Illinois gun owners

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cls74, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think today it went through the house, tomorrow it's through the senate. Or it may have been committeed today and Sentae tomorrow and then to the House? This literally has happened over the couse of the holiday filled past week and will be rushed through

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is a quote from an article from above mentioned news paper

The Illinois Senate returns to the Capitol on Wednesday to begin a weeklong legislative session that could take up pension reform, legalizing gay marriage and banning assault rifles.

The 97th General Assembly will finish its work Jan. 9 when a new Legislature is sworn in. That means there are many lame-duck lawmakers not returning who might feel less constrained to vote for contentious issues. The House comes in Sunday.

and this ended it up

A ban on military-style assault weapons is on the agenda after the Connecticut school massacre.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Their top story is the gay marriage recognition hit a snag, nothing to let it's constituents know their constitutional rights are about to change. That's just gay, pun intended

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think it's funny this all comes from what happens up in Chicago. What was it like a little over 500 homicides in 2012?T me that's not a problem with gun control there's other things wrong goin on. My foid card expires here end of January don't sound like there's any reason to renew it if this goes through, I'll probably end up with illegal firearms anyway ha.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's outrageous, this should go for all levels of government nationwide. if you have an agenda and want to put it up for vote or vote on it it should be done before the elections. Once you are voted out or retiring you should tie up any loose ends on already passed agendas and pack your bags.

Could you imagine working for an employer who has ran the company for 45 years and decides to retire. Right before he retires he changes all company policies and reduces any benefits during his last week knowing he wouldn't have to deal with the revolt. It's travesty at it's finest. It shouldn't be allowed to happen regardless of the situation, it's not that hard of a concept to install. Elections are in november, file your agenda and face the vote for that agenda or it dies. You have a month and a half of holidays and closed sessions to pack your **** and move on.

Disgruntled employees are the cause of a lot of mass chaos, why is the government omitted from this(excluding the postal service :lol: ) ?

6. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    read it wrong..
    it passed comittee and now will go to vote

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I no longer own guns, I just got back from the Illinois river to where I dropped them off the side of a bridge. It was kind of funny, I forgot the river was as low as it is and the .22 rifle I dropped over actually stuck barrel up in the shallow muck. Luckily I tossed them over unloaded as it could have accidentally discharged. I hated to give them up and I'm going to miss my guns, but I can only hope that the government can understand that I chose to ween myself of the problem.

I'll never understand why I had to give them up, but I'm sure they will understand I never wanted my own guns to become a weapon of the government to be used against me.

9. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let me now if any of you Illinoians want me to store your weapons for you. I'll give you my address and you can send all the banned ones to me for safe keeping. :moose:

I think I see a new business venture in my future!! I might have to order a bigger safe.

10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Great offer but I'll be moving across the river if this all goes through. Got family near St. Louis and a friend closer that has offered a job and place to stay.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, you'll have to dredge the river for mine. They're right off that one bridge that crosses the river from this side to that side, it's between two banks and has some water below it. Can't miss it, even has a small barrel sticking out where they are, looks similar to a small tree branch, so don't give up on the first twig. Oh, and i also wrapped them in a roll of duct tape apiece, hate to see someone scavenging with a magnet to find them..

Good luck, and they're right where I told ya

12. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking that jumping across the river doesn't too bad. I work in St. Louis anyways...

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha yea I think there'd be a surprising amount of people that would. Its only 20 miles for me so wouldn't effect much really

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know why i even try to talk to my friends my age about things like this i try to explain whats going and how its wrong and all i get is "guns are bad anyways" "it doesnt bother me any" and the "who cares" I am basically talking to awhile when this and hunting comes up. They just dont get it and it ticks me off. And if i try to to tell them the reason they are wrong they come back with stupid answers on why its "okay" but im done with these topics and them

Sorry for the long post i had to vent a little because it ticks me off :mad:

Sent from my HTC Hero S

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  15. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if Wisconsin would pass something like this, 90% of the hunters would be considered felons !

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the latest NRA email I received breaks things down a bit. Goes up at 11am

Illinois: Gun and Magazine Ban and Registration Schemes Pass in Senate Public Health Committee Tonight
    If you own a semi-automatic firearm or detachable magazine, they may be banned, taxed, and registered and you could easily become a felon unless you act NOW

Anti-gun legislators led by Senate President John Cullerton and backed by Governor Patrick Quinn (D) substituted and passed sweeping draconian gun and magazine bans in the Senate Public Health Committee today. House Bill 1263, amended to include a ban on many commonly owned firearms passed in this committee by a 6 to 4 vote. House Bill 815, which was amended to include a magazine ban and shooting range restrictions, passed by a 6 to 3 vote. Additionally, amendments have been filed to remove the hunting exception and could be introduced and considered on the Senate floor tomorrow. These actions prove once again that Chicago politicians seem more focused on creating new classes of criminals out of law-abiding citizens than dealing effectively with their current violent crime problems.

New amendments have been introduced which add some specifics to the time limits for registration of previously owned firearms and magazines, and set the fees to register firearms and magazines. These amendments will be heard in the Executive Committee tomorrow morning at 11am. Both bills are expected to be heard on the floor of the Senate tomorrow afternoon for their third and final vote, and this is where the real fight will take place to maintain your Second Amendment rights and defeat Senate President Cullerton's anti-gun agenda. It is imperative that you contact your state Senator IMMEDIATELY to express your opposition to House Bills 815 and 1263 and any additional anti-gun amendments.

Among other things, House Bill 815 would:

- Prohibit anyone without a FOID card from using a commercial shooting range, which in many cases would make it impossible to introduce new shooters to the safe and responsible use of firearms.

- Grant the State Police broad discretion to impose design, construction and operation standards that could shut down most commercial shooting ranges.

- Ban possession of magazines and other feeding devices that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. A "grandfather clause" would require registration by owners of such devices and give the State Police discretion to impose and charge fees. Registration would require "proof of ownership" that could be impossible for most people to provide, and even registered owners could not transfer magazines within Illinois, except to an heir or a licensed dealer. Transfers of "grandfathered magazines" would have to be reported to the ISP.

- Violations of this magazine ban would be a felony. Failure to report theft or loss of a magazine would be a misdemeanor until the third violation, which would be a felony.

House Bill 1263 would:

- Ban, at a minimum, all detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Remington 7400 deer rifles, Ruger 10/22 squirrel guns, Glocks, 1911s, etc. This ban would include about 80% of handguns now sold in the U.S.

- Possibly ban all semi-automatic rifles and even revolvers or single-shot pistols with the capacity to accept muzzle brakes or compensators.

- Ban "assault weapon attachments," so possession of a thumbhole stock, a pistol grip,or a fore-end (a "shroud" that "partially or completely encircles the barrel") would be a crime even if you didn't possess a firearm.

- Ban all .50 BMG rifles.

- Contains "grandfather" provisions that would require registration by owners of devices and give the State Police discretion to impose and charge fees. Registration would require "proof of ownership."

- Create felony penalties for violation of this ban on guns or attachments.

- Create lost and Stolen penalties that would criminalize victims of gun theft.

Anti-gun politicians are attempting to sacrifice your constitutional rights as a scapegoat for the criminal acts of violence in Chicago by gangs and drug dealers. Don't let them succeed in banning your firearms or magazines as an excuse for stopping criminals from misusing them. Criminals -- by definition -- violate laws, especially gun control laws, including often: murder, rape, robbery, drug-dealing, gang violence, firearm theft, carrying concealed firearms without a license/permit, federal gun-free school zones. They do not obey gun bans, register their firearms, or get subjected to any gun control schemes (like the lone state ban on carrying concealed firearms for self-defense) that only affect and penalize law-abiding citizens like you. Your telephone calls TODAY will determine the outcome of this very serious assault on your Second Amendment rights.

The NRA-ILA will continue to send legislative updates as details become available. However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop this gun and magazine ban. Call your state Senator IMMEDIATELY and express your opposition to banning firearms or magazines and urge them to vote against House Bills 815 and 1263.

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the way probably almost all ant- gun or people that don't have an opinion. They don't know and don't want to know and only believe what's on news/internet or whatever. Its pretty read anymore that jus because you own a firearm anymore you some kinda crazy unstable person that wants to get in a gunfight everyday and sits around playing video games doin jus that.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone going to be listening in on the reading? Supposed to start at 11 but not sure how long before they get to it. Doubt I can get a mobile audio for my phone

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I actually am able to get audio from my phone. Power outage here at work so I may be able to listen. Now to make sure I have the right feed

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully this is a good thing??!!! Did he back out?

1/3/2013 Senate Sponsor Removed Sen. John J. Millner