Late Season in Public Land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hunter Bob, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first season hunting an archery only piece of public land that is 10 minutes away from my house. In the early season I saw deer somewhat often, but this completely changed once the rut hit. Now after hunting pressure and the end of the rut (along with trees being bare of leaves) I am at a loss for where the deer have gone. Planning to do some scouting today to see if I can find any fresh sign but wanted to see if any of you have some advice for late season scouting. Season here goes all the way to the end of January and I am still looking to fill a tag.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year the hunting pressure on public land dwindles. You must find the food at all costs, even if that food is off the public land boundaries. If it is, get as close to the deer beds as you safely can and try to cut them off as they leave their beds in the afternoon. It is almost like clockwork this time of the year. About 20 to 30 minutes before sundown the deer start dropping off the hillsides and heading toward the food. I am not saying I am seeing them every sit, but if I find the food and backtrack to the beds I feel very confident in getting in range of deer this time of year.

You have a map of the place you hunt?

3. Hunter Bob

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "coming off the hillsides?" I do think that there are less hunters out in this cold weather, but I am having a hard time finding the deer on trail cams or when I am sitting in a stand. They are definitely patterning different than in early season. Do you find that they change bedding areas this time of year?

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They will bed on the downwind side of a hill. Then about 30 to 60 min before sundown they will start moving from high ground to lower ground where I hunt.

I try to stay between their beds and where I think they will be feeding. They will change their bedding based on the food. We don't have a lot of good around here so they are mainly eating on grass fields.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. Hunter Bob

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, that helps, haven't thought much about the hillsides but it makes sense. Got a couple of extra trail cams as an early Christmas present and hoping to put them to good use. I am assuming your strategy for the morning is similar, as in getting close to the bedding areas?

6. CDunc

CDunc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I second getting in close to beds. The closer the better.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Between the bedding area and the food source is definitely the key BUT don't blow them out by getting to close to the bedding area or setting up in a close position that you let them know that you are there when you get to your stand. A good climbing stand and hunting a spot only once and then hunting a different spot would be my approach.

8. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watch the weather. A cold front or snow storm will get them moving the evening before it arrives.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk