I need help with tuning!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by thomas1213, Jul 21, 2017.

1. thomas1213

thomas1213 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need help here's the deal went to my bow shop and had my bow paper tuned. Came home and shot light out at 20 and 30 yards, but 40 and 50 yards sucked prob 8-10 in group. Did some reading and did a French tune on it at 3 yards and 9 yards now it's shooting like crap not grouping at all at any yards please help. It's a Matthews creed by the way.

2. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may be getting tired from too much shooting and getting false results. Whenever my shooting goes to crap, I put the bow up for a day or two and then come back to it. French tuning works well for me. Let it sit until this heat wave breaks and try it again. Make 1 change at a time. And remember....make 1 change at a time. Good luck!

3. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree with ky72. Check out thread ( form or setup). After installing my new rest, I was grouping good out to 30 yards, but consistently further right out to 60 yards. Walk back or French tune worked well for me. I made myself a rule: I do not make any adjustments after about 40 or so shots. I can see a big difference in my accuracy when I start getting tired. When you think about the simple trigonometry 1/2" off up or down or right or left at 20 yards may be 8" off at 60 yards. I also had to tell myself have fun and stop pounding arrow after arrow. Stop and BS with your buddy's on the range in between arrows. IMO this gives your muscles and mind time to recover when you are fatigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

smitty88 and thomas1213 like this.
  4. dukester78

dukester78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with ky72 when my shots start going south I call it a day, sure this heat wave don't help things.

thomas1213 likes this.
  5. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Highlighted for truth! I was BH tuning a couple weeks ago and off the bat the BH was high right of my FT. I always do windage first because a lot of times when they come together they do horizontally and vertically as well. If I would have adjust the BH down and left at the same time I could've been chasing it forever.

Also write down or mark your starting point so if all else fails you can go back to something familiar and start over.

6. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do most of my tuning over the course of a week because of fatigue and knowing I want to only base my adjustments when I wasn't tired and know I made good shots. I actually went and got myself a 32" long target stabilizer to really help dial in my bow to hold steady.

I do the modified french tune or walk back tune. I hang a string with something heavy on the bottom and at 3-5 yards I'll try to hit that string or consistently get it so the arrow is touching that string. (all adjustments are done with the site)

Then I move back to about 10 yards and shoot at the same string or dot on the string. Any adjustments will now be with my rest in very small amounts until I'm hitting that same spot or being just as consistent. Typically i'll do this over a 2-3 days as I want it to be consistent and no fatigue.

Then I'll move back up to the 3-5 yards and do the same thing as step 1 and adjust my sight. Now you know your rest and arrows are good out to that distance or atleast very close.

Then i'll change it up and do more of a walk back tune and hang the string and put a dot on the top of the string or vertical line. Shoot at 10, 20, 30, 40 and if my arrows are drifting one way or another I know I still need to make a very small rest adjustment. If I do make a rest adjustment you now should move back up and adjust your site to compensate for that rest change.

Once all complete then I can sight in and get my sight dialed in now that the rest is pretty close to perfect.

Hope this helps as doing this for my last 2 bows really helped eliminate a lot of headaches that I use to have in the past. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need help i'll try to help the best I can.

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I think a lot of people try to do all this in 1 shooting session and they dont get the results they want because of fatigue. Space it out over a few days and 1 small change at a time will yield much better results.

8. santiago0072002

santiago0072002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I make sure my rest and nock are where they are supposed to be. After that I go to broadhead tuning. I won't paper tune, that's just me what matters is your broad heads for me and where they are hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, I always just do a walk back tune after any changes. It can take a lot of shots this way. Just take your time, don't be afraid to do it over a few days. A good finished tune will be worth the wait. Good luck!

kurveball18 likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My initial thoughts with reading your post were that the problem is more likely with your shot and shooting form than your bow. If you're dead nuts at 20 and 30 the bow sounds like it's shooting good. At longer distances if you're not grouping together in one direction or another chances are you're just not executing properly. At least that's typically the case when I start seeing my groups open up down range. Fatigue can definitely be an issue as others have mentioned, but let's not overlook the fact that stacking arrows at 40 and 50 yards isn't an easy task. Plenty of folks like to talk a big game online, but I've shot with a lot of good shooters over the years who aren't stacking at long range. Just some food for thought.

CToutdoorsman and kurveball18 like this.
  11. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im going to say you may have a form issue or punching the trigger but just my two cents here. i typically dont make any adjustments unless things stay the same for 2 days if im shooting right one day and then left the next there is no reason to change my bow because its obvious that its my fault but in most peoples case they shoot all day and then they stop getting good groups and try to adjust to there broken down form and there fatigue and then the next time they shoot they dont have that break down in there form and they arent tired so they shoot bad from there on i always take pictures of where all my sight and rest are set at so that if i do adjust and it gets worse i can always start over and try again.