Food Plot Noobie

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by IAreGerg, Jul 19, 2019.

1. IAreGerg

IAreGerg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

This question comes from a point of curiosity. I have been searching around for an answer, but cannot seem to find one.

This is the first year I have put in a food plot by my stand. It is full of clover and chicory. I would like to plant some sort of grain to carry the plot through the fall/frost and into the winter months. Once I decide on what to plant, is this something that can simply be cast into the current food plot to grow up within the clover and chicory, will I need to kill off the current crop and start over, or should I expand the plot for the grain.

I appreciate any direction anyone can give on what my options are. If someone has any website that I can reference as well, I would greatly appreciate that.

2. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oats. There are many brands. They grow fast, provide winter feed. If I use them I just throw it out before a rain in the clover plot and no you don't need to kill off the clover/chicory.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As in the previous post oats are good. Depending on where you are and when your season starts you need to time the seeding for best attraction.
    That said winter rye will germinate about any place, tricical is great. I'm planting winter wheat but my rye from last year is keeping the critters happy in seed heads.
    All that said if you have good sun light a light over seedling of turnips and or rape is great. On a mature clover plot it will take up excess nitrogen extending the plot and loosening compacted soil to get better water flow in rains. Increase your worm population which are fertilizing machines.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BTW
    Here is a consideration for future plots. Seeing you already have chicory in the mix, making weed control a matter of mowing and you want a better late season draw go with Small Burnett. Small Burnett attracts ALL season BUT is an " ever green" forb. The deer and turkey will dig through snow for it.
    Just starting out ...read,read,read....
    Over the years I've planted things never thought of and things that were said didn't work. I laugh every time I see them added to the commercial line up, well until the price goes up because of it.