Fall turkey kill

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by ILL BUCK, May 23, 2019.

1. ILL BUCK

ILL BUCK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a turkey kill on video last fall too. Over all a good start to my videoing career!

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tennessee has a fall turkey season that is open in just a few counties in central TN. Any tips or things that need attention for fall turkeys? TIA.

3. ILL BUCK

ILL BUCK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No, i'm not much of a turkeys hunter. Just take advantage of the situation when i'm deer hunting.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Late to the party, but I've read that a good fall season tactic is to find a flock and then scatter them...yes you read that right. Many people will use dogs to do this if it's legal. Then they pull the dogs and sit down where the flock was scattered and use soft calls to call one back in. Apparently when the flock is scattered in the fall they will reassemble near the site where they were scattered about an hour later and call to each other to relocate each other.
    Last year while archery elk hunting I played around with some turkeys. It was an evening hunt and the elk weren't being vocal yet so I was just sitting in an area with a lot of sign and hoping some elk would wander through. I started hearing some turkeys above me in the timber, they were softly talking to each other using "putts, do-it, whit-whit, and peel-peel-peel" type calls. Being bored I started mimicking their calls on my elk diaphragm call and ended up having a hen come in to about 30 yards before she spotted (I think) my brightly colored fletchings and spooked out. I had burned my tag in the spring and didn't purchase a second one, so couldn't attempt a shot at her.