (however on vibrate)...call me misguided but that is just plain smart in my book.

14. John Galt

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a great idea, and great for piece of mind, sadly we have service from the top of a hill while standing in the bed of a truck.
    Don't get me wrong,your ethics about time tables works for you and many others, I just simply find it silly in the big picture.

Here in PA the simple fact that you had an arrow knocked before legal shooting time means you were breaking the law.
    And I noticed that you never said you knocked an arrow, but I find it highly unlikely that you hooked your release on a string without an arrow present.
    To each their own, and I'm sure you asked knowing that we would not all agree on this issue.
    Good luck on seeing him in legal hours and post us some pics.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I did know everyone wouldn't agree but you're sarcastic approach is less than becoming. I mean serious what is the comment of having an arrow knocked supposed to accomplish? Isn't illegal here...now if PA you're right I wouldn't knock an arrow till I legally should....call me crazy or whatever but drop the whole sarcastic approach, just makes you look childish.

16. John Galt

Dislikes Received:
    The point was how silly some of these laws are, by simply having an arrow on the string of a bow means we are hunting according to our law. I used it as another example of the foolishness of time tables .You had to pass up a shot of a life time because some one some where decieded you were unable to make that decision for yourself.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand that..trust me I do. I for one find the fact in Indiana minerals are illegal just the same as bait is ridiculous. Do I follow it yes, which means our one mineral lick is dug up, fresh dirt put down and then covered every year before the season to remain within the legal parameters set before us. Again I guess just a difference approach to the same sport...in my eyes I'm taking the rightful harvest of someone else doing things right if I do things not right, no matter what is defined as right.

18. John Galt

Dislikes Received:
    And I wish you the best of luck in your future encounters .
    Happy hunting!

19. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    How is it a joke? I can look at three different things on my phone that have three different times for sun rise/set all within 5 minutes of each other. So jus bc u go off wat your phone says doesn't mean anything, If your counting down to the seconds or even mins nobody is gonna be exactly right depending on what they're goin off of, including the officer writing the citation. Maybe there's not a "gray area" but its ridiculous to think there's not any variation of the exact min that its legal to harvest animal, by the very least 2 to 3 mins.

20. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a waste of time....and paper. You sound like my wife. She's always printing stuff off.

I wouldn't shoot before legal shooting time. But I don't count down to legal shooting time either or ever really look at the clock on my phone for that reason. I just know..."yep, 'bout that time"