DIY Bow Camera Holder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by choppernut, Oct 1, 2012.

1. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, here is my second DIY post. I hope people see some good out of this one and Im not trying to push people from buying the cameras from the store, this is just a little money saver.

I appologize that this post isn't as organized as my other post as I've had this done for awhile and can't seem to find my step by step pictures, soooooo, here it goes.

Step 1:

Find yourself a piece of angle iron, approx. 1inch by 1 inch. The one I used is made out of Alum. to make it a little lighter. I cut mine 4 inches long. On one side, you can see there are three holes. These holes are where the stabilizer will attach, and the holes are 3/8'' in diameter. On the top side, there are 5 holes. You can put however many you would like but five fit nicely after being spaced out. They are 1/4'' hole for the bolt to go through that attaches to the bottom of your camera. After the holes were drilled, I scuffed the allum. bracket with some sandpaper and then spray painted it with a flat black paint so it won't glare. I also put a strip of foam on the top for a little cushion for the camera.
    182.jpg

Step 2:

Go to a local hardware store (I went to Fastenal) and pic up some threaded rod with an allen bit on the end that has the same thread as your stabilizer. (you'll need 2).
    185.jpg 186.jpg
    Also, pick up a long threaded nut, because you'll have to locktight a threaded bolt into this nut, and then that will go into the bow.
    184.jpg 183.jpg
    This nut moves the bracket and camera away from the bow just enought so neither are touching each other. After the long nut has been attached to the bow, put the bracket inbetween the long nut and the stabilizer and thread the stabilizer into the nut. Tighten the stabilizer to hold the bracket level. Then you can attach the camera with a small bolt that you can get at the hardware store as well.
    187.jpg
    This is what the camera will look like after it is all installed. Obviously I wont be hunting with a Red/chrome camera. I put camo tape over the camera except for the lense and flash. Its kind of nice using this bracket because if you need to bend the angle up or down, you can and it wont cost you much if it breaks, also, you can turn the camera to the left or right to get it to the right spot!!
    188.jpg 189.jpg 190.jpg

I do have video of using this, but of course it would be with the pictures that I cannot find. I'll have to take some more video and put it up on here. One little thing to mention, if you have an older camera, the shock of the shot may shut the camera off. I had an old kodak camera and evertime I would shoot, it shut the camera off. This nikon that is in the pictures, takes video and hasnt shut off yet!!

I hope this works out for someone, but you'll all have to let me know what you think of the idea!!

Thank you!!

2. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good thinking. Can't wait for some good videos!

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or go to insane archery.

4. coreysong89

coreysong89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    interesting