Colorado/Idaho OTC Archery elk

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Jfvince1, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Jfvince1

Jfvince1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Best place to DIY OTC Archery for elk on public land.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Colorado. Lots of elk, lots of public land. Do your homework, hunt hard and you’ll have an opportunity.

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking into this as well. So far as have only narrowed it down to southern Colorado between Durango and pagosa springs, there are about 6 good units in that area with OTC tags. Just kinda figuring out the rest, i.e. camping, packing in and terrain before making a decision.

4. Jfvince1

Jfvince1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of info here:
    http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/top-colorado-otc-elk-hunt-units/

5. Jfvince1

Jfvince1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/idaho-otc-elk-tags/

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are elk just about everywhere in the state of CO, fewer near the plains. They also have the largest numbers.

Ed:Elk are HEAVILY pressured just about everywhere, so expect you will have to work and cover ground to find them. I hear ID is also getting heavily pressured and wolves have knocked populations back hard, in some areas. You'd want to confirm any areas with folks having first hand knowledge (e.g. biologists, residents or hunter reports from the an area one you narrow down).

Cpw has booklets with overviews for the state with harvest stats per unit. Populations have dropped down near Durango and around Vail and CPW is just starting to address. Rumors of predators, mismanagement of herd and others swirl.
    Huntscore also has nice unit write ups. These resources are free and help narrow down choices. Some paid services will use harvest stats with other data to help you select based on all sorts of parameters.

Other considerations:
    •Trail and road access (check FS maps and ranger stations as some roads are 4wd or may/may not allow Offroad vehicles).

• Ed: Water! Make sure you know where to find it, this party year was VERY dry in CO. Also have a plan for how you're going to filter/treat and carry it. Water is one of the densest things you'll carry, short of the meat of an elk if you're successful. Make sure you're in shape.

•Camping facilities or even showers are great base camp considerations.

• Town accoutramants like fuel, ice, restaurant, etc. Great if you have crap weather, need a break or have success.

• Finally what is your pain threshold/how in shape do you think you are? The is done rugged country out there. Topos don't paint the picture, especially when bad weather sets in or base elevation is 9k and you're a flatlander. Did I mention to make sure you're in shape?

Once you have a rough idea of where you want to go, Google earth or OnX are good tools to explore...

I did a pretty big write up on my 2016 trip... the first few 'chapters' may be helpful.
    https://forums.bowhunting.com/threa...&share_tid=83080&share_fid=26204&share_type=t

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Okiebob likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think the guys from East to West podcast hunted this area the past couple years. You may want to check some of their episodes.

Okiebob likes this.
  8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will. I am looking at units 82, 83, 791 and 682. I am also checking out outfitters in unit 771. I have a old college buddy up in Fort Collins with a decent knowledge of public land closer to Grand Junction so that's always an option too. All I know is that I want to go to the mountains where my cell phone doesn't work and hunt.

Jfvince1 and wl704 like this.
  9. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Guys
    I plan on retiring and giving my self my first elk hunt 2019 SW Colorado diy otc I have been collecting things for three years. Will start training with the pack in a few weeks just waiting on the boots :bow:

JGD, Oldcarp and Okiebob like this.
  10. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is looking for this place! I’ve hunted Idaho and Colorado and there’s not an elk behind every tree.
    There’s a lot of good information out there to help you make your choice. Do your homework and you’ll start to see a plan come together.
    Get in shape, have a plan A, B, C and D. Get in shape. Don’t go cheap on boots or pack. Get in shape.
    Elk hunting is very addictive. You won’t go just once!

cantexian and Okiebob like this.
  11. Jfvince1

Jfvince1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been once before in 2004 2nd rifle around Pitkin/Tincup on the divide. It was an awesome experience but didn't get to shoot anything. But I know bowhunting is gonna be a different tactic. Just hoping someone could help point us in the right area. There will be at least 2 of us possibly up to 5 if I can get everyone to go. We're planning on packing in with tents unless we can find a good area to camp by the truck and just hike in daily.

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pack training is helpful for strength, endurance and will hopefully be useful for 'the real thing'...but

You don't need to wait for boots to get started pack training.

Do give some thought to exactly how you will use your pack. For example, last year myself and @soccerdan90 packed our camp (probably 50+ lbs each) in several miles, setup our camp and then day hunted with much less weight daily (<20#: water, kill kit, rain gear, layers, food, water filter, etc).

Do practice shooting your bow with a load you expect to tote about on a daily basis and max load... We saw elk on our hike out and ensuring you can shoot when out of breath, sweating and tuckered out is entirely realistic.

Do get some sports wash and know how to clean your pack if you do workout with it. #askmehowIknow

Okiebob likes this.
  13. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ThanksWL704
    I have started but you are correct. The plan at the moment is day hunt out of a camper. New to western pack hunting so should be interesting . So far looking for that number 20/25 like you said using a EXO 2000. I will be solo for two weeks and my son will join for the other two weeks

14. ELKSLAYER25

ELKSLAYER25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like Colorado OTC hunts. Me and a buddy seem to always have an opportunity at nice elk. Just have to close the deal and hunt hard. This fall I am looking at joining this archery hunting challenge in Colorado. Has anyone heard about it? Its called Toxoflite.