Illinois gun owners

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cls74, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also, our next theoretical date of hope is July 16(next Tuesday). Within a half hour of HB183 becoming public act Lisa Madigan filed a petition to have the Sheppard vs Madigan case thrown out as moot since IL supposedly met the requirements sought. Sheppard and the ISRA have responded with an objection stating that her and ISRA members rights are still being infringed each day not only for the 7 months since the 7th circuits ruling, but now for another 9 months as IL has implemented their own extension within the law itself and ISP has stated on the link Christine posted above the Conceal Carry ban will still be enforced until permits are issued.

They are asking the court to impose FOID carry, under HB183 guidelines and restrictions, until ISP is issuing permits. They filed for an expedited decision no later than 7/16/13.

Will be interesting to see how this goes

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Non res is $300 and looks to be same training requirements as resident both 1st issu and renewal

Fees

Section 60. Fees.
    (a) All fees collected under this Act shall be deposited as
    provided in this Section. Application, renewal, and
    replacement fees shall be non-refundable.
    (b) An applicant for a new license or a renewal shall
    submit $150 with the application, of which $120 shall be
    apportioned to the State Police Firearm Services Fund, $20
    shall be apportioned to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and
    $10 shall be apportioned to the State Crime Laboratory Fund.
    (c) A non-resident applicant for a new license or renewal
    shall submit $300 with the application, of which $250 shall be
    apportioned to the State Police Firearm Services Fund, $40
    shall be apportioned to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and
    $10 shall be apportioned to the State Crime Laboratory Fund.
    (d) A licensee requesting a new license in accordance with
    Section 55 shall submit $75, of which $60 shall be apportioned
    to the State Police Firearm Services Fund, $5 shall be
    apportioned to the Mental Health Reporting Fund, and $10 shall
    be apportioned to the State Crime Laboratory Fund.

Renewal

Section 50. License renewal.
    Applications for renewal of a license shall be made to the
    Department. A license shall be renewed for a period of 5 years
    upon receipt of a completed renewal application, completion of
    3 hours of training required under Section 75 of this Section,
    payment of the applicable renewal fee, and completion of an
    investigation under Section 35 of this Act. The renewal
    application shall contain the information required in Section
    30 of this Act, except that the applicant need not resubmit a
    full set of fingerprints.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I'm wrong and it got changed but on our local news this morning they said the local police wanted to put in a reminder that jus because its passed and it'll be legal to carry when stoppd by a cop they will still be able to arrest you if they you don't tell them right away your carrying. Doesn't the law say only if they ask you you haveta tell them. Tried looking in the bill but couldn't find it. If that's still the case I'm gonna giess stuff like this will happen alt at first because people womt know what the actual law states.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The law is duty to inform only when asked during an investigative stop, it's not like OH and the must inform immediately. Even Quinn's "trailer bill" didn't change that(didn't pass anyhow) it just added the word "immediately" after being asked.

I watched the senate committee hearing on it last night when I got home from work. During it, the ISP supporter of the DTI wording of immediately said it was wanted because sometimes they have to play the name game during stops. People forget who they are and where they live. Really didn't understand how that correlated with the text of the bill, but whatever. But, he also mentioned that during the ISP new training preparing for concealed carry that the troopers are being taught to automatically ask, "may I see your license and registration, and are you concealed carrying any weapons today?". I'd assume that will be commonplace among all LEO agencies in the coming months.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone in the know care to explain to me what happened in Chicago today? An assault weapon ban, is this a city or cook county thing? How are they defining assault weapon? Was there a magazine restriction on this?

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All of Cook Co already had a ban and a limit to 10 round mag capacity
    DIVISION 4. BLAIR HOLT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

I believe Chicago beefed up their ban to include 150 specific weapons, including any shotgun with a revolving cylinder and any semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.
    All suburbs have until the 20th, to make their own laws regarding aw's, but so far has been only a handful.

7. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for clarifying. To clarify - All weapons with capacity to hold more than 10 round mags aren't allowed to be owned, bought, or transported through Cook County? What if I had a 15 round mag in my Glock 19 and got a CCW? I have to carry 10 or less if I'm going to Cook County?

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aren't you thrilled to be moving to Chitcagoland? Per the law on the books... if you get caught with a 15 round magazine in Cook County you could be charged with a felony. Even if you were just passing through. (even a 10/22 rimfire is considered an assault weapon in Chicago)

However, Cook County has not enforced this law in the last several years. Doesn't that make you feel better?? (ha ha)

Avoid the checkpoints. ;)

9. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Note that pistols/rifles with 'fixed magazines' are different from guns that take 'detachable' magazines. I doubt you have a fixed magazine pistol. :)

So my Beretta 92F is legal. The 15 round magazine with it, is not.

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Is the Cabelas store in Hoffman Estates technically Cook County? How the hell are they selling all the glocks and M&P's, etc that I see in there?

11. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it's in Cook. (idiots for building there) Are they selling the neutered capacity mags or the standard (10+) capacity magazines with the guns?

Like I mentioned, a semi-auto pistol with a detachable magazine is not automatically illegal... And they're not currently enforcing the law anyhow.

12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see some companies/stores are offering pre-registration for classes. Is anybody signing up yet? A local gun shop is charging $300 for the class with a $50 deposit.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ISP hasn't released anything yet, while some of these places may very well be approved to be instructors when they do, the list won't be released until probably Sep. 7th.

As for pricing that seems awful high. A lot of the trainers on Illinoiscarry.com are talking about trying to keep the training nearer $100-150 for the full 16 hours. A bit cheaper if you already have credit for up to 8 hours from approved prior training.

Not knowing the specifics of your local place, if that $300 includes the application and fingerprinting fee it's not a bad deal. I would also hope that the $50 deposit has a refund clause in the event they are not on the initial ISP trainers list.

14. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'd definitely be careful putting too much money down on anything yet. Until the ISP approves everything some of those classes might not even count. Like cls said you can find a lot of people on Illinois carry that arent gonna charge much more than 150 if they get approved. I had some buddies try to do a class already and they called and quizzes the place before goin and all they said is they were hoping to be one of the approved places and if not then maybe the class would count toward some of the training. To me that's kind of a gamble, especially if they charge very much. It'll be interesting to see what happens but hopefully they come up with something sooner than later. This is Illinois tho and they're not all that quick about anything.

Illinois carry is a pretty good resource tho if you haven't checked it out before. If anything I'd be trying to get some of the already approved stuff done that will count toward some training time, the hunters safety course would be the easiest probably and don't think it cost much if anything.

15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
  16. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the Liberal Counties are getting on board:)