bowhunting turkeys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by IndianaBowHunter18, Mar 16, 2017.

1. IndianaBowHunter18

IndianaBowHunter18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been trying to shoot a turkey with my compound bow the past few years and just wanted to ask a few questions. How far will you shoot at a turkey with your bow? And also what broad heads do you guys use for bow hunting turkeys? I have been thinking about getting the spitfire xxx for turkey and deer has anyone used these broad heads before? And what is the best blind out there for turkey hunting because the blind I use now is hard to shoot a bow out of.

Indianabowhunter12 likes this.
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The farthest that I have shot a turkey was 35 yards.

I am not a mechanical head fan EXCEPT for turkeys.

I hunt out of a 'Lucky's Hunting Blind'. Lots of room to shoot.

3. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will shoot out to 30 yards. 95% of my turkey kills have been inside 15 yards however. It will be up to you to determine your effective range to kill a turkey based on your abilities as a shooter and no one else's. For turkey hunting I use the cheap carbon express torrid heads and they are very effective. As far as a blind for hunting with a bow...double bull without a doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

IndianaBowHunter18 likes this.
  4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have only been hunting them 2 years with a bow. Last year I missed one at 25 yards. I totally rushed the shot and blew it. But 25-30 has always been my planned limit, but 15 yards seems like a good distance. I use NAP Gobbler Getter heads, only time I use mechanicals. We used my friends well used Double Bull the last two years. Now I am in Texas I will I have to pick up a blind for myself. I have a True Timber V5 hub blind but I don't really like it.

fireball mike likes this.
  5. Indianabowhunter12

Indianabowhunter12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe focus on taking your time on getting that perfect shot through a blind

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use slicktrick for everything. last years turkey was maybe ten yards, taking my shot from behind a little brush. gotta love those leaf suits.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    30 yards is about my max. I shoot fixed blade or mechanical. I've killed birds with both. Gonna try some Bullhead's this year and see if I can get a decap. 3 blade Spitfire should work well.

8. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My setup is about 12 - 15 yards from my blind, though last year I thought I was going to be shooting at about 30 yards as they looked hung up. Then about 5 mins later, then hens came by and boom 10 yards out right at my decoys. I would say if you could hit a grapefruit at 35 yards every time then I would say 35 yards is good for you. Just remember, the size of the target is about that size to hit or probably the white circle in a 5-spot NFAA target.

9. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My setup is usually about 10 to 15 yards from my blind, or depending on what way the turkeys typically come from ill place it on my left or right slightly so they walk past my blind setup with eyes off me. I wont shoot past 30 just because that's what I'm comfortable with. Remember they have a smaller kill zone and a lot of feathers so you have to be sure of your placement. I used a rage broad head in the past, this year i will use the nap Killzone. The blind I use is a double bull i love how the windows open giving you the best shot opportunity IMO.

10. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I typically hunt out of a blind, and like others, set up decoys about 10 yards. I shot my first (and only) bird in between my blind and decoys about 7 yards.
    I've set up a turkey target at 50 yards and could nail it in the kill zone, but would never try it on a live bird. I feel extremely confident at 30 yards max. Remember, your trying to hit a baseball size kill zone if aiming for vitals.

11. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Today I received an online message from Wing Supply about a sale on Avian X decoys, so I took a look. Excellent price on the Lookout Hen, so I dropped the hammer on one. Along with my Dakota Jake, I am hoping they will be too enticing to ignore by an ornery old tom this spring.

IndianaBowHunter18 likes this.
  12. swatrrts

swatrrts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Magnus bullhead I don't shoot any further than 25 yards that is my comfort zone then for a blind I use either redneck bale blind or a primos pop-up and go blind but I either hunt alot of hay field's or brushy out crops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my 19th year of bow hunting turkeys. When I started, we were using noisy, hard plastic decoys that looked like crap. lol. The improvement in equipment over that time span has been amazing. Everything from clothing, calls, turkey vests, decoys, range finders, broad heads, optics and bows. My very first bow hunt for turkeys ended in 20 minutes with a gobbler dead at 13 yards. It was easy right!? Wow, was I in for a lot of frustration after that. There are so many close calls when bow hunting that don't end up in a shot taken. It certainly makes a good turkey hunter out of you to become consistent at killing them with a bow. A little luck never hurts either. My farthest kill was 33 yards. I set the decoys up within 15 yards of my blind in the open areas and closer in the thick stuff. My average kill is probably about 12 yards and I have always just used my Muzzy 3 blades. I have only lost two in well over 30 shot. (two tag limit at home and multiple states hunted) With that being said, I still think I am going to switch to a large mechanical for turkeys this year. I hate them for deer, but think they are designed perfectly for anchoring turkeys. My best advice would be to study the anatomy! It will very likely surprise you. Most lost birds are the result of shooting too far forward. Breaking down the hips on a broadside shot has been very effective for me.

tree_ghost likes this.