How long to perfection?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, May 21, 2018.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Perfection in shooting I feel a lot of guys strive for, especially me. Have the confidence to shot 40 or 50 yards consistently only builds my confidence, but ever since buying a new bow a new sight,rest etc. I have not been shoot the same and it took me all this time to realize I put myself in a completely new situation and now I have to relearn how to shoot out to distance. I felt like a needed to share this realization with you guys. So how long until perfection? Anybody ever experience a similar situation?

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First One
    [​IMG]

3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How are you defining perfection? Indoor Vegas face always humbled me right down and it’s only 20 yards. Once the bow is set up, then it’s just form and pulling through the shot the same way everytime. I’m not a 300 30x shooter yet, but I like to work towards it in the off season until I can’t even stand the sight of a Vegas face. Even the pros aren’t always perfect.

There’s always room for improvement. The beauty of being a new archer is a newb can cover a lot of ground really quick. Then, there’s the plateau like in every sport. Usually the only way to get over the plateau is grinding through it....shooting and practicing clean shots with good form. They don’t have to always hit the X.

Take John Dudley for example, a world renowned archer who still trains during the off season like he’s shooting bows for a living. He’d probably tell you himself he’s still not perfect....but damn close.

CToutdoorsman likes this.
  4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Question is your new setup tuned? That will make a big difference but also muscle memory. Try blind bale shooting to work on your muscle memory so you know what a good shot sequence feels like. Definitely make sure your setup is solid though as that is a culprit that leads people to believe they are not as good as they really are. Good luck buddy and keep at it.

CToutdoorsman likes this.
  5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am still striving for it. A new bow and new setup will cause you to have to tweak a few things. I hope you get there soon!

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're in a great situation. Lots of time and a new rig to play with. Enjoy it