Food for thought

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Sep 15, 2018.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was watching one of the hunting shows on either the Sportsman Channel, or the Outdoor Channel on cable, forget what it's called, but it's one of the better one's out there. Dude is hunting in Iowa on some awesome ground, and one of his big sponsors apparently is Scent Crusher. So, naturally he's showing how he puts all his camo gear into the Crusher before he hits the woods. His Chevy truck has all the Scent Crusher decals on it, even his hat says Scent Crusher. He's a hard core Scent Crusher dude!

Next scene, he's on his tree stand using one of those wind direction thingy's, like once you're already in your stand it matters? Anyway, after a bit, a really big Iowa buck eventually comes out to his right. I mean this is a GOOD buck! Dude says "I feel the wind changing, I hope he doesn't get down wind". Well, that's exactly what that buck did. That buck looked his way, turned, and bounded out of his life in a haste!

It was just so ironic how this guy kept "selling" the Scent Crusher product during his show, only to have this happen on film. I'm still surprised they even aired this show after what took place. I just thought I'd share that.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deer can smell through all that stuff. They can pick you off even if you are head to toe in scent lok...ozone...all of it.

3. Robert Normand

Robert Normand Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love when a giant buck walks out and they say, yea he'll be a nice deer next year. Here I am hunting public land hoping to at least see a spike. :(

Pro V1, AshAid, Windwalker7 and 5 others like this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    They represent the elite 1% of buck hunters. And that is ok. The rest of us need to realize that and not give a darn. I'm happy to see a 100 inch 8 pt. Gets my adrenaline moving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AshAid, DKennedy951, kahneyjd and 4 others like this.
  5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your Pain Robert! Heck, I'd get buck fever if I saw a spotted fawn! I agree with VS, and no longer give a darn.

early in and Robert Normand like this.
  6. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes it’s all the camera equipment and stuff that the deer smells. Although I know that all the scent eliminating products and such can not cover all human scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    And mouth scent, ground scent, butt scent.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AshAid and dnoodles like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He must have forgot his nose jammer.

AshAid and early in like this.
  9. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally believe that deer smell our breath more than our body odor. Otherwise why are deer not afraid of my stinky work clothes that I leave outside sometimes? I even did a test where I put the stinkiest clothes I could funk up, out in the woods on a busy deer trail, and set a trail cam on it. The deer couldn't have cared less about my stinky clothes, but if I was out there they'd have bolted.

AshAid and early in like this.
  10. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing tricks that nose!!

early in and jackflap like this.
  11. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gimmicks. You cant fool their nose. Just hunt and enjoy your time outside.

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    what're you all talking about??? I wear scent lok underwears, scent blocker midweights, spray myself down with DDW, live in an Ozonics bubble, and bathe in baking soda. I've never had a deer wind me. Of course, I only see 3 deer per year, but I know they never smelt me.

All kidding aside, I'm sure a lot of it helps, but none of it is a silver bullet. Nothing beats a deer's nose. But I have to admit I see a lot more deer since I started paying attention to scent control.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It does seem like some crazy holy water ceremony spraying the scent free spray every layer.

14. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe around here, Deer are used to human odor. From shed hunters, mushroom hunters all the way to tree rat hunting, there’s always someone in the woods. They learn to avoid detection, but not necessarily run. I’ve had Deer hunker down and let me walk right by them.
    If you took everything the Deer experts tell you you need, that semi trailer would make a nice blind.

dnoodles likes this.
  15. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is funny.....

Not to purposely be a wise guy, but I am amazed at how many people, and what I am sure the majority of folks on here, believe in some form or anther of these scent control or eliminator products. I am curious by nature and have tried most all of them, at least categorically, and they don’t work.

I know most of you disagree and really believe that you seen positive results. That’s what I find interesting from an observation of human nature perspective. Some folks want to believe in the “magic pill” so badly that the first anecdotal evidence that supports their position leads them to the conclusion it had to be the “product “ that made the difference.

I have had all kinds of deer come in downwind with me in my work clothes and regular soaps, detergents etc. Wind thermals, young deer, stupid deer...etc. is the likely reason. I can understand why someone all decked out in scent control, ozonics, etc thinks that is why. But it happens xxx percent of time regardless.

I have also seen deer blow and leave the county 50-100 yards out when I have done everything from scent lock, sprays, ozonics, etc. Again, it’s has more to do with wind thermals, humidity, wind speed and maturity of deer in question.

Same with deer detecting scent from my walk in route or where I touched a fence, etc... Some deer pay no mind no matter how little I do and others turn inside out 1-3 hours after my entry no matter how much I do.

But don’t take my word for it. Experiment with and without. Hunt half the time with it and half the time this season with the snake oil or snake oil combination of your choice. Observe objectively and I feel confident you will realize that both the positive encounters and the negative encounters are gonna be the same with or without over the course of the season. It will save you lots of money hassle, and wasted time in the long run. Just my opinion based on real life experiences.

16. early in

Dislikes Received:
    This post couldn't have been more spot on. I'm sure this ruffles the feather's of a lot of folks who make money off of it, or the folks who have already spent their money on it, but the truth is the truth. These scent control sales people have many folks brainwashed.

17. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know I could use all the scent control tricks in the book and deer would still smell me, but I still do it. Mainly because its 1. a cheap way to maybe give you a better chance at success. and 2. because mentally I feel like I'm doing something that I think might help increase my odds at shooting a deer. I use the laundry detergent, field spray, body wash, arm and hammer no scent deodorant and toothpaste, and have a little ozone thingy I put in with my clothes for a few hours before I hunt. Apart from the ozone thing I probably spend less than $20/year on the rest of the stuff as I always buy it on sale after the season. For such little money I figure why not.

18. early in

Dislikes Received:
    With all due respect, the only "cheap" parts of scent control are the sprays. The Scent-Loc clothing, Crushers, and Ozonics are quite pricey.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I will agree that not all scent control works all the time. Scent control in all of it's various forms is not a silver bullet. However I believe it would be naive to completely discount it's potential benefits in hunting situations. Minimizing the amount of odor you put off your body during a hunt and the amount of odor you place in the woods are both beneficial things for hunters.

However like many things we do in the pursuit of animals that one time it does work and does help you punch a tag you will certainly feel that whatever cost or effort you put into it was worth it. Let's face it, we spend lots of money and time on things that don't always work. Food plots, ground blinds, treestands, grunt calls, and rattling antlers just to name a few. But that one time you have a buck step into your food plot and you kill him dead you're sure glad you planted it. Same goes for scent control. That one time it buys you a few extra seconds or helps you elude a buck's nose just enough to get a shot off makes it all worth while.

JasonOhio2018 and Fix like this.
  20. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    True. I don't use any of that stuff. The stuff I use I listed in my op is cheap though. But, you're right it can get out of hand quick.