Do you foodplot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ruteger, Sep 18, 2017.

?

Do you plant a foodplot each year?

1. Yes, I plant one or more foodplots each year, and this forum has advanced my foodplotting

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Yes, I plant one or more foodplots each year, but already knew it all before reading this site

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. No, I only hunt public land so I don't have the opportunity to plant a foodplot

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. No, I hunt in deer heaven so foodplots aren't needed where I am

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. No, the property I hunt already has agricultural fields, so there's no need to plant more.

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I was checking out my foodplot today. While I was out there, I was thinking about how this site has helped me become a better hunter over the past few years by incorporating foodplots into my yearly hunting activities. It was something I never did before since they aren't very popular in my area of the country.

I don't do anything major; only about 1.5 acres of clover that I mow a few times a year and overseed each year to keep the clover in good standing. I usually also overseed with a little winter wheat at the end of August to give the plot a little more seasonal longevity since the clover tends to die out after the harder frosts hit the first week of November.

So, what percentage of people who use this site incorporate foodplots into their yearly hunting and whether or not this site has played a part in advancing your foodplots. If you want, after you vote, tell us about your foodplot and whether this site has played a part in planting your foodplot, and even if you don't plant a foodplot, why not?

[​IMG]

copperhead likes this.
  2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure would if I had some land lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruteger likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I plant a few small ones every year but they honestly don't do all that much for me. I believe in the last 4 years I've killed 3 does off my plots. So I'm not saying that they don't help kill deer, but I don't think I've become any better of a hunter because of them.

Westfinger and ruteger like this.
  4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing food plots since 1988 for deer, turkey and game birds. Just a couple acres to start with then in every available nook and cranny. Now that I work on a ranch we have about 100 acres per year. Some are semi permanent clovers , etc. so not planting all 100 acres every year. I also farm ~600 acres of row crop as well that deer use as food plot, lol.

I still learn a lot on the forum about food plots and deer. Anyone that says they know it all is just full of crap.
    Ours are for deer nutrition, not primarily kill plots. I'm interested in fat healthy deer, not necessarily killing them. Food plots have made me a better hunter in that I study deer and have learned a lot from observation of deer over the years. I wouldn't say they've made me a better hunter as a bait source type of sense.

copperhead likes this.
  5. Oklahoma33

Oklahoma33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used to plant one small one. After dozer work and moving tons of dirt I put in an 8 acre food plot in a pecan grove. My part of the country does not have a large amount of food for about 6-8 miles. They hit our fruit trees, oaks and pecan trees pretty hard so I'm banking on have a banner year for bucks. We put in beats, clover, rye, vetch and wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruteger likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have narrowed it down to just 1 just over a quarter acre, it is key in my hunting method. No real ag fields close. I leave my plot open most of the year but I fence it off for a month or so before I hunt late october early november. I have 2-3 weeks before it is dirt but every night like clock work the does come to eat. The apples and pears trees help too as well as supplemental feeding.

ruteger likes this.
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As Justin said, I do plant food plots but seldom hunt right over them. I prefer the trails leading too them.
    Tried bout everything and really like pumpkin/squash for a foodplot

ruteger likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to have my back to the deer approaching the food plot, anyone else?

fletch920 likes this.
  9. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mean facing the food plot on the trail the deer use to get to the plot?

Just wondering because I just turned my stand facing the food plot. The deer that I have seen on the plot don't come in where my stand is but they all seem to migrate to that corner.
    If this were the case for you, would you turn your stand facing away from the plot?

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well actually it depends, like I said I am down to 1 food plot and on that plot I have 3 stands. My favorite stand is set up for the prevailing NW wind, the deer usually come from the south. Having my back to them I have cover of the tree as they approach.

11. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in the land of pine trees with no row crops within 100 miles of both our farms. We depend on our food plots not only for hunting over but also for nutrition. We plant around 30 acre in summer and fall plots. Now if we could keep the hogs from destroying them we would be in good shape.

mylsuhat and ruteger like this.
  12. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

What varieties do you have, Sota?

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honey crisp apples and I will check on the pears tonight. Kinda embarrassed I have a dozen apple trees on the property and none of the apples are eaten by humans. Also lucky Nelson Nursery in town does bare root fruit trees at a good price every spring.

14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plant food plots and I do hunt over them but my ultimate goal is to provide a year round food source that is high in protein. At one time I was just putting out feeders but they never seemed to take to the pellets well even when slowly mixed with corn. Corn was great and helps to get them through the winter but really does not provide a good source of nutrition. Im certainly no expert but over the period of 3 years in planting small plots I have recognized the presence of mature deer hanging around. I rarely get a chance to take a shot but they are there so it only helps increase my odds.

The plots also benefits does and fawns. Yes native forage can and will provide for them but if we can provide a higher quality more beneficial source why not. After all a few lose their lives so why not benefit as many as you can in the process. Its a part of what I feel about giving back more than you take.

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Mother Nature's food plots, ACORNS!!! :tu:

ruteger likes this.
  16. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I'm finding my plots don't hold big bucks year-round. I usually don't start getting photos of bucks on my plots until the end of August and they're almost always just strolling through, but I consistently get photos of does and fawns every day. If there are does, there will be bucks. Once the bucks start appearing on camera, the frequency at which they appear increases dramatically as the rut draws near. It's really a fun thing to watch.

Here's a photo of some triplets from last year on the plot:
    cropp.png

Hunter Bob and copperhead like this.
  17. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting you say that. Every year the big boys I get on cams disappear the last week of August and then show back up around late November/December. I can only hunt the field edges so they are usually in always after dark. But one day somebody is gonna be early or late.

Great looking triplets. Thats was we want; healthy does that can produce healthy triplets!! Awesome picture.

ruteger likes this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had month upon month of nothing but pics of does at the feeder. I fenced the food plot off and I started getting pics of bucks at the feeder.

copperhead and ruteger like this.
  19. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm "That Guy." I hunt deer in heaven. Yano, I don't have a good excuse for why I don't plant food plots. I would say it's because of lack of knowledge. Some of the reasons I came up with while writing the last three sentences are:

How do I know what to plant?
    Will it die before the season?
    Will the deer wipe it out before the season?
    Where do I plant it (them)?
    How do I get equipment back there?
    How much maintenance will it be throughout the summer?
    It seems expensive?
    What time of year do I plant?
    Do I need to use chemicals?
    How big do I make it?
    How big is an acre?
    Will the deer even use it?
    I see tons of deer already, will it make it that much better?

I have a PRIME property to run plots. Ten acres of it was just logged in small patches all over the property. I've been dreaming about putting plots in since the landowner said he was having it logged. The landowner even encourages me to plant plots. However, I was overwhelmed with "what if's" and "how do I's" and I fished bass all summer instead. Normally, I'm the opposite. I'd dive into it and learn all I can and I'd have a set hung over my brand new food plot. But on the same property my good friend planted a plot and it was a flop. Nothing grew and it was overrun by weeds. I think that is what deterred me from it altogether. Regardless, I'm incredibly disappointed in myself now for not rising to the challenge. Thanks for bringing it up.

ruteger likes this.
  20. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do that if you would please. I'm looking at getting some started.