Increase Poundage

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by doublea17, Jan 30, 2017.

1. doublea17

doublea17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry if this has been asked. I'm new to all this and if this has been asked before please send me in right direction been trying to look this up but not sure if wording it right.

If I increase the draw weight on my bow 5 to 10 pounds do i need to sight in my bow again. Does the increase in DW effect my sights/yardage, shoot higher/lower or is it the same but just gets there faster.

Thanks
    Doublea17

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely you will need to resight the bow. Wont be a big adjustment at 20 yards but will be significant at 40.

Make sure you don't need different spined arrows for the change of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  3. RGV Hunter

RGV Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitly check your arrows and make sure your arrows are still spined correctly for the weight you are drawing. Like remmett70 says, you will need to resight the pins.

4. doublea17

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help. Increased DW yesterday, just need to get to range and rest pins.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I recommend making a few small incremental increases instead of one large one it will help you to maintain good form and avoid developing bad shooting habits

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. doublea17

Dislikes Received:
    One more question on increase DW when it says 2-4pounds per limb per turn so if I turn each limb one full turn it is a 4 to 8 pound increase. So if I'm shooting at 50 I just went up to 54-58pounds correct.

7. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds about right. Like BB4tw stated, increase a little at a time and make sure you can still keep the form. How much you draw is not an issue as long as you can handle it comfortably. I draw #80 on one of my bows and don't have any problems. Just go with what you are comfortable with.

8. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Once you are comfortable with the weight, then I would worry about sighting in. Just shoot up close so you will not lose your arrows in case you don't have a backstop. These are my two cents but maybe someone will help you out otherwise.

9. doublea17

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks RVG for the input. I was really comfortable at 50 so will see what this increase will feel like. I think I will be staying at this DW if it feels comfortable. I have had two surgeries on my right shoulder so I will probably max out at 58-60ish +/- a pound.

10. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    That will work. I have several buddies that hunt with #60 and they get pass throughs on their kills. Your arrow set up will determine that. I would recommend at least 400 grain set up on your arrow to start with. The total arrow weight is subject to a broad opinion and what you will be hunting.

11. doublea17

Dislikes Received:
    RGV as you figured out I'm new to this so is that 400 grain you mention is that the total weight of arrow or is that spine talk I'm getting so confused.

12. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    That would be the total weight. You can go up or down on the weight. It depends what you are using it for and how your arrows are grouping. For spine I would use a 350 spine arrow if you are going to be drawing#60.

I don't get too technical on a lot of the details when it comes to front of Center (FOC) but there may be others here that could steer you in a more technical direction but then again if you are new to this then I would stick to the basics and learn that. Afterwards I would look into getting more technical about bows.

13. doublea17

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks RVG, I'm trying to just stay with the K.I.S.S method. Have a hard enough time just getting the arrows that I have now to get in a tight group to worry about spine and all that other talk.

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always turn both limbs equal amounts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're not sure if they are the same, turn them both all the way in and then back them off the same amount of turns. On most bows one full turn is 3 - 4 pounds of draw weight.

Having a torn rotator cuff and a torn labrum, I shoot a 60 pound bow that is currently set at 57 pounds.

early in likes this.
  15. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:

This is good advise. Its happened to me that I forget how many turns I turned one limb so I just crank them down again and start over counting the turns.

16. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know we have not talked in a while but how are your shooting groups coming along?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. doublea17

Dislikes Received:
    RGV Hunter my groups are getting better thanks for asking not X shooter yet but keeping it in the circle from 30 yards in. 30 yards is max for me. I see your from Texas is RGV for Rio Grande Valley if so I was born in the Valley.

18. RGV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was not born in the RGV but have been here for over 23 years now so I guess I am from here now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk