Ever duck and deer hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikido, Feb 17, 2018.

1. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are 3 magical days next season where goose/duck and deer bow fall together, and during the rut!

This pond I have is loaded with fowl, and is in a stretch of timber. Anybody carry a shotgun and bow and land both?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Hogs need lovin too likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was a kid I ran home to get my shot gun on more than one occasion to shoot ducks that would land on some small ponds where I was bow hunting.
    I have some flooded timber and a creek that gets some wood ducks on it in the fall. I wouldn't think of shooting up my deer spots for a couple ducks these days.

3. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have that overlap too but since I do my waterfowl over big water on the Mississippi river, no deer out there.

None the less, I had the tri-ultimate weekend a few years ago and scored a DUCK, BUCK, GOOSE all on the same weekend!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I had the pic a buddy sent me one day. I still curse him over it. Hunting the public land on kaskaskia river in southern Illinois leaves a guy scratching his head on which game to pursue sometimes. So this buddy of mine was torn on what to do so he threw his duck hunting and deer hunting stuff in his boat and headed up river. Deciding to go after ducks because of what he saw the night before (bunch of new birds), he quickly got his limit that morning. He said what the heck and dropped the ducks off at the boat and grabbed his bow. He said he barely had a chance to hang his bow up on bow hanger and here comes a nice fat doe. Down she went. So here he is dragging a nice doe back to the boat to throw next to his limit of ducks. On the way back he sees a bunch of fish on his depth finder so he of course has some fishing gear in his boat. Ties off to a tree and catches over 100 white bass. They were chasing up into the river. What a day! We have done many duck hunts in the morning then went out for evening deer hunts. Man I can’t wait for next season already....

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ice fished with a deer rifle ready once. The day before the deer were walking the edge of the lake. Of course not the day we had guns.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I once caught a walleye and shot a drake mallard in one duck opener on the Mississippi.

7. Hogs need lovin too

Hogs need lovin too Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. I want that for me

8. Dwb

Dwb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I normally keep my rifle in my boat during duck season. Found a buck on a island one day while duck hunting. Went back that evening and able to kill him. Then was scouting ducks one day and got on one of the biggest bucks I have got on in east tn. And the sun was glaring in my scope and could not get it done.

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you have a good explanation for having a loaded shotgun during bow season if/when the man stops by.

10. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The seasons coincide. Now if I had a dead deer covered in #2 and no bow on me, I'd be in deep doodoo

11. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No law here about carrying multiple arms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk