Fun with PETA

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Aug 24, 2017.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PETA has a facebook movement going called "Shoot selfies not animals". You can pick any profile picture. Several of my friends and I have taken advantage of this with successful hunting pictures.

The goal is leave the picture up making fun of PETA through the weekend. On Monday, keep the picture but switch the support to a true conservation group. The goal is raise awareness for prohunting groups that actually practice conservation and benefit wildlife. On Monday, I am changing mine to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

#shootselfiesnotanimals

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    130Woodman likes this.
  2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also took advantage of the opportunity. I'm not sure what PETA expected to happen. It seems like a pretty dumb move.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    kjstaudt86 likes this.
  3. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Without a doubt. As funny as it is, I think it is also a great opportunity to raise awareness for real conservation which I am making the switch to RMEF support on Monday. I think this would be a missed opportunity for hunters if it is only about mockery.

4. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

So a standard PETA move then

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PETA (People with Euthanized Thinking Ability)

frosty452 likes this.
  6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not as much fun as I had with GreenPeace. Solid Stream from 2 1/2 inch fire hoses.

cantexian and WillO like this.
  7. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do tell..........

cantexian likes this.
  8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Once upon a time after in a land far far away...

The ship I was stationed on once pulled into Victoria/Esquimalt BC. We were certified to carry nuclear Tomahawks so Green Peace decided they wanted to come out in their little zodiac type boats and try to paint nuclear symbols on the hull of our ship. We were instructed to use the fire hoses to keep the hull wet so they couldn't get the paint on. Well with the ship moving around and the decks all being wet, naturally on occasion we slipped and "accidentally" sprayed them.

This isn't my ship but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It looks to me like an ingenious way for those whack-jobs to figure out who they can target on a local basis. No way I would call that type of attention to myself. They are not above doing some truly awful things to people and property. Just FYI.

10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Great job and story! At times I am embarrassed to say that these nut jobs and I share a hometown. Not all of us who lived there feel that way. My dad used to take me and my brother down to see the ships and tell us stories about how our grandfathers served in the Navy during WW2. We once got to watch the fleet with the USS Lincoln go by while we were out salmon fishing. It was awesome to see the planes landing and take off. Thanks for your service and soaking a we idiots along the way!

11. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So you
    So your a closet hunter? All they have to do is look at my FB page. depending on the time of year there are fish or dead critters on it. Not hard to tell if I'm a Sportsman or not.

JGD likes this.
  12. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took advantage of it and have "liked" everyone of my friends that have any kind of DUCK, TURKEY, DEER, SHEEP etc in their pics.

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    If that's what you want to call it. No, you wont see pictures of my deer on Facebook. For many reasons. I have seen far too many guys regret their willingness to share that type of information. The people that I want to see my trophies see them in person. Or, I send them a text in private.

14. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For the average Joe hunter (like 99% of us here, I see no harm in bringing awareness to conservation and the hunting community simply by changing a Facebook profile picture). I'm curious to hear some of the stories you have where people have regretted putting a picture online.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    A simple search of just about any social media outlet will net you the same information. If they really wanted to harass people they could stake out the local bow shops, gun ranges, sporting goods stores, etc. Or just drive around and find hunters out in fields or look for trucks with hunting stickers on them.

It's not like hunters are some sort of underground movement that they had to flush out to find us. We're all right here.

16. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    The problem is, our friends and family are already aware. Poking a mean dog normally has one result.

I can tell you of many stories where guys had land bought or leased out from under them or had their area targeted for poaching etc., because they were quick to share information on social media. And that's from fellow "sportsmen". Cameras and gear stolen, cabins vandalized, stands placed on fences, and the list goes on from both sides.

I share information here more than anywhere. But, no way I am putting anything up on a broader social media.

AshAid, JakeD, Swamp Stalker and 4 others like this.
  17. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    You think they don't? I'm just not interested in making it easy for them. To each their own. I'm not saying anything is wrong in posting up all the private information they want, but its not something I recommend if you want privacy in the woods.

AshAid and Swamp Stalker like this.
  18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PETA would rather we run every animal, bird or bug out of their habitat and clear the land to grow more vegetable.

That loving on animals the vegan/PETA way.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Supporting a
    The day we kowtow to PETA and the anti-hunting agenda is the day we're all doomed. It's when we stand together that we're most powerful.

Perhaps they're the ones who are poking the mean dog.

20. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not even a mean dog. The hunting community is like the family lab. very friendly, easy to get along with, and minds their own business (stays on its own porch). Doesn't go out looking for trouble. But if an intruder threatens its family it turns into a different animal. Hunters stand together and protect their own.