Insert flew out while shooting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Mar 28, 2017.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is my #1 arrow
    While shooting on sunday at a 3d deer target i saw the leaves behind the target move after arrow hit target.

Found this.

I cant see any visible cracks in the arrow, how can i verify this arrow is still safe?

Attached Files:

2. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glue probably just did not set up well, the insert looks crazy clean! Put it back in and shoot it, I've had it happen a phew times

Friends don't let friends hunt with Guns!
    (That includes cross bows)

santiago0072002 likes this.
  3. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing has happened here, but using a brass insert so it's understandable why.

4. dukester78

dukester78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glue wasn't set arrow looks safe when you glue it back in let it cure 24/48 hours

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Happens occasionally when you have a little more weight up front. But you said it was your number one arrow, you only have one that flies well?

6. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been shooting this arrow since before this past deer season, infact this is the arrow i shot my deer with this year.

Im doubting it was a glue not set thing because these sat for 3 or 4 days before being shot when those inserts were put in. Arrow has hundreds of shots on it at this point

Its not some big deal, ill just glue it back it. Im sure some of you guys have a certain arrow and while im not superstitious, dont mess with my #1 arrow, my gloves, the snickers in my hunting pack or pocket knife i carry while hunting even though i dont use it...

7. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd recommend loctite

8. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it is brass, you may want to scuff it up a bit and maybe use an appropriate sized bore brush inside your arrow shaft as well. Then clean with isopropyl or denature alcohol before gluing.

9. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I built some arrows about a month and a half ago and was too giddy and didn't let the glue set up long enough. I had my target set up and my safety backstop about 6-8' behind the target was a solid brick wall. I shot the arrow into the foam target and the arrow penetrated out the back 2-3" and right after impact I hear a loud pop like sound.

I put my bow down and walked to the target expecting something bad and looked at the back of the target and an arrow was sticking thru with no field tip. I guess when the arrow stopped suddenly, there was enough inertia that the insert kept going and it hit the brick wall. I actually found the FT in the grass. LOL!

At first I thought I accidentally pulled and shot an arrow with no tip. These were my 3D arrows and only weighed 392g so you take 100g off for the FT and a 292g arrow was a bit under 5gpp. But all was well.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    momentum of weighted inserts need greater glue area to hold them. longer inserts would help plus adding glue to the weights so they also grip the shaft

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The glue was probably set but depending on several factors the adhesion might not have been great. Dust and very smooth components can cause that. I would clean it up, rough up the inside of the arrow, clean it and then re-glue the insert. Sometimes a hard hit will break the glue loose so it happens. Long as the arrow is not cracked you will be good.