"I dont shoot a crossbow because I'm a man" <----these guys

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by jacob, May 15, 2014.

1. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is still challenges shooting either compound or crossbow. You have to play the wind right and do your scouting. I use both and have no shame in it. My uncle which is strictly a compound hunter razes me ever year when he see's me out with my crossbow but i always bring out more deer than him not because the crossbow is easier to shoot but i put in my time with plots and trail cams and scouting each year.

2. wesb81219

wesb81219 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've only been hunting for a couple of years and last season was my first deer hunting. I can definitely say it doesn't matter what you use if your not putting in the work I learned that fast. I also got an invader and love it. I shoot about 3 times a week at different distances from 10 to 40 yds. Forget what anyone else says. Do your homework practice shooting and enjoy being in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

3. TD Bauer

TD Bauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently made the switch to a crossbow last year. Been having fun with it. I still shoot my compound once in a while, and this year I may buy a tag for both the compound and crossbow (which the WI DNR requires you to do depending on what you hunt with). More deer hunting for me that way, more ven in the freezer.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  4. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow was a recurve, and I can count 5 compound bows over a span of 35 years of bowhunting. Just his year I have purchased a crossbow. The pursuit is the driving force. Respect for the game is paramount. I don't worry about what other people legally use.

5. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I agree...

Hunting with a crossbow is another way to get someone involved in the sport. I for one, am much more excited about bowhunting after my success with a crossbow. All the "Skills" required to be a good bowhunter... scouting, being scent free, etc. are all needed until the shot. Now, I will graduate to a :"big boy" bow next season.

6. crossbowhunter

crossbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    These types of people make me laugh, think it's a bit of small penis syndrome.

7. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My view is
    Is it your land? Then I don't care what you do

Is it my land? Now I care what you do, and since I don't own my own land, I don't care what you do

8. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I'm not sure you've shot a lot of crossbows, they are not easy to yield, are heavy and impossible for a second shot if needed.
    They do have some advantages yes, but its much easier for me to shoot my bow within 30 yards than my father in laws crossbow.

9. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Each of us should use what we like and are competent with. Have fun, hunt ethically in terms of shot selection, and good luck in the woods!

10. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a compound but I have no problem with guys shooting cross bows. If you can shoot better with a cross bow than a compound then go for it. I would rather someone make a kill shot with a crossbow than a gut shot with a compound

11. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen!

12. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Why do compound bow hunters give crossbow hunters a hard time I believe is the question and the answer is simple. Crossbows are the archery easy button, and man code says if you take a short cut I get to give you a hard time. Same thing if I drive a 4x4 and you drive a Prius. Or if I hunt with a flintlock and you hunt with a scoped inline magnum muzzleloader.
    Of course that said if I run into a guy shooting a recurve then he gets to give me a hard time. ;)

13. EDinRI

EDinRI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ya know after 30 years of being a "vertical bow only guy, crossbows were for the disabled and not sporting" I've com to realize that whatever gets you in to the woods works. I haven't pulled my bow back since August because of a herniated disk. I just bought a crossbow so I can get out into the woods and hunt this year. Will I go back to the compound? Sure...if I can I will. If not I will stay with the x-bow, whatever works for you to get outside. We're all hunters, trappers, fisherman...all on the same team.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stand for as long as I possibly can when hunting with my compound. I left the gun rest on my ladder stand to conceal at least half of me. I have been caught sitting down with my bow laying on the rifle rest, however, after two hours of standing statue still. Numb feet, aching back.

A doe came from behind me and then came into sight on my left. I just watched her come in, counted the number of times she stopped and I could've shot if I'd been ready, and then watched her look up at me and bound off safely. That's bowhunting! And that's the handicap I've chosen to pursue deer with. My choice.

A crossbow hunter could've shot that doe. I'm not griping or begrudging someone who uses that kind of bow. But I do think not having to draw and being able to use a rifle rest is a distinct advantage.

I choose to hunt with a disadvantage. If someone legally chooses a xbow advantage, I'm fine with that. I will still gun hunt when I want to and I do not care who thinks that's a crutch. But this year I've just been enjoying the challenge of a disadvantage.

It doesn't make you less of a man to use a crossbow. It's just different than a trad or wheelie bow. It most definitely is.

If it makes you less of a man, I will need a platoon to convince my great big gorilla of a brother in law he's not a man. 20" arms, head bigger than a house cat. He could squash me like a grape between his fingers. LOL.

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to not have a problem with crossbows, and by and large I still don't.
    I do have a problem with some of the people that tend to use them.
    I'm sure it's not people that would be on this forum, but man if it doesn't seem to bring ever slob rifle hunter out into the woods during bow season. Again nothing against rifles, just trying to put a picture in your head as we all know the type I'm talking about.
    I had a guy get out of his car with a cocked Xbow, load a bolt with a broadhead and start walking. Mind you this is a good hour or more before shooting light.
    I did question him on it and I got the response i thought I might." It's got a safety on it"
    I don't get it. I would either carry a discharge bolt or risk dry firing than to potentially injure myself or others.
    Like I said I got nothing against the use of crossbows, but know that you guys are going to get the stigma that goes along with them.
    I heard of alot of 4 year olds taking their first deer with a crossbow, pretty sure dad shot it.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please ... there are slob compound users too... a slob hunter is a slob hunter... let's not generalize

17. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a compound user for 30 years.. seen the full range of new changes to the sport. But after turning 50 my body has started to break down.. because of a shoulder injury I can't even hold a bow horizontal much less draw it ! So a crossbow allows me to continue to enjoy hunting. To me it was easier to carry and walk in the woods with a compound bow. I also find that because a crossbow is already cocked it becomes more cumbersome in the stand and I dislike having to carry it out of the woods cocked and having to fire it to unload. Other than that I'm extremely accurate with it from the get go !

18. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What part of OK are you from?

19. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that also wouldn't be fair because there isn't as much of a need for good form in xbow shooting...

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys will be guys and we want to give our friends crap if we can. Having fun and responsibly harvesting animals is the goal. If you're accomplishing those, don't worry about anyone else. Your true friends may give you some flak but will stick with you.