Help with speed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by parkersdad, Jul 22, 2017.

1. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How can I figure my speed closely? I'm shooting a Matthews HTR set on 64 pounds. My arrow is 28 inches long. My draw length is 27 1/2. I'm shooting a Beaman ICS hunter 400 with a 100 grain head and a nocturnal knock. Can someone get me close as none of the archery shops have chronographs around my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Does speed matter? Air mail without a zip code will never find it's destination.

copperhead and cantexian like this.
  5. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all your help guys. Basically I just wanted to know what kind of Kinetic energy I was generating with this bow. And by the way I do not care about speed if I did I would not be shooting an HTR. I have a Hoyt Nitrum as well and it's an awesome bow but there is just something about this HTR that I have fallen in love with

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  6. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My HTR is the exact same specs. OnTarget2 is always within 1 fps of my chrono. Those online calcs were always way high of real world no matter what bow I had.

I don't know what all you have on your string or if the bow is in good tune, but assume a peep and dloop. Not sure if by 28" arrow you mean total length or carbon to carbon, but used c2c in the program. I shoot a 350 spine to your 400 but your arrow is 8.4 gpi to my 8.7 gpi but since you use a Nockturnal out arrow weights are REAL close based on my guesses. Your FOC is a bit lower so that may affect flight compared to mine.

If your bow is tuned well and your arrow is close to 395g (which I think it is) I'm guessing 260-263 fps and about 60 KE. Momentum 0-40yds in that .45 area.

My 27.5 mods come out to 27.75" actual draw, draw weight is 64.22# (1 1/2 turns out from cranked), 6.5" brace height, ATA 32 1/16" and my arrow is 395.5g with 12.15% FOC. My chrono and the one at the 3D shoot I go to both have me at 261 fps and Ontarget2 has me at 261.19 fps. My timing is spot on and I use a limb driven rest so no WB to slow it down or cable driven rest to mess with timing or false weight readings.

7. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is the exact same as yours including the Nocturnal Nocks except I am shooting a whisker biscuit

8. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    Also what sight do you have on yours?

9. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I use the HHA with the slider.

10. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use Nockturnals but my arrow is a few gpi heavier than yours and you using the Nockturnals makes up for the weight difference pretty much. Your Nockturnals weigh almost 3 times my regular nocks but all that Nockturnal weight is on the back of the arrow.