Horizontal rubs

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Fix, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about trying this up here in NY. I've watched a bunch of stuff and all the Ted Miller stuff. What's everyones thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never tried it, but I am looking for a good spot to put one. I've never thought about it until I saw the Ted Miller videos. He recommends using Scotch pines, so I'd like to get as close to his set up as possible.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was hoping for little more help guys...

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think there are a couple of key factors that make it work out for him. One being the type of branch, and two, location. I haven’t tried it bc I’m not sure where to wrangle up a scots pine limb. It seems he mainly uses them where bucks are already traveling and it just gets them to stop for a pic/vid or a kill shot.

5. Drew Price

Drew Price Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on trying it. I'm going to put it up where I have found a natural scrape line with rubs that pop up during the rut as well. This scrape/rub line has been a hot spot for the last few years. The trees are small pine/conifer trees. I am going to take one down, then wire it up directly behind one of the scrapes to hopefully get some good footage. I'll keep you guys posted. Ran into a delay as my new camera was stolen so onceIi grab a new one, Ill put the horizontal rub up.

6. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that I learned is do not put them too close to a food source. I think they do much better near buck bedding or a travel corridor. I would avoid putting it out too early. I think sometime in middle or early October is best. Try and secure the horizontal limb so that it has a little bit of movement. Also, make sure that it extends beyond your upright posts that you are securing the horizontal section to. The bucks seem to like the extended branch a little more. I also try and put a camera facing right down the direction of the horizontal section (essentially perpendicular to it).

Fix likes this.
  7. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I am with you on trying them out this year fix! I have had good luck with mock scrapes and I think I have a good area for a cedar rubbing post! I think it'll work!

Fix likes this.
  8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    20180907_131707_resized.jpg Heres one of three I have had set up. There are no scotts pines here. I went with limbs from trees they do rub here that smell. Which are white pine and sassafras . They rub white spruce as well, but sassafras holds it's strong smell longer. They were checked out,some rubbed and the scrapes used, but not a ton . They hit my standing trees more. The sassafras sucker when damaged and grow fast! So Every years there are good sized ones to cut and replace in mid Oct.
    PS. That looks higher on the tree than it is every place is on a hill side thats just hip high on me and I'm 5' 5" .

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you scar the rub to begin the scent release or just cut the branches off? I'm going to do Ceder as it's the closest I have.

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and with a licking grape vine near, I use scrape scent to draw deer in.