I need help with tuning!!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by thomas1213, Jul 21, 2017.

1. thomas1213

thomas1213 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need help here's the deal went to my bow shop and had my bow paper tuned. Came home and shot light out at 20 and 30 yards, but 40 and 50 yards sucked prob 8-10 in group. Did some reading and did a French tune on it at 3 yards and 9 yards now it's shooting like crap not grouping at all at any yards please help. It's a Matthews creed by the way.

2. kennys40acres

kennys40acres Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Appears you're getting ready for an elk or antelope hunt out west (shooting 40-50 yards)? I'm guessing nobody else has responded to your request because you went for professional help with your bow (smart) then promptly went home and un-did their work(doing your own French tune). You don't "tune" a bow to 40-50 yards...You practice. I'm not saying this to be harsh, Thomas. There are many guys looking for advice here...Some sound like they don't know anything yet, some admit they don't, some know everything but want other opinions. I don't like when bowhunters ask for help & nobody answers...Even if the answer isn't something you want to tell your new friend.

JGD likes this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Always mark everything, that way if you move it and it doesn't work, you can go back. If all you moved was the rest, it ought to be fairly simple to get back to where your bow shop had it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    kennys40acres and Shocker99 like this.
  4. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly don't know enough to list out everything that would make a bow untune at 40-50 compared to being tuned well at 20 and 30, maybe your arrows aren't the correct spine?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My advice is take it back to the shop with your tail between your legs and tell them what you did. They see it all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

kennys40acres and rknierim like this.
  6. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    do you have a drop rest? if so this timing of the drop might be off

7. thomas1213

Dislikes Received:

I understand what you are saying but how do u go from a 4 arrow group in a snuff can at 30 to a 4 arrow group in a plate at 40 yards that was before the French tune

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Kennys40acres. If the shop tuned the bow and you were shooting great at 20 and 30, practice at the longer distances is critical. I'm shooting the "snuff can" groups at 30 yards but at 40 they're bigger. I'll have it dialed in by September for sure but for now it's all about the practice. I know my bow is dialed in at 60 yards but I'm not. A little wiggle at 40 or 50 yards looks huge on the target. Good luck to you.

kennys40acres and thomas1213 like this.
  9. thomas1213

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of you and Monday morning I'll be back at my bow shop getting my balls busted but it cool cause we have a great pro shop here

10. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the farther away you shoot the bigger the groups became.
    now at 40 yds and farther you're form comes into play big time.

11. kennys40acres

kennys40acres Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thomas, the tune is the fraction of time the bow & arrow interact during the release of energy. The fact you had snuff can groups at 30 yds is testament to the quality equipment you're shooting. Once your arrow leaves the string of the bow, it is completely separate & no longer influenced by your Mathews Creed. If you shoot heavy arrows, you may carry more of the energy & shoot more accurate groups farther & they don't float around as much as lighter arrows. In the end, it's you holding steady form consistently. Don't be ashamed...We all do something like it & get to laugh about it later! Have fun shooting.