Can/Do you sit all day during the rut?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Oct 23, 2017.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was curious how many of us honestly sit the entire day during the rut? I'm talking 12 hours, from before first light till dark. When I first started hunting a lot of years ago, I had trouble sitting in one place for more that a few hours, but as the years went by and I learned the importance of sitting all day during the rut, I had to find a way to do it. IT AIN'T EASY!!!
    I quickly learned that you must eat to make it happen. Without food in your belly, you will not endure a 12 hour sit, plain and simple. Or, if you can actually pull that off, you will be one miserable SOB. Having a lot of action surely makes it much easier, but that isn't always the case, especially where I hunt. So, what I did was break up the 12 hour sit into 3 separate 4 hour sits. The Morning sit (6:00AM-10:00AM), Afternoon sit (10:00AM-2:00PM), and the Evening sit (2:00PM-6:00PM/dark). When I break it up like that, it kind of tricks my brain into thinking, aaah, this isn't too bad. Works for me. Oh, I don't use my phone to "pass time", I'm there to kill a buck and won't chance not being ready when/if that chance arises.
    So, how many of us do dark to dark hunts, and how do you manage to endure?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can not physically sit in a tree for that long. I will go in after sunup and sit till 1 then get down and head back out at 3 or so.

fletch920 likes this.
  3. 27drawNY

27drawNY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I get in the stand before Sun light and sit til like ten them go eat lunch do whatever for a couple hours then go back out probably to a different stand. Can't sit all day unless action is crazy. Which it usually isn't.

ruteger likes this.
  5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will sit all day when I think it is worth it. Thats what makes it easier. Food, books, phones, naps make time go by.

6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    no...I can't do it...ADHD, boredom, hungry, uncomfortable, and just simply don't want to..who knows how many big bucks have walked by at noon when I wasn't there?? but, it is what it is, I won't lose sleep over it.

sparwasser100 and Shane0709 like this.
  7. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've sat in a heated box blind in a recliner all day during gun season, but don't generally in a bow stand. Did when I was younger. I have to get up and move a little. I will usually hunt till noonish and head to the truck for a tailgate lunch stretch my legs a little and head back in.

ash d likes this.
  8. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna give it a try on the last Saturday of pa season if something doesn't happen until then. Have done it before but not to often. There's one spot I'm saving for that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Walton Webster

Walton Webster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I downloaded the kindle app on my phone and found reading in the stand really helps. I can sit till 11 fairly easily. From 11-1ish I am reading and eating a bit and maybe standing up for 15 or so minutes but being quiet. Then come 2- dark, I am back in the zone

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All my sits during the rut are an hour and a half before sunrise til half hour after sunset. On my Illinois trips id do 6-7 all day sits in a row.

It isn’t easy. Last year was the worst.. did multiple all day sits in the CT big woods without seeing a deer..

Did an all day sit this past Saturday with no deer sightings.

I eat, I day dream, use my phone for a few minutes at a time.

I do have diagnosed ADHD, I don’t medicate for it, so it’s extremely difficult for me to sit still, which is why I use my phone for a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never have/will
    I hunt for fun!

Old West likes this.
  12. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me, when I head to Missouri for my 5 day hunt it's sunrise to sunset for me and my hunting buddy. 5 straight days if needed. It hasnt paid off yet (killing one during the middle of the day) but I'm there to kill a good one and I have better odds being out there as much as I can right?

13. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to do it all the time when I was younger, just not the rut but regular hunts. Nowadays I'm like most of you, in before daylight stay till noon then back around 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've sat 10 hrs before. Had a couple close encounters with a buck I was chasing, but usually I'm out by 11-12 and go back at 1-2pm

I read an article here recently in bowhunter magazine and one guy said For all day hunts how he breaks it down is to have 3 different spots to go throughout the day. Have a morning spot, transition to another spot for the mid day hunt and have your 3rd and final spot to go to for your all day hunts. That way you always have something to look forward to. I will try this method this weekend and see how it goes.

Skywalker likes this.
  16. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually sit all day if I can, one way I trick my brain once it starts getting rough is to try and not to look at my phone when I'm sitting, it feels like the minutes tick by pretty quickly until I look at my phone and see the actual time. Then I subconsciously start counting the minutes and that makes it really tough.

Snacks really do help, eating a snack takes my mind off the mission for a minute which is a nice r&r moment

I try not to move & stretch too much, but the tree I chose this year is bend towards me slightly, so it's really uncomfortable. We will see if I muscle through it this year

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

early in likes this.
  17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Killing a buck at 1:30 in the afternoon is fun!

18. BowHood

BowHood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually get the best advice in the woods because I talk to myself. Actually I don't like to sit all day either unless I know the moment is right.

ccspinners likes this.
  19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm considered "young" and I've only been able to do roughly 10 all day sits in my 15 years of hunting. Not sure what it is but I just can't make myself do it. I have to get down around 11 otherwise I'd go crazy. I do always challenge myself to do it so maybe I'll start again this year.

20. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do all day sits in the rut. Usually get up and stretch a lot. Bring food and water. I bring an extra charger for my phone. It helps pass the time.

Move to a different stand if wind is changing or to get a new perspective. I’ve also crawled down stand.

Usually enough action to break up the day just fine. Small bucks, does, monster squirrels all get my attention.

CToutdoorsman and Jeffy like this.