Help on Getting more distance from my setup

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by K.Taylor, Oct 7, 2018.

1. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,
    I am shooting a Mathews Triax w/60lbs and 26.5" draw. I have moved my peep up some on my bow, and switched to a dovetail sight to help me get 60 yards. I have always struggled with Vane clearance if I move my sight housing lower to increase distance, and recently I have adjusted my peep a little higher to see if that would assist because of that. I didnt know if anyone else knew anything that helped them to reach distances such as 70 and 80 yards. Thank you for your time!

Attached Files:

2. BowhunterJeremiah

BowhunterJeremiah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So what I have done to get Extra distance on my site is first I have went from a dovetail site to a fixed site and I gained a little distance when you have a dovetail extended all the way out you will see an increase in pain gap or in rather an increase in yardage tape versus having you talked all the way in

Glad to see that you’re playing with your anchor lower anchor mean to higher peep and higher peep means higher sight which will allow you to get more distance. I use to not be able to shoot out to 130 yards but I went from a high anchor to a low anchor and picked up some yards.

You could always shoot a lighter arrow but I don’t think that’s needed. You could go to a adjustable sight and have a fixed housing would be my suggestion. With your sight extended all the way out like that you are loosing distance

Are those your arrows ? They look rather long as well. You could go to a lower profile vane like the x vanes which are small

copperhead and K.Taylor like this.
  3. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    they are vortec arrow vanes, but my arrows are 26.5" , which is the middle of my riser and the head hangs out front, but I assumed a dove tail would lengthen and shorten pin gap?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

4. BowhunterJeremiah

Dislikes Received:
    Your vanes and arrows are fine. That dovetail is what’s limiting you currently. The further you have your sight out from your bow the more gap your pins will have bring it in some and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.Taylor likes this.
  5. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the help and the clear up of the sights, I feel so silly now though haha! I will be adjusting as necessary! I have a backup bow that I am trying different things on, and I have another sight I can tinker a setup with. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. BowhunterJeremiah

Dislikes Received:
    Not a problem. Glad to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't adjust the peep.. that can lead to more shooting issues. Like stated before, the dovetail is hurting your distance. What sight are you shooting (multipin or single, slider or fixed)? Theres a few things you can do depending on which kind

tynimiller likes this.
  8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What exact sight are you using. I have a spot Hogg fast eddie xl (dovetail) and I had to re-sight in my 3 pin housing by lowering all the pins to the lower half of the sight housing. So basically I lowered the whole pin cluster so that when I lower the housing for longer distances I would have more clearance.... if that makes sense. But if you’re using an HHA or anything with a vertical pin, I’m not sure if that pin/pins is able to be lowered

beavertronic likes this.
  9. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your peeps needs to match your eyes when you're at full draw. 60 yds is deep enough to shoot. But here's my question. Are you hunting with that distance or just 3d targets?? If you're hunting. You only need to shoot 20yds at most. Most of my whitetail kills are between 15-20yds. 27yds was my furthest shot on a whitetail.

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lets check the basics too. My setup is very similar to yours but I am shooting a 470 ish grain arrow but my draw length is 27 vice 26.5. I have a single pin sight and can reach beyond 80 with it. So where in relation to your berger hole is the arrow. It should be roughly centered. If its not you might want to lower your rest and d-loop. That will give you room for a little more clearance just make sure you have clearance from bottom too. Also verify that you arrow is level at rest and not pointing downward.

Last resort you can put a dot on the bottom of your sight housing that is roughly centered with your pins and use that as a bottom pin. Not ideal but works in a pinch.

Also if you have a multi pin sight and center the whole housing in the peep you might want to try centering the pin in the peep vice the housing. This doesn't work well for me but will help extend your distance.

Several have covered shooting animals at this distance so I think that's covered. Good luck and I hope this helps some.

11. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't move my peep or mess with anchor at all. 60 yards is really far. I shoot a 440 grain arrow at 280fps 70 pound bow and i won't shoot an animal at 60 yards, in fact i never hardly practice at 60 either.

That whole thing about practice out to long distances is really just BS if you ask me. The bow is not a long range weapon. Understanding proper form, and understanding what you are doing is far more important. Many young shooters will just start shooting at long ranges and hope that through repetition everything will fix itself. In some cases i'm sure it will. However i think you'd be better served shooting the crap out of your 20-40 yard marks. When you can wake up in the morning, pull your bow back cold, and bullseye at 40, now thats a good goal. Or maybe try to practice shooting from tree stand, ground blind, sitting, kneeling, chair, or moving targets. There is so much there to work on other than distance.

12. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd have to disagree with the not practicing out to longer ranges, I shoot out to 100 yards and it has greatly enhanced my confidence shooting at closer ranges! If I shoot at 80 yards for a entire session, 40 yard shots are chip shots!

13. Xoutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    My dad once told me that those that only shoot close kill deer close only and those that only shoot far kill deer far only. Anyone can brag all they want about how far they shoot. But conserving and using your head to get close a game animal is the key of success.

14. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That doesn't make any sense, People who practice at long range can shoot close and far, People that practice close can only shoot close. People who shoot long range are usually much better shots than those that shoot close too, It takes a lot of discipline,technique and practice to consistently shoot at long range! Getting close to whitetail is one thing, Getting close to say a antelope or mule deer is a entirely different ballgame! I've shot a whitetail at 7 yards before, But when I went antelope hunting the closest I could get was almost 90 yards before I was busted! Chuck adams killed a mountain goat at 57 yards shooting fingers on a steep incline, He's killed a ton of animals close and at distance! I practice at long range because if I only practiced at closer ranges I would handicap myself and in hunting a shot can present itself at all sorts of ranges!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. Xoutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    An expert bow hunter doesn't need to be a long distance shooter. I once practiced out at 50yds. My substitute teacher from high school once told me that you dont need to shoot any big game animal any further than 20yds. I answered him the guys on tv shoot out at 40-50yds. He said you're not them. I'm a believer. When you comment that chuck Adam's killed a mt goat out at 57yds. That's him. I've encountered mature whitetails at 50yds. I'd still wait till he walks in 20yds or next time. It's all about patience. The more I wait for the animal to get closer. The more I improve my patients as a bow hunter. Even if I'm out west for elk, mule deer, and proghorns. 27yds I would try if the winds are 10mph with the animals broadside only, 15-20+mph winds Its 20yds and under from quarter away to broadside. I have no regrets not making a long poke on any big game animal even out west. I'd rather make a for sure successful lethal shot rather than wounding an animal from a long poke injury, and still not dead. That's just me

16. Jerry Casperson

Jerry Casperson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yeah id say shooting longer distances id go to a 5 pin sight. I use the trophy ridge react pro 5 and was awesome. that way your sight stays put. Its funny that you said this cause i never even thought about any of this, I shot a deer at 40 a few weeks back (had my one pin set at 42) made a less than stellar shot (dont worry animal was quickly recovered and finished off) and now im wondering if teh vane maybe hit my sight.

K.Taylor likes this.
  17. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm wanting to try a DIY Mule Deer hunt. I can shoot up to 60 no problem. but I'd like to atleast make 70

18. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can shoot very well to 60 yards cold. I am wanting to mule deer hunt DIY and I know sometimes individuals have to shoot past that.
    I'd like to have options in the field, and not need then, than need them and not have them

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhhhhh the old "distance" debate again I see.
    When will everybody learn all shots should be at 100 yards with a crossbow with rage broadheads.

20. jathomas437

jathomas437 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's a simple fact that, if you practice at long ranges AND close ranges, you will be confident in your shooting abilities. I never take a shot at a whitetail any farther than 30 yrds, but the long range practices will make close shots seem super easy.

K.Taylor likes this.