Does Barometric Pressure Move Deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob likes this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe that more folks haven't commented on this article! Personally, I think it's a great read and some really good insight and info.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've always felt like the pressure itself isn't what's making the deer move - it's the weather changes surrounding it. Most notably a high pressure system after a good front moves through. Yes, the pressure is high but the deer have also been socked in for a day or two with low pressure and most likely bad weather whether that is wind, rain, snow, etc. Once that front moves out and you get that first cold, blue-bird sky day of high pressure the deer seem to enjoy it and move a little more. Whether's it's the pressure, the temps, the clear skies or a combination of all that increases movement is up for debate.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And I would tend to agree with you.. However.. I am firm in the belief that every hunter needs something to believe in whether it be true or not, it's a motivator. Some have called it a placebo effect or whatnot. I know when I hear high pressure front coming my way, I get excited. I used to believe in the whole moon sign thing and still have a tendency to pay attention to it. Then you have Charles Alshieimer, or had.. for years I couldn't be convinced that what he was writing was malarkey but ask any one today and they will say it was all phooey. It must have had some merit, right?

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe there is something to it but only as it relates to mid-day movement when the temps are below 45 degrees. I've just seen deer move too many times in that scenario. They don't necessarily move that far, but do tend to move some. Just what I have observed. I'll miss Charles' articles.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I’m not a fan boy, the Drury’s have been driving this for a few years now and even came out with the Deer Cast App. that up to this point has been quite accurate for my area. It’s hard to argue with their success at killing bucks.
    I half heartedly paid attention to it last fall and this fall I’m paying way more attention to the practice of following the barometer. Now being a working stiff I don’t let it dictate when I hunt as I hunt when I can. But when things align and the pressure is at or above 30 I’m going to be in my best stand that the winds allow.
    Tonight it was over 30” and I seen 12 deer in a 2.5 hour sit in a area managed for 15 deer per sq. mile in northern WI. I have experienced it enough now that when I see days like Wednesday forecasted I’m going to make a concerted effort to be in the woods.

Shoot straight and follow through!

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Weather changes trigger feeding be it fish or game.

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In thinking about it.. When I punched a clock and had to plan days off in advance i always consulted the almanac to plan accordingly. It was encouraging to think you had done all this research so it's going to go right, right. Then when I was able to go anytime I wanted it was also around the time that these moon time apps came about, I think I had one called Solunar pro, idk. Anyway, I will give it credit for one thing. I had at the time bought into the solunar thing hook, line and sinker. If it said the hunting was poor, I wouldn't even bother going out and when it said it was excellent I wouldn't come off the stand all day. So in hindsight, I did keep me from burning a spot up and gave me the confidence/will power to sit all day. It is what it is.